NGR:spaying kittehs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGR:spaying kittehs

My mom has this female cat. Practically feral if you ask me, no one can pet the thing except mom. The only time this cat lets anyone else touch it is when she is in heat (the kitteh of course). I went to visit today that cat would let me pet it all over, I was shocked to say the least. Well, my parents are pretty low income and most of their money is spent on things they need more so than the animals. I am also a huge proponent of the spay/neuter thing. I have been playing around w/ getting this cat spayed for my mom. This cat is about 2yrs old, never had babies or anything as they do well w/ keeping it inside. My question is really, will the spay affect her attitude greatly? I'm a dog person, all my adult life I've had dogs, even the cats we had growing up were all male. I would wonder if she would get more loving because of the lack of hormones or if she just would revert back to the never letting anyone touch her except mom. I suppose it really doesn't matter as I still want to get her spayed, but it would be a shame if she lost the extra human contact that she gets those few times when she is in heat. Any comments welcome.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

LVT note

I have never seen a cat, feral or otherwise, react negatively to being spayed. Most will calm down dramatically after a month or so, when their hormones level off. However, it seems to me that this cat needs more socialization as well. Then again, it's a cat, and we all know how they want what they want when they want it (so much like a woman! haha).

Have to ask, do you think it has Siamese in there? A Calico? Mmmm that was stereotypical of me. Sorry. hehe

Comment

Im not sure if the spaying will help or not when it comes to the attitude she has with people, but I can tell you years ago my cat had kittens they were all so lovable.My kids tormented them especially my youngest she was I think 4 at the time.When I say torment it was in a good way one of the kittens would just follow her everywhere begging to be held cuddled petted you name it this kitten wanted any affection it could possibly find.My MIL cat pasted away from old age it hated people so it hid when anyone was around .Well she wanted another so we gave her this over lovable kitten knowing it would be social and loving.We found out wrong this poor lovable kitten turned into her old crotchety cant get near me cat.. it loved my MIL but it hated others.sometimes its not only the cat but the owners as well how its handled etc.it's so hard to tell sometimes how things will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Groomerchick View Post
        However, it seems to me that this cat needs more socialization as well. Then again, it's a cat, and we all know how they want what they want when they want it (so much like a woman! haha).

Have to ask, do you think it has Siamese in there? A Calico? Mmmm that was stereotypical of me. Sorry. hehe
        As far as the socialization, its my mom and stepdad all the time (neither work), and my sister who is in college is there on the weekends and all her friends "come over to play", so it isn't like the cat only ever sees my mom, she just doesn't like anyone else to touch her. Of course my bf and I go to visit every couple of months (we live over an hour away, so it isn't always easy to just stop by). We are of the idea that you should not force socialization on an animal that doesn't want it, especially a cat. The cat does not appear in anyway to be siamese. This cat was taken from her mother as a kitten, her mother was a half feral cat, so I assume that is where she gets it from. She has hair that is probably 2-3 inches long, black and grey striped, but doesn't keep growing, doesn't get matted either. Her tail is quite possibly longer than her body, reminds me of a lemur as it is black and grey ringed, and she holds it straight up. She is really a small cat. I don't really know cat breeds, so I really couldn't even give you an idea of possible parentage. I just thought it so odd for a cat that has let me pet her like once, was so loving, just because she is in heat. I then thought well maybe if she was spayed she might get more loving all the time, or she might never get that way again.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

The affection she showed you may have only been hormonal, so she may never come over to you for attention again. On the other hand, I find that most of my foster kitties are all more loving and appreciative after a stay at the Vet's for spay/neuter. Now, my fosters are ALL super loving, snuggly cats/kittens by the time they are old enough/healthy enough for surgery, but it seems they have a better understanding about how great "home" is and are even more affectionate towards me and more confident in new situations.

I do believe she will be less stressed when not "under the influence" of all the hormones.
          "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I agree with Cat Crazy, the kitty will definitely be less stressed after getting rid of all those hormones. You have to remember cats are not like dogs, cats go in and out of heat until they are bred. So if your moms cat is a couple years old, she has probably been cycling in and out of heat since she was 6 mos old. That's a lot of hormone shifting. The kitty may or may not be more friendly but she will definitely be healthier and more consistent in her behavior.

Comment

You have to keep in mind that cats are not nearly as social as dogs. They don't have "cat packs." They tend to live on their own, or at best in very loose social groups. And many cats take this to the next level where humans are concerned. They have their own person or people, and they neither want, nor need, the attention of anyone else.

We can say this (or any cat) needs more socialization. But sometimes they don't. What they need, and want, is to be left alone until they decide they want attention. And when they're finished, they want to be left alone. If we try to force the issue, we only cause stress and distress for the cat. And sometimes that cat will repay us with a little distress of our own.

I've had cats that were social and affectionate, and cats who were not. They were all raised pretty much the same way. I distinctly remember one cat who would disappear the minute someone besides a member of the immediate family walked in, and you'd never know there was a cat in the house. He wasn't into strangers, lol. He didn't need more socialization, he needed to be left alone.

All cats are individuals. Get kitty spayed and don't worry about it. If it calms her down, great. If she still doesn't need or want a lot of attention, that's just her individual personality, and the best thing for her is to just respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                You have to keep in mind that cats are not nearly as social as dogs. They don't have "cat packs." They tend to live on their own, or at best in very loose social groups. And many cats take this to the next level where humans are concerned. They have their own person or people, and they neither want, nor need, the attention of anyone else.

We can say this (or any cat) needs more socialization. But sometimes they don't. What they need, and want, is to be left alone until they decide they want attention. And when they're finished, they want to be left alone. If we try to force the issue, we only cause stress and distress for the cat. And sometimes that cat will repay us with a little distress of our own.

I've had cats that were social and affectionate, and cats who were not. They were all raised pretty much the same way. I distinctly remember one cat who would disappear the minute someone besides a member of the immediate family walked in, and you'd never know there was a cat in the house. He wasn't into strangers, lol. He didn't need more socialization, he needed to be left alone.

All cats are individuals. Get kitty spayed and don't worry about it. If it calms her down, great. If she still doesn't need or want a lot of attention, that's just her individual personality, and the best thing for her is to just respect that.
                Great advice! Cats are very unique and interesting animals. At one time I had 8 cats (fosters) and they all had very unique personalities. Altered or not. Some were attention hogs, some just prefered the company of one human, and some thought of humans as slaves and had nothing to do with them and were only good for bringing them food.

I have 3 cats now. One is soley my 14yr old daughters. I can pet her sometimes, but most of the time, my daughter is the only one who can pet her and pick her up. If someone walks into the room and she's there, this cat will haul butt into daughters room. The oldest cat (he's almost 10 yrs old now) bonded with me and sleeps with me and won't have anything to do with anyone else. The other kitty will literally chase anyone down, and start meowing and wanting attention. All were brought home around 8wks old. All cats were raised the same way. Well except the oldest, he was actually my guinea pig during vet tech school and was used to practice on. He's an odd one...will let you do anything to him. He just lays there. I call him a Veterinarian's dream patient. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X