Looking for dog treat recipes for xmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for dog treat recipes for xmas

I want to hand make - or make my daughter hand make lol- some treats to give out for Christmas to my clients. I knew that you guys would be able to give me a safe recipe and also some things I can use to "decorate" them too. Like what is the "chocolate" they dip them in, carob? Anyway if someone could give me any cool ideas that will make them look like they came out of Martha Stewarts kitchen I would love ya forever!

You got me curious, so I googled it! I found this website:

http://www.homemadedogtreats.net/

Looks like there's some pretty tasty recipes on there! I may just make some for a few of our favorite customers, too. Good idea!

Comment

OOh dog treats!! I love making homemade ones! I suck and coming up with my own recipes so I cheated and bought a Three Dog Bakery cookbook. LOL Since all the ingredients are almost the same as what you would find in human cookies and such.. the treats are also edible by people. Yes, I've tasted the dog treats. LOL Not half bad either! No sugar is used so not as sweet as people cookies, but its not bland either since natual sweetners are used - like honey and molasses.

As for decorating ideas... carob is what I believe most use as a chocolate substitute. I've never cooked with carob before, but I would guess same as chocolate - melt it and dip the treat in or drizzle it on the dog treat.

I suppose you can use fresh fruit (apples, cranberries, blueberries) and veggies as some sort of decoration as well.

Comment

doing the same thing here.http://www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange...t-recipes.html
        if you have dogs that cannot have wheat or corn in their diets you can substitute flour with rice or barley flour

Comment

Dog treats

I also Wanted to do the same thing, so I found a website gourmetsleuth.com and tried a batch of cookies and my dogs love them. They were the cluck-a-doodle-doggie treats. They have chicken livers baked in them,The only problem is you have to keep them refridgerated, at least I did. Good Luck!!

Comment

Me to ME to

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
            doing the same thing here.http://www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange...t-recipes.html
            if you have dogs that cannot have wheat or corn in their diets you can substitute flour with rice or barley flour
            Thanks I also have been thinking of baking dogtreats. My dogs have a routein in the mornings going out side with an outside biscit. It would be nice to give them one that I made.

Take care OLGA

Comment

Recipe

I made these (lots and lots of these) for my clients. So far, I've had good reviews.

Gourmet Dog Biscuits
              Yield: Makes about 5 dozen biscuits Active time: 40 min Total time: 9 1/4 hr
              Ingredients
              • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
              • 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
              • 1 1/4 cups rye flour (substituting - recipe calls for cornmeal)
              • 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
              • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
              • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
              • 1 tablespoon baking powder
              • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
              • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
              • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter/margarine, cut into tablespoon pieces
              • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
              • 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley – I substituted1/3 cup dry parsley flakes
              • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
              • 1 large egg

Preparation
              Pulse flours, oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-size butter lumps. Add 1 cup water and pulse until a coarse, dense dough forms.
              Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in parsley and mint until well distributed. Gather, then, halve dough with scraper. Form into 2 balls and flatten each into a 6-inch disk.
              Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
              Roll out 1 disk of dough into a round (1/3 inch thick) on a well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin. (If dough becomes too soft to roll out, wrap in plastic and chill until firm.) Cut out as many biscuits as possible and arrange about 1/4 inch apart on 1 baking sheet. I would like to use different shape/size cutters for variety.
              Gather scraps and reroll, then cut out more biscuits. Repeat with remaining dough, using other baking sheet.
              Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush biscuits with egg wash and bake, switching position of sheets halfway through, until tops are golden brown, about 35 minutes total. Turn off oven and dry biscuits in oven overnight.

* Biscuits keep, layered between sheets of wax paper or parchment, in an airtight container at room temperature 1 month.
              Last edited by Cat Crazy; 12-01-09, 03:44 PM. Reason: Hit enter too soon
              "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here if the recipe I use every year and the dogs LOVE them! Very easy to make. But they will spoil if left at room temp and not eaten in about a week. You can refrigerate them to keep them fresher longer. I guess its the p-nut butter that makes them spoil more quickly.

1 1/2 cups water
                1/2 cup Veg Oil
                2 med eggs
                1/4 cup p-nut butter
                2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
                2 Tablespoons vanilla
                2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
                3/4 cup unbleached white flour
                1 cup cornmeal
                3/4 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare an ungreased cookie sheet
                In a bowl combine water, oil, eggs, p-nut butter, brown sugar and vanilla
                In a separate bowl combine the flours, oats, and cornmeal
                Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and beat with mixer until smooth
                Roll the dough into a ball and place on a floured sheet of wax paper
                Roll out the dough to approx 1/2 inch thick
                Cut the dough into shapes and place on the ungreased cookie sheet
                Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Comment

now a while back I worked for a vets office and we stocked natural dog foods along with the foods there was a company(local) they made cookies for dogs they used only human grade ingredients and only wholesome ones too no sugar no wheat etc I was looking for recipes to match these cookies I mean honestly these dog cookies were delicious I had a hard time keeping my kids out of them and my dogs loved them..this is my goal for my dogs cookies good for dogs but taste good enough for me to want to eat .not that I want to but I think it would be nice for a dog to get a treat that doesn't taste like dog food all the time lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X