Need Some Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice Please

So I have a little delima. I have currently been worker as a groomer for roughly a year and a half. I would love to open my own business one day, and I am wanting to learn everything i can. But my big problem is that it seems like 90% of my clients really are not looking for a breed specific cut, so breed cuts are not really my strong area. I have looked into going into a private salon, but most people are not willing to hire someone they know is interested in owning their own salon. I am really stuck and cannot seem to get anywhere. I would love any advice if anyone has any ideas of how to better myself?

90% or more of my clients don't want "breed cuts". I wouldn't worry. I would still work for someone for awhile, I wouldn't go open a shop 1.5 yrs into this more for customer relations than for haircuts though.
    You will learn alot here, and buy "notes from the grooming table", Buy Jodie Murphy DVDs, and go to dog shows make friends with some exhibitors. Just make sure you wait and talk to them after they are done with judging.
    Most "pet" dogs you do will never be done to "breed standards" anyway, the owners will modify the cuts, just make sure you talk in length with the owners and you should do fine.
    For example most of the cockers I do get "hollowed out", or shorter tighter furnishings (skirts and legs), the owners still think they look like the dogs they see on T.V. thats all that matters, that Mom, and Dad are happy
    If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

Watch the shows. Seriously. See if you can intern with a handler on weekends, or at the very least, keep up with what the stud magazines are picturing. Buy some DVD's, and invest in Notes from the Grooming Table. (thats the best book I've read, at least. There are lots of others that I'm sure will be recommended.) But the best way to stay up to the minute with what is currently breed profile is to see what the show dogs look like and try to emulate the look.
      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

precut...

If the dog is getting shaved anyways why not practice the body patterns then. We used to do that when I was learning...Good Luck

Comment

You can always go to breeders and ask for tips on the breed specifics you're interested in, even shadow one for a few hours and watch how they do it.

You can get DVDs tutorials for each breed, and go to seminars also.

It also doesn't hurt to start your business and simply say to someone who wants a clip you're not familiar with "I can't do that, but let me send you to the groomer down the street who can." Especially if it's only 10% of your potential client base.

Comment

I'm of no help. But as a new groomer I'm finding that I always want to try for the breed specific cut but then the owners say it's not short enough. So all that tapering, thinning, fluffing etc., should've just been clipped off and been done with. Oh well. Live and learn.

Comment

duplicate post
              Last edited by Jedd; 12-04-09, 03:49 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Go to local dog shows in the morning and tour the grooming areas.

Comment

I am the "Queen of the Puppy Cut." I went mobile right out of grooming school so breed standard trims is a weak link for me. However, not one of my customers wants a long schnauzer beard and eyebrows to the tip of the nose. I have two small cockers, both shave downs. Nobody wants column legs and a mane on their poodle. They want short! When I try to leave it long, they say take it shorter. lol So, don't worry about it. In four years I finally got a round bichon head. All I do is look at "Notes From The Grooming Table" and then I wing it. The dog looks fine. I do go to seminars and watch DVD's. You can always print out pictures from the Internet too to help you along. I think you'll be fine if you do these things.
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thank you guys for the great ideas, I was really just stumped on what to do, but I think I got a game plan now. =0)

Comment

Working...
                    X