Righty or lefty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Righty or lefty?

do you think dogs have "sides" like we're right handed or left handed? I swear the majority of the dogs I do prefer one side over the other. It's just something I was thinknig about and wondering if anyone had thought the same thing? My own dogs seem to prefer sleeping on one side more than they other and many dogs I do will always want to face one direction, giving me one side, vs the other. In the shops they always wanted to face the door so I never really noticed. Now with no real door for them to look to for rescue from mom/dad I am really seeing a preferance.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I have actually noticed that too. Just like many are more sensitive about their front feet than their back ones, they seem to be even more sensitive about one front foot over the other. I have noticed it is usually the front left foot they are more sensitive about, course I don't really know if that means they are right or left handed though.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

Comment

I have read that they do and often you can tell which side they favour.

Comment

I worked at a big box store and one of the trainers had a public training session during a holiday. She taught a customer's dog how to wave and remarked, "See how he picked his left paw? Most dogs are left handed." I don't know if this is true but have noticed that when a dog is sensitive with it's paws, usually the front left is the most sensitive.

Comment

Yes, of course

And horses do, too.

Comment

Like Debbie said, most horses are lefties. Dogs? I don't know what most dogs are. But Oli sleeps on his back. Does that mean he's ambidextrus?

Comment

You can sometimes tell by the wear on the front nails whether they are right-footed or left-footed.

Comment

watch which paw they lead off with or hold a toy, bone with,one of mine is a lefty,one a righty. just what i think.( maybe i spend tooo much time with them)
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Southpaws

Yes, most, if not all, dogs are left-handed. Try teaching shake or touch, always they offer the left. Had a treat machine in my shop, and my dogs always used the left paw to get the cookies.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Well, no wonder I love dogs so much, I have more in common w/ them then most humans-being lefty!!
                    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                    -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                    X