Cats and Coyotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats and Coyotes

Interesting article on growing coyote populations that are banqueting on cats and small dogs. They are a growing problem (in our area too) and something that Animal Control isn't prepared to deal with, I'm sure.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/cat-lovers-...ory?id=9252158
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

have lots of coyotes where i live and i do not live in the country either,ive had my feline soulmate taken by a coyote,and my neighbor had her cat and 30 pound dog taken by coyotes on the same day,they actually jumped her fence to get to these poor babies i felt so awful for her as shes elderly and these 2 pets where all she had

Comment

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
      Interesting article on growing coyote populations that are banqueting on cats and small dogs. They are a growing problem (in our area too) and something that Animal Control isn't prepared to deal with, I'm sure.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/cat-lovers-...ory?id=9252158
      Majority of the public does not know this ,However when the coyote population explodes as it does every so often the government releases a limited number of coyote permits(hunting)by state to reduce the population. These permits are purchased through a lottery not every person wanting to purchase one gets one.

Comment

My mom lives in the mountains of NM. Yes, they have lots of problems with coyotes taking cats, but an even bigger problem persists from Great Horned Owls and Bald Eagles, who readily snatch cats and small dogs (not even gonna start on the number of bobcats, cougars, and black bears they have up there - like flies on a rib roast). My mom's neighber actually SAW her cat taken by an owl, not 2 feet outside her kitchen window, in broad daylight. Folks up there have lost so many small animals that my mom decided her westies would NOT be on the menu, and had her entire deck "caged" with hardware cloth, right up to the eaves. Not even a week later, she saw her dogs outside, playing on the deck. Perched in a tree a mere foot from the wiring was an enormous eagle. Alas, the eagle was forced to seek other ways to supplement his diet, cuz westie is no longer on the menu up there!
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

I live right downtown and see them regularly in the park across the street in the wee hours of the morning. My kittehs and chihuahuas are forbidden to go outside. I'm afraid of eagles too. Coyotes are a problem in downtown Vancouver and are even raising litters in Stanley Park.
          "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Yup. Survival of the Fittest

My husband and FIL go out and hunt coyotes "cause they're varmits." I don't really like the idea; to me, it's like shooting a dog. But too many people move to less populated areas, then complain when little Tabby gets eaten by a coyote. Give me a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabearwith2 View Post
              But too many people move to less populated areas, then complain when little Tabby gets eaten by a coyote. Give me a break!
              It has nothing to do with less populated areas. I live in a city of over 100,000 with a dense population. Since I've been in business I've had 4 customers lose their dogs to coyotes, and 1 that was a near miss. She was less than 20 feet away from her dog when a coyote ran up the side of her house in the driveway and snatched her dog. Luckily the dog was apparently a little too heavy becuase the coyote dropped it. The dog sustained injuries.
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I don't live in a less populated area, but we have a large pack living in the fields behind my house. At night when I take my dogs out for their final potty run I can hear them howling. And sometimes I see their eyes glowing as they're watching to see if I'll leave the dogs out alone, so they can have a little snack. Not a chance of that happening, LOL.

There really are too many coyotes around here. Way too many. I wish they'd issue a few permits for hunters to thin 'em out a bit. I get sick of them eating my tomatoes every summer. And yes, it's coyotes. I've caught 'em "red pawed".

Comment

My husband and FIL go out and hunt coyotes "cause they're varmits." I don't really like the idea; to me, it's like shooting a dog. But too many people move to less populated areas, then complain when little Tabby gets eaten by a coyote. Give me a break!
                  When little tabby is left to wander outside unsupervised she/he's at risk for a lot of terrible things. Coyotes are just one on a looong list of ways to be killed or injured.
                  "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

right here in old town,10 to 20 miles in any direction from open land coyotes come into the parks and clean up the picnic leftovers, sadly there are always missing pet posters around the parks. we had a coyote x , he did'nt eat small cats or dogs but mice and moles were on the table.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                      It has nothing to do with less populated areas. I live in a city of over 100,000 with a dense population. Since I've been in business I've had 4 customers lose their dogs to coyotes, and 1 that was a near miss. She was less than 20 feet away from her dog when a coyote ran up the side of her house in the driveway and snatched her dog. Luckily the dog was apparently a little too heavy becuase the coyote dropped it. The dog sustained injuries.
                      I stand corrected. We're just more "in the country" and people who move here complain about this very same thing.

Comment

Shooting is only temporary

There are studies that have shown that shooting coyotes just temporarily suppresses their numbers because they respond by having more and larger litters.

Keep your cats in, watch over your dogs. (Flame suit on...)

Comment

There is a beautiful

Coyote that lives on the hill across the street from me. I don't have cats partly because of the hills I live in. My dogs sound like a big pack and it would not come towards my fencing. I like to see it but I know about the dangers. I swear it looks like someone did a beautful grooming on the lovely gray and reddish coat. I see it usually at least once a day - my dogs warn me it's around so I go out and watch him/her.
                          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

know a person that was driving down a country road, hit something, backs up gets out, thinking he hit a coyote. Looks closer, has an id collar on with phone number-he has hit a wolf. calls the number to report hitting it and they try and tell him it's not a wolf. long story short- they tell him the released about a dozen wolfs' in our area to help kill the coyotes. doesn't that make you rest easier?

Comment

I stand corrected. We're just more "in the country" and people who move here complain about this very same thing.
                              I understand what you're saying. When I lived in the "country" I remember people from the city buying 2nd homes and then complaining because deer pooped in their back yard. How ridiculous is that?
                              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X