welch heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welch heads

i only do 2 welchs, just can;t seem to get the head right, the client is happy, i'm not.nice dogs and pwners, i just need some pointers on the head study. i'll try to post pics, not good at that either.
    Last edited by odette; 12-26-09, 03:41 PM.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

personally i think they look good and if the owners happy thats what matters

Comment

Here is a very good show shot of a welsh I found on the web (note it is welsh, not welch) terrier.
      Deidre
      Attached Files

Comment

Those pics are too small!! Are you using a phone or a camera? Can you increase the resolution?

Comment

lip line

WELSH heads are blocky looking not so stylized - you need to trim the hair up to upper lip
          look at a buch of pictures - Of course the show shots will be plucked- a different look entirely from pet trim but you can get a good facsimile if you scissor well.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfur View Post
            Those pics are too small!! Are you using a phone or a camera? Can you increase the resolution?
            I agree can't really tell with the pics so small. All I can see is the second ones "beard" is either uneven, or was dried funny and didn't get "unswirlied" (technical term). Sorry I am sure they looked better, I just can't tell cause of the pics.

The only Welsh (not grape jelly "welch") I do gets a haircut, the ower thnks is right, but is totally off.

"Baron" gets a #5 on his "jacket"/body, (the rest is in the owners words...) nothing on his sides, leave front of his chest (in between front legs), fluffy back legs, front legs like a schnauzer, no eyebrows, round tight beard.....

So I guess I would't be much help anyway. I used to do one "right", but it was a retired champion placed in a pet home. It was easy I just followed what was there with clippers, the new owners didn't want her stripped, and the breeder/previous owner had already started clippering her anyway.
            Last edited by stewiedog; 12-05-09, 11:21 PM.
            If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

One thing I see a lot of is if in doubt on a terrier, do a schnauzer head. (Got in a wire fox terrier two weeks ago whose face looked AWFUL, but I digress.) A lot of the long legged terriers get a very small beard. It still doesn't get trimmed unless its absolutely massive but it's not so voluminous. If they have a lot of facial hair I'll just take my thinners to keep 'em natural looking. The line goes from the corner of the eye to the corner of the lip. Much more exaggerated than a schnauzer. Your pics are really small so it's hard to see exactly whats where, but your eyebrows also look very bushy and long. I could give a better critique if I could see more.

Its supposed to look like a brick. Rectangular, so when I do the inside of the eyebrows I only thin out just a tiny bit here and there so, when viewed as profile, there is a straight line down the nose. You can turn your comb upside down and use it as a guide if you want. Remember, as pets, your groom is going to look exactly alike, but the show look is what you should aspire to. Unless, of course, otherwise requested.

Here are some of the better head pics I found:

http://www.breederweb.com/Pics/wel_terr.jpg
              http://www.puppal.com/images/breeds/...ge/lg_0148.jpg
              http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...ages/welsh.jpg

Here is the best, with the closest resolution, lots of detail!
              www.pbase.com/simonchandler/image/75562040

Hope it helps.

P.S. I know mom is happy, but it helps you be a better groomer when you know for sure what the breed profile is, so kudos to you for reaching out and learning! I know a lot of groomers that would just shrug it off.
              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

The main thing that stands out to me in your picture is the dip right at the stop. It should be more of a straight line from the top of the head down the nose, with less pronounced eyebrows. Leave a little fluff on top of the nose, particularly at the stop, to get that straight line.

It's hard to tell from the pics just how you are doing the beard, but you can fluff it up and scissor around the top part, rather than combing it down like a schnauzer, if that makes sense. Also, as someone mentioned, you should clip up the bottom part to leave just a goatee. If the dog opens his mouth, there will not be beard hanging off the bottom corners of the mouth; that should get clipped up to approx. where the canine teeth hang down, and leave a bit more hanging down in front of that part. Sorry I'm not good at explaining things! I love doing Welsh terrier heads though. I have a couple that I do and have looked at a lot of pictures and stuff online to learn what to do. I also was taught on one in school.

The pictures OntheBRINKofDisaster posted links to above are great!
                Last edited by Alice; 12-06-09, 06:42 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
                  Here is a very good show shot of a welsh I found on the web (note it is welsh, not welch) terrier.
                  Deidre
                  do you do an airedale head the same as this welsh,we dont get many airedales up here but i would love to see another on someday and want to be prepared

Comment

I don't usually comment on grooms, but I happen to love the "blockhead" styles (Ok, I know what some of you are thinking! LOL...).

Anyway, yours is a pretty easy fix. It's just too "soft"....you know..."rounded". Think in terms of straight lines on these breeds. I hope my pixs will help.
                    Attached Files
                    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                      The main thing that stands out to me in your picture is the dip right at the stop. It should be more of a straight line from the top of the head down the nose, with less pronounced eyebrows. Leave a little fluff on top of the nose, particularly at the stop, to get that straight line.

The pictures OntheBRINKofDisaster posted links to above are great!
                      o.k. you and mdm gave me aha i needed, i won't see the girls for a couple of myhs, it is the goatee, and the stop. eyebrows bug me. ear set is bad,so it throws me off.
                      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

The yellow or tan ss comb down these faces usually gives you a very good starting point for the rectangular style.

Comment

Here's what I see. Too much eyebrow, not enough fill, too much beard. The eyebrows should be short and angled deeply; from the corner of the nearest nostril to the outside corner of the eye.

Don't seperate the brows at the stop. Leave enough "fill" at the stop and down the bridge of the nose to scissor a flat profile.

The underjaw should be clipped short all the way to the canine teeth. They only get a goatee, not a full beard.

Scissor the face (0r skim with a blade) to get a brick shape. No rounding! Box the face.

Comment

Look @ AKC standards

If you look close Welch, Lakeland, Fox, & Airedale have the same head type & body

Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Randy LaFoy View Post
                              If you look close Welch, Lakeland, Fox, & Airedale have the same head type & body

Just a thought
                              Welshies and Aireheads have almost identical heads. But Lakies have more fall, Wire Fox's have a tighter, narrower head.

Comment

Working...
                              X