christmas rawhide concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christmas rawhide concern

I know there are a lot of cute holiday themed rawhides available this time of year and it can be a very affordable gift to hand out to clients. But I have some concerns and was wondering if I was the only one? I have seen way too many dogs choke on rawhides. So many owners are simply ignorant in the dangers of them. They don't supervise, don't take them away when they get too small, and the ones i usually see (candy cane, red and green bones) are usually small to begin with. I think it would just kill me if I gave out a gift that ended up causing harm to a pet. I don't know if I'm being overly cautious or what, but I was thinking that there might be a better way to still use those rawhides. I think the candycane rawhides could be turned into reaindeer ornaments so easily. I used to make them with real candy canes as a kid. Some google eyes, brown pipe cleaner for antlers, and a red pom for the nose (made lots of rudolphs) and then people would realize (plus you could put a tag) that they were for decoration only and to be put out of pets reach. Just thought it might be an idea for those worry warts like myself.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I only buy the compressed rawhide. It crumbles up and is swallowed easier.

Comment

I've thought the same thing before. I read someone talking about giving out rawhides for the holidays and the first thing that came to mind was my own fear of choking. I'm so paranoid for myself, you should see how tiny the pieces of treats I give to my dog are!

Comment

it isn't just the choking hazard they present, but many of the cheaper ones are made out of the country and bleached white with harmful chemicals.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
          it isn't just the choking hazard they present, but many of the cheaper ones are made out of the country and bleached white with harmful chemicals.
          one of the main reasons I will only purchase USA made rawhide.yes they cost a tad more but with all the chemical issues from foreign products not to mention keeping some jobs going here in the states that little extra cost is worth it to me

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
            I only buy the compressed rawhide. It crumbles up and is swallowed easier.
            Me too, for the exact same reason. If a dog swallows a big chunk of rawhide, he could either choke on it or have to pass a big piece of rawhide. The chipped and compressed ones crumble apart and even if they swallow a big piece, it will dissolve in their tummies.

Comment

For all the reasons above is why I don't give out rawhides for presents, what if it kill the dog then I would lose a customer and may get a lawsuit!!! I never give my own dog rawhides so why would I endanger others???

Comment

the compressed ones still have to make it to the stomach to dissolve. they can still get lodged in the throat. the only rawhide i buy is from merrick. www.merrickpetcare.com i still monitor when they get a treat.
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone, I thought I might be the only worry wart! I have seen over the years a lot of the groomers I've known hand out those twisted candy cane rawhides and those things just scare me. I never allowed them as gifts at any of the salons I ran. We'd hand out doggy treats with a peppermint candy cane for the owner if anything.
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                    . . . I never give my own dog rawhides so why would I endanger others???
                    My thoughts exactly!

Comment

bully sticks

Bully sticks are great, and so are knuckle bones. These are the only things I will give my dogs to chew.

Comment

Originally posted by 5SIBERIANS View Post
                        Bully sticks are great, and so are knuckle bones. These are the only things I will give my dogs to chew.
                        I love bully sticks! We get some from a local pet food company that has the animals on site, so we know exactly where they are coming from, they last for a very long time, and for us they are about .99 cents.

Why not try a 'candy shop' theme? I know it would be hard in mobile, but you could just do different types of treats in different bags and let your clients pick them. A 5 pound chihuahua wouldn't want the same type of treat as a great dane.

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                          For all the reasons above is why I don't give out rawhides for presents, what if it kill the dog then I would lose a customer and may get a lawsuit!!! I never give my own dog rawhides so why would I endanger others???
                          Ditto...plus my dogs just can't handle rawhide...(from a gastro-intestinal side of things )

Comment

I went to our pet bakery and bought red/green candy cane shaped cookies for Christmas treats this year, they are real cute.

Comment

I use lennox rawhide, their web states it is a 100% digestible, plus its flavored, and dogs love them.

Comment

Working...
                              X