X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Slicker brush for maltipoo

Hi!

I need a slicker brush for my Maltipoo.

I need one that works to get his hair fluffy. Our puppy is 4 months old and very well behaved so having something that's gentle on him is not important (my cats another story).

I want whatever will make his coat the most fluffiest it can be.

I find I brush out his curls on his chest and feet, and they are curled again in 20 min.
    Attached Files

The Les Pooch brushes are excellent for slickers.

Your puppy is not going to be fluffy his entire life though, you might have to get used to it! Especially if it's starting to curl now, most likely after his coat changes to an adult coat it will be curly. If he gets wet or it's humid his fur is going to curl in no time.

Comment

It isn't so much the brush as the drying process. Your puppy looks like it will have more of a poodle type coat so it's going to be curly. The best you can do is back brush with a slicker while your blow drying the puppy. If the puppy air dries he will be curly again shortly after a brushing. Any slicker brush should be okay just make sure you stretch that hair nice and straight while drying.

Comment

Can I ask if the Bichons stay poofy all the time with grooming? Many videos on Youtube they are poofy looking.

After a shower and blow-dry he's really white and fluffy. That can last maybe a day or two.

I was hoping he could be fluffy all the time. I thought that what causes the curliness was mats. This dog doesn't seem to have any mats, but his coat in certain areas goes back to being curly.

Is there anything I can do so he stays poofy all the time? Here is another pic after he's been brushed.
        Attached Files

Comment

The more wiry the coat is, the longer the straight styling after a grooming will last. Brushing helps keep it that way, of course, but if her coat is soft and cottony (the way most poodle mixes are) the curlier it usually lays. It sounds like you may just have to get used to her being curly at some point!

Bichons have a more wiry coat than poodles, and def more wiry than poo mixes, so they usually stay straight for a fair amount of time after a groom. Say, a week maybe depending on care level. But my guess is most people film their dog right after a grooming so it looks its best or it's internet debut.
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
            The more wiry the coat is, the longer the straight styling after a grooming will last. Brushing helps keep it that way, of course, but if her coat is soft and cottony (the way most poodle mixes are) the curlier it usually lays. It sounds like you may just have to get used to her being curly at some point!

Bichons have a more wiry coat than poodles, and def more wiry than poo mixes, so they usually stay straight for a fair amount of time after a groom. Say, a week maybe depending on care level. But my guess is most people film their dog right after a grooming so it looks its best or it's internet debut.
            Oh wow that's so disappointing to hear I had no Idea. It's like I brush and brush and then 20 min later it 'settles' into waviness. The hairs also don't stay separated. This seems to get more challenging the older he gets.

I also think you're right about the filming of the dogs. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crush View Post
              Can I ask if the Bichons stay poofy all the time with grooming? Many videos on Youtube they are poofy looking.

After a shower and blow-dry he's really white and fluffy. That can last maybe a day or two.

I was hoping he could be fluffy all the time. I thought that what causes the curliness was mats. This dog doesn't seem to have any mats, but his coat in certain areas goes back to being curly.

Is there anything I can do so he stays poofy all the time? Here is another pic after he's been brushed.
              They wont stay fluffy looking unless they get brushed & combed to the skin daily. It will stay fluffier looking if you keep it a little shorter. If you skip a few days brushing, it will curl and start to pack down like a sheep.

Comment

AS groomers, we intentionally straighten that hair by using blow dryers, a brush, and heat. Your hand held blow dryer for your own hair may be too hot, so be careful.

A stand dryer works wonders but they are pricey. You need a COMB, to separate and pull that hair out away from the skin a bit. But yes, it will go back to being curly.

I have to add, though, the longer the hair is, the fluffier it will look. I bathe my toy poodle weekly, then comb him out, it last for a few days if I comb daily.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Static can cause the hair to stick together. I like to use a light conditioner on my curly dogs and of course stretch dry the hair. You can add products to the coat, such a texturizer (like Chris Christensen Thick n' Thicker spray or gel), to help the coat not be too soft afterward and to help hold the shape. Regardless of what you do, if the coat is naturally even a little curly, nothing will make it stay straight forever.

Comment

the green brush made by les poochs is very gentle and is very good quality. You'll also need a comb, that will help seperate the hair more, and hopefully make his feet a little fluffier too. I agree with everyone else though, that is just the way his hair is, unless you brush him many times a day!

Comment

It will help if you use a very light misting of water when you brush him and then brush and comb it straight until there is no dampness. This will also help keep the skin hydrated (if you do it daily), as well as controlling breakage of the coat from brushing. Also, as he gets his adult texture in his coat it may make it easier to keep it fluffy.

Comment

Crush, Im not gonna add anything but I gotta say, Im mucho impressed that you're adamant about properly taking care of your adorable pup! You sound like the perfect client to me!
                        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Thanks.

Yeah I brush him every day and it doesn't last long afterwards. I should make a video showing what I mean.

After a bath, it does stay nice a lot longer. With brushing arond 3 days but then it goes back to 'settling' into its own groove.

I'm trying to keep it long because it's winter up here.

I'll try to mist him with water and see if it works. This one post I read said to actually take chalk powder and put it in the coat. I'm willing to try that. Has anyone heard of that? It seems that the more oily it gets, the more it's likely to clump. Maybe the powder keeps it from matting down?

Comment

Hes still a puppy so his adult hair has not grown in yet.Your best choice of brush for this coat is a pin brush for regular every day use it will not damage the coat the way a slicker brush will.any slicker brush will work when it comes to removing mats if the pin brush cant get through.. if you have to go that route ..as well as a comb for finding them.try to avoid bathing him too often or toweling him if he gets wet or muddy.As his hair grows out the natural weight of his hair may help it lessen the curls( this is a maybe ).

Comment

where are you at? Stretch drying is sorta hard to explain, but maybe you can meet with someone on here, see their equip, and get a short demo. I would be willing to show you if you were in my area.

Comment

Working...
                              X