Dogs shaking while being brushed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs shaking while being brushed?

I recently went into a shop to drop off a resume and noticed that 2 out of the 3 dogs there were shakey while being brushed/clippered. It could've been chilly in there, but my feeling was that they were nervous and uncomfortable and couldn't wait for the shop workers to quit. This place only deals with small dogs and I think small dogs do seem alot shakier than large dogs. What do you guys think? Should I be suspicious of this place or is this normal?

if you get a job offer...

just say you would like to sit in for a day so you can see how they do things, what their methods are, what their routines are, so you are more comfortable on your first day of work... then you will know and can say. I'll take the job... or NO FRIGGIN WAY!

Comment

some dogs just shake during grooming.it can be caused by different factors for each one.an unsteady table, to little restrictions (grooming loop too loose)this does scare some dogs.I don't always blame the shop or the workers for all dogs nervous behavior but it doesn't mean they are not to be blamed many times for it.your presents could have triggered this nervous behavior,so many factors to just point the finger.you may find later down the road the real issues if you get a job there but please don't take first appearance of just a couple nervous dogs as a reason to count this shop out for a possible job it may not be what it appears to be.

Comment

Every dog is an individual. I have couple "pairs" wher one dog loves to come and other hates and shakes all the time. I am patient with all dogs and I know I have not done anything to make them hate grooming.
        Were the groomers nice with the dogs or rough?

Comment

Most of the dogs I groom are monthly. Those that are groomed less often (8 weeks, 10 weeks, etc...) tend to be a bit more shakey, while those who are groomed ever 2-4 weeks don't really shake at all.

It's normal for the most part. That does NOT mean they are not freaked out, mishandled or what not, but it doesn't mean they ARE. I'd say go for it if they call for an interview. Check the place out. Look at it like this: They are not just interviewing you, YOU are interviewing them to see if it is the right place to work. What is your GUT feeling when you interview?

Hope this helps.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Did you see what kind of condition were the dogs in?
            Matted?
            Did you notice if they were being rough while brushing? That would be something to be suspicious about.
            Maybe they just dont like it.
            Nerves.
            There's lots of things it could be.

Comment

Some dogs do shake, I would not say it's abnormal by any means. if you walked in and they were yelling at the dogs then I would say yes.

Comment

You could have been the reason they were all wiggley and shaking,,, Lots of times I have to stop when someone comes in the grooming area. They dogs are fine till someone comes to pick up their dog, or the staff is taking a boarder to the kennel area. Last week, the clean up boy, the kennel lady and the owner all ended up in grooming and were having a chat while I was trying to groom a cocker. I had to shoo them all away, as soon as they were gone, the dog calmed back down. The thing I hate the most is owners, who just happend to be in the area and stop by an hour early,,, just to check and see how things are going,,,,,talk about a wiggling, shaking dog. They should be charged extra, the poor dog sees mom and thinks it's time to go home, never mind they only have 3 legs done. Then they are like wait, my mom is here I'm leaving, where did she go,,on noooooo,, she leaving me here again,,,, mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,, help, don't leave me!!!!!! I,m done with you groomer lady,, I want to go home!,,lol

Comment

I have a few regulars that shake while on the table. Mostly old dogs that have been groomed for many years and are not unhappy at all. They just shake. Makes my eyes blurry. I wouldn't be too quick to judge the groomers.

Comment

LOL Dawn. It makes my eyes blurry too!! I have a couple dogs that do the shake. Like dawn, most of them are elderly and a bit senile.

I would not blame the shop. I'm not saying that the shop is definitely AOK, but I wouldn't base my decision on a dog shaking.

Comment

My own dog shakes the whole grooming - Who knows why. I have her on that table every 2 weeks whether it's for a grooming or a b+b. I have never even quicked one of her nails. Some dogs are just silly that way.
                      I have other dogs that shake like a leaf only while the owner is there and don't even move an inch while I am working on them - thank goodness the owners believe me when I tell them that the dogs do that just for show.

Dogs are just like children. Some children are terrified to go to the hairdressers, or dentists or doctors for no reason just because they are taken out of their comfort zone. Dogs are not much different in that scenario.
                      I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

What kind of brushes were they using?
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
                          You could have ...,, help, don't leave me!!!!!! I,m done with you groomer lady,, I want to go home!,,lol

THANK YOU!!!!! Not only is it bad when they come in early, but when there's just a tiny bit to go and they insist on talking to the dog. I have to explain to people that with some dogs it takes time to make that connection, the groomer and dog need to bond, dog needs to trust, and when the owner comes in that all goes right out the window!! Often the same thing happens when even a stranger comes in. Depends on the dog, really.

Comment

Its like flipping a switch. Most of the dogs I groom never shake when its just me, but if someone comes in for whatever the reason, the shaking/shivering begins. And I have to say it un-nerves me when someone says 'o my, poor little thing, just shaking, he must really hate it here'....uh..no, you walked in the door, he is feeding off your sympathy, he will go back to 'normal' when you leave...
                            Guess I take it a little personal, like they are cutting me down or that I might be doing something awful, like giving the dog a haircut maybe....
                            I really hate having to or feeling I have to explain myself or a situation. Maybe its a nunya thing. lol
                            So it was probably just the dogs thinking your were there knight in shining armor owner or not, lol.

Comment

OK, thanks you guys for the answers. I was honestly a little bit worried but now that I see your points I totally understand these dogs were probably fine, just unnerved from having me oh and aw over them, plus I learned a little more about the business which is always awesome. I will definitely not pass any judgement on these people--they seemed really easygoing and relaxed. I'm going in tomorrow or the next day though, the owner invited me to come in and hang out for a while sometime if I was bored, I think she wants to get to know me before she offers me a job, so I'll definitely be more relaxed next time. (yeah, that's another thing-because I was dropping off my resume I myself was practically shaking out of nervousness. Think that could've had something to do with it? lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X