I have NEVER seen a dog do this before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have NEVER seen a dog do this before

I got a new client in today with a very short dog that has a long body and the BIGGEST overbite I have ever seen. Dog has a little matting on his hind end so I start to clipper the mats off and I see his head bend down really quick and saw him suck up the hair off my table and proceed to eat it. I was surprised I thought maybe there was something appealing on the hair that he wanted to eat but as I continued he tried to snatch up every batch of hair that fell on my table. I was shocked. So after he was cleaned up and dried I go to finish him and he continues to do the same thing. I don't know if anyone has any insight on what could be causing him to eat his hair. It was like watching a vaccum suck up dirt it was quick and you did'nt notice unless you were watching him.

huh thats weird im interested to read what others say,ive had dogs that insist on licking up the shampoo

Comment

That's a new one, but I have a few that snatch cottonballs that I set down for their ear plugs and some that snack on their toenails - ew!

Comment

I couldn't tell you why they do what the do, but yes, I have had dogs try to eat hair. Not always their own, either! When I have one like that, I have to make sure the table is kept clean during the groom. I have also had dogs who eat dirty cotton balls and qtips...yuck!

Comment

Puppy?

Puppies tend to do this...

Comment

Is his name......

Hoover!!!!!

Comment

another groomer I worked with used to bring her dog to work, and he would wait for toe nails to be clipped and land on the floor and eat them, ewww!

Comment

I have one that eats her own hair and I mean she'll gobble that stuff up so I have to make sure the table stays clean and I have no idea why they do this. YUK!
                ~*~Robin~*~
                "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

My new poodle came from Lefty/Karen. She says he used to eat hair off the floor.

Maybe he is lacking keratin.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

yes, these are the lovely hair eaters. Once in a while i will come across this. it sucks because you have to take alot of time to brush ever peice of hair off the table! They usually eat cotton balls too. I usually think the dog is thinking "Thats mine! you cant have it, im taking it back!" and since they dont have s or pockets, they need to store it in their stomachs.

Comment

I guess they feel insecure about losing the hair,maybe they eat it so they don't actually feel as if they are losing it.In or on whats the difference lol

Comment

Its call pica. I use to groom as rottie that had surgery 2 different times to remove huge hair balls.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                          My new poodle came from Lefty/Karen. She says he used to eat hair off the floor.

Maybe he is lacking keratin.
                          >>>

Yeah, he picked it up from oneof the other dogs, Serj. Serj has done it since he was a puppy. It's just some sort of weird vice. It can be really hard on their teeth though. None of the other dogs do it, well, maybe Lilly, but she eats everything.

Comment

When I worked for the vet we had a client bring in her Golden who had to have surgery due to a huge hairball. The owner claimed the previous groomer had clipped him down and didn't prevent him from eating the fur she shaved off. Don't know how true that is of course, but the vet said the amount of hair they had to remove was a lot. Now I'm paranoid when I see a dog trying to eat their own fur. Of course this dog could have been chewing on itself or something and building that hairball in it's stomach from that. Who knows, but it's something I won't forget.
                            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by PugLove View Post
                              another groomer I worked with used to bring her dog to work, and he would wait for toe nails to be clipped and land on the floor and eat them, ewww!
                              That actually doesn't sound as weird to me. To a mouse a dog's nail clippings would be like a cow hoof.
                              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                              X