Dreaded Price Increase Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded Price Increase Question...

I have not increased my prices in a few years (I know, I'm bad) but now is the time. What is the best way to introduce this? What % do you increase? I'm thinking about a $5 increase across the board. I'm currenty not the cheapest, nor will this increase put me as the highest. Just need some sugestions!

My approach this year

Since the busy season is coming and you will see almost everyone, you could put a notice up and/or verbally inform all your current clients that the price will be increasing Jan 1.

For NEW clients, give them the increased price now so that the second time they come in they aren't "hit" with a $5 increase. That's my plan for this year - all new clients wanting Christmas grooms will be at the "new" price.

Of course, you could just get EVERYONE at Christmas this year with the increase - no warning - and then explain to any who ask that you have had no increase for years, so you have finally gone up.

Some people argue more than others, but I don't recall my hairdressers ever posting notices of increases...

Comment

I've got one client that is paying below my new minimum groom charge. Last appointment, she asked "$XX?" I said "yes" and that there will be an increase at the first on the year ($5). She didn't seem to act like it's a big deal. Probably appreciated the heads up.
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Our prices go up on March 1st, we put up a sign in Dec. and all new people get the new price now.

Comment

debbiedogs

i loved your christmas price increase idea instead of waiting till jan. working well for me. ive slipped 2010 prices into my 2009 prices over the last few months. don't got them all there, but the ones that haven't been in over a while, they definately have gotten my 2010 prices. a few balk ......... but oh well.

alabammagroomer just do it, we do not owe anybody anything and if it is still reasonable they go for it. and if they don't, you just start targeting a different demographic. it truly is a win win all around. less dogs a few more bucks, all is equal at the least. but for me so far i am making a few more bucks in addition to weeding a little bit so to speak.

i post on the door that they exit through. just be straight to the point. smiling is optional.

Comment

I don't give any heads up, just do it. Nary a complaint, only one cheapo guy made a comment that this dog is getting expensive, but didn't complain about price at all. Everything is going up, why should grooming be any different? I usually raise a couple bucks per year, but this year I am going up anywhere from $3-10 per dog...

Comment

Its traditional in Aust to see price increases as of july 1st ,being the first day of the new 'financial' year. people seem to expect it at that time of year ,but seem a bit surprised if you do it any other time.

GO FOR IT! you will not only earn more and keep up with rising costs,but you will end up with a better class of client

Comment

i prefer increasing prices by percentage. Think about it, a five dollar increase for a chi bath is ALOT more than $5 more for a St. Bernard, so that would be a pretty harsh increase for the chi owner and not really enough for the St. Bernard.

Comment

no explanations needed. when i do an increase i inform them at the time of the groom that the next groom will be increased. i've never lost a customer to a price increase.
                  Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                  "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by alabamagroomer View Post
                    I have not increased my prices in a few years (I know, I'm bad) but now is the time. What is the best way to introduce this? What % do you increase? I'm thinking about a $5 increase across the board. I'm currenty not the cheapest, nor will this increase put me as the highest. Just need some sugestions!

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm doing a $5.00 increase in Jan. I will tell people in Jan that the price increase will be effective with their next appt, so they will have a bit of a notice. Not that $5.00 should break anyones bank account, and I have not raised prices in approx 3 years (bad me!), so I dont expect to get a lot of whining. All new people have been paying the increased amount since about September. But I too have a question, do you increase it per dog or per stop? Since I have a lot of multi pet clients, if I do it per pet, it could raise their total by $15-20 and that may cause some problems. I'm thinking about increasing it per stop. Suggestions?

Comment

I work in a small corporate salon; we have a big poster right outside the groom room door listing out prices; we went up on a number of breeds; owner's can't complain; it is posted right outside; they cant say they didnt know the price; it is right there in big numbers. They stand and look right at it as they come in.
                      Deidre

Comment

Originally posted by winterroo View Post
                        I don't give any heads up, just do it. Nary a complaint, only one cheapo guy made a comment that this dog is getting expensive, but didn't complain about price at all.
                        Lucky you. In the past when I've tried to increase very outdated prices, I heard so much belly achin'!
                        That Tenacious Terrier!
                        www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by puppy love View Post
                          I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm doing a $5.00 increase in Jan. I will tell people in Jan that the price increase will be effective with their next appt, so they will have a bit of a notice. Not that $5.00 should break anyones bank account, and I have not raised prices in approx 3 years (bad me!), so I dont expect to get a lot of whining. All new people have been paying the increased amount since about September. But I too have a question, do you increase it per dog or per stop? Since I have a lot of multi pet clients, if I do it per pet, it could raise their total by $15-20 and that may cause some problems. I'm thinking about increasing it per stop. Suggestions?
                          Don't be such a chicken! LOL! I'm raising my prices per pet. I got the best pep talk from my hairdresser's wife. She handles the books and is such a great business lady. She told me to tell each client (I'm mobile too) that my prices will be increasing after the first of the year "a little bit." Tell them this after you have groomed their pet in Dec so they know in advance for Jan. If they say "geez, why so expensive?" or something similar, just say, "everything's going up." They're not stupid. People will try to get away with what they can. Think about how much more you'll be paying for gas, shampoo, ect. why Not raise your prices per pet? I started a thread in the mobile grooming forum about this entitled "The Time Has Come..." It's way back on the bottom of page 4. Everyone who chimed in had pretty good advice.

Comment

Its all about the presentation! I raise my prices every year. I find if you keep it short and sweet with a confidant attitude people usualy don't say boo about it.... Now I have watched my employees dance around the topic with clients and it never goes well... they can smell the fear! When they ask why, and they will, be prepared with a short simple answer.Look em in the eye and tell them how its gonna be. If you don't believe in your priceing they won't either! GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Make it an odd number

Price it accordingly so that you can 'keep the change'. Something like $61, 52 or something along them lines.

Keep in mind that the US Mint prints more twenties and singles than any other denomination. Just check your wallet and see.

After all, it's all about the take home.

Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X