Tip dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip dilemma

Tiny bit of background. There is a groomer that I have been training. She is up to three dogs a day. Sometimes I trade her dogs and have her groom one of "my" dogs. When that happens and the owner tips me I give her the tip.

Today she tells me that she has to leave early because her little girl is sick and she needs to take her to the doctor. Her third dog is a 131 pound Goldendoodle that is, of course, matted and the owner, of course, doesn't want him shaved. I trade her and I take the horse and give her an easy regular Shih Tzu. She got the dog mostly done, I just needed to finish the head. The owner tips three times her normal tip. I know this is my Christmas tip, so I didn't give the other groomer the tip. Now I am feeling slightly [I]sneaky.[/I]

So what would you do in a similar circumstance?
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

then give her what the owner normally tips and keep the rest as your xmas tip.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

that is your tip keyray.

thems the rules. i learned this one right quick when i started grooming at the shop i then bought. i was learning and never got that extra christmas tip that the full time groomer who had done the dog all year was to get. keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
        Now why didn't I think of that??? That is brilliant!

Comment

As you explained it-- it seems perfectly fair. Unless I misunderstood, which I am fabulous at doing!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I agree.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Very honest and fair. Good job Mary!
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I agree! Just give her the normal amount and keep the x-mas tip.....
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Ditto everyone else, thems the unspoken rules!

Comment

Kirstine, can I just tell you how much I respect you for even worrying about this?
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

This is what I would do.

Comment

How much did the 130 lb matted Doodle tip?

Comment

though Id tell the other girl and explain it to her that way you don't feel sneaky.

Comment

Originally posted by A1Mobile View Post
                            How much did the 130 lb matted Doodle tip?
                            THEY DIDN'T! Isn't that the way it always is. My best tippers are also the easiest dogs.

That is sweet, SnP, tips are holy in my opinion. You don't mess with another groomer's tips it would be like stealing their paycheck.

I did give the other groomer the normal amount. I feel really good about that. It seems so simple but it really never occurred to me.

Comment

Another tip dilemma

I have an elderly client with 3 dogs I groom and I do his cat's nails every 4 weeks. I am mobile. He has an obviously comfortable income. He is super nice. I am tipped generally $10-13 every time. Well, this last groom was the Christmas groom and he said there was a little extra in there for me and thanked me. Last year he gave me $50 at Christmas. Well, later when looking at the amount he really only tipped me $6. He pays cash. I think maybe he thought he gave me more than he did.

I guess it's not really a dilemma, but a bummer. I certainly am not going to say "Gee, did you mean to give me more?" But last year I wrote "thank yous" for all my Christmas gifts and tips that were beyond the norm. If he thinks he gave me more than he did, I will seem like an ingrate for not sending a "thank you" - or am I being overly concerned here?

Comment

Working...
                              X