I got my Wheaten back in nearly one piece! -pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my Wheaten back in nearly one piece! -pics

I'm so ecstatic I got my Duffie back for APF this year. She was in a horrid clip, but surprisingly had coat to work with. She needs to fill in quite a bit, in the end I think we will have just enough coat! She will not have the full beautiful coat like last year, but it u'll do I will post a pic of her from last year first and then the before pictures from now. However! I will be saving the after pics just in case they do Rags to Riches again, sry girls. I think I have one of her sitting down I might put at the end, but no body shots ;P

OooAND vury importanta! I need a recommendation for a high quality shampoo. I need something good for terriers and frequent bathing. The owner only had one quarrel with my using her again and that was he 'thought' that the weekly/bi-weekly bathing before the last show was drying her skin out. Now I am not sure that was the case at all, but I am still gonna ask and try something else just to make him happy. She is very sensitive when it comes to diet and I have never seen any flakes. She gets those little sore spots that end up making her itchy thus causing hot spots. Anything?
    Attached Files

Frequent Bathing shampoo

Depending on how much you want to spend, when I was showing my Wheaties, I used Crown Royal shampoo and conditioner. The other shampoos that I have had much success with are Nature's Specialties Lavenderm, and Wild Animal (Laube) Wild Thang Shampoo and Conditioners. Hope this helps.

Lydia

Comment

Sore spots that turn into hot spots sound like staph infection. Do they start as small pimples and grow into small hotspots and then turn brow? My Leo had that and vet put him on atbx for two weeks and it went away.
      I would think that any gentle shampoo+ very diluted conditioner would be good.

Comment

I use Crown Royal on my terriers...but...Terriers should only be bathed when dirty. Just my opinion and to be honest most terrier breeders, the less bathing the better the coat condition. Mind you the softer the coat (less harsh) you may need more tub time. I tried #1 All Systems Crisp Coat..it was ok but I still prefer CR.

Comment

Originally posted by lexapurple View Post
          Sore spots that turn into hot spots sound like staph infection. Do they start as small pimples and grow into small hotspots and then turn brow? My Leo had that and vet put him on atbx for two weeks and it went away.
          I would think that any gentle shampoo+ very diluted conditioner would be good.
          Nono, the spots don't 'turn' into hot spots. She will scratch at them and cause hot spots in the area. She has a lot of allergies and breaks out periodically. Not all over her body, just a bit here and there.

Comment

Antibacterial shampoo??

Show Seasons "Soothe" has been a great shampoo for some of our itchy/irritated clients. It has chlorhexadine (sp?) and says it has antibacterial/antifungal properties.

Eqyss MicroTek is fabulous for similar properties for itching/flaking/irritated dogs, however, it makes the coats rather "luxurious", (i.e. softer than you might like - however, could be a good one to start with to keep skin calmed).

Both these are wonderful, as is Tropiclean Oxy-Med for irritated skin. Just something to possibly use to help keep her skin calm and non-irritated if she has those outbreaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Addiron View Post
              ...Terriers should only be bathed when dirty. Just my opinion and to be honest most terrier breeders, the less bathing the better the coat condition. Mind you the softer the coat (less harsh) you may need more tub time. I tried #1 All Systems Crisp Coat..it was ok but I still prefer CR.
              For a Wire Fox, a Sealy, an Irish, any hand-stripped terrier, sure... but a Wheatie? "the softer the coat..." -they're "Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers". They need to be kept clean and brushed out.

I've had good Wheaten results with Nature's Specialties Coconut Clean, or Plum Silky, Summerwinds clarifying and medicated, Les Poochs Hypo, and several others. A lot is going to depend on the individual dog.

With her history of skin issues, I'd go for something mild like the LP Hypo, be sure to rinse extra well, be sure she's dry to the skin, and don't over condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Addiron View Post
                I use Crown Royal on my terriers...but...Terriers should only be bathed when dirty. Just my opinion and to be honest most terrier breeders, the less bathing the better the coat condition. Mind you the softer the coat (less harsh) you may need more tub time. I tried #1 All Systems Crisp Coat..it was ok but I still prefer CR.
                A Soft Coated Wheaten is different than the wirey hand stripped types.

I would say use PLUM SILKY by Nature's Specialties. It cleans well on a dog that is bathed weekly, without drying the coat out. I love it.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Kifaru that is why I said a softer coated terrier will most likely need more bath time. My concern was over doing it weekly/bi-weekly. Both shampoos I mentioned are used for wire and double coated breeds. The 2 shampoos I mention are made for this type of coat. CR formula #3 and Crisp Coat. Yes, I know the difference in the coat type of a hard coated terrier and a soft coat. Again the point I was making was bathing too much..again weekly or bi-weekly in my opinion may not be good for the coat. Again just my opinion.

Addison

Comment

Wash that puppy!

As often as you can to get that coat in the best condition possible. Keeping the coat hydrated is important to keeping the hair flexable. Soak in a good conditioning shampoo for several minutes and rinse throughly. I prefer Les Poochs shampoo and conditioner. Condition after washing and rinse well again. Letting the skin soak up water is great. Dogs showing every week get washed every day they show. I use the Les Poochs MedAcetic for frequent washing as it helps to keep bacteria under control, which may help your skin condition.
                    We wash the Sealy's furnishing's every day they show, sometimes several times. Not the body.

Comment

Working...
                    X