• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dog Daze
    Champion Member & Club 1,000
    • Feb 2008

Buying registered dog owner lists

Has anyone done this and mailed out postcards?

Do you find you get enough business to make it worth the money?
  • LJRSnowcat
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Oct 2007

Can't you get this from the city for free?

Comment

• lyttleravyn
      • Jun 2007

Some municipalities charge you a small fee for printing the list (price per page). However when I worked for another company and they wanted to do this, I got a lot of **** from one clerk at a municipality (like she was yelling at me). So I dunno if every municipality gives out the lists.

Comment

• Dog Daze
        • Feb 2008

Can't get it for free it's .50 cents per page and 100 pages so $50.00 each for two different towns

Comment

• workingchihuahua
          • Jan 2007

when i worked at a shop, i did that. got alot of business that way.
          Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
          "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

• NCGroom
            Toy Member
            • Mar 2008

My own city has a privacy rule, so I couldn't get the list from them, but I did get it for the neigboring city, which is just a couple of miles away. I got it for free, but it had data for the last ten years!! There were thousands upon thousands of names. I started narrowing it down by zip code, dogs only, breeds I like best, etc. Even after narrowing it down, there were still about six thousand names, so I didn't end up doing anything with the list at all. It was a little overwhelming. Fortunately, I didn't end up needing the business anyway... I can barely take any new clients now as it is.

Comment

• windywaycavaliers
              Grand Champion & Club 5,000
              • Jan 2008

I have done this many times--always well worth it! I always insert a coupon into the flier--works great!
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

• gottalovegracie
                Miniature Member
                • Oct 2008

I did it when I first started. My city gave it free. I got quite a bit of business from it. The only bad part was when one of the people that got a postcard called me and said her dog had "passed away and she didn't appreciate getting things like this in her mail"!!?? Yikes...she was not happy. Didn't really know what to say??:x

Comment

• SiberianLover
                  • Oct 2007

My city had so many that they were on cd, and would have cost me $300. No thanks....I'll come up with something else.
                  Last edited by SiberianLover; 12-03-09, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Dog Daze
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gottalovegracie View Post
                    I did it when I first started. My city gave it free. I got quite a bit of business from it. The only bad part was when one of the people that got a postcard called me and said her dog had "passed away and she didn't appreciate getting things like this in her mail"!!?? Yikes...she was not happy. Didn't really know what to say??:x
                    Oh yeah I didn't even think of that I know the town clerk doesn't keep the most up to date records cause they will sometimes keep sending you a dog license form and demand for years after that dog has passed.

Comment

Working...
                    X