Wow. In the last 10 minutes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. In the last 10 minutes...

that I've been sitting here on Petgroomer.com, I've seen FIVE people outside my window jogging with their dogs.

I knew Utah had one of the healthiest populations, now I see why. I have always noticed joggers, but never counted.

One of them was disciplining his boxer (in a good way). The boxer wanted to go after another jogger's lab. He was teaching the dog to listen and obey. He stopped twice to make the dog sit and look at him, getting the dog's attention. Then he jogged on by.

There is another lady who was pregnant, I haven't seen her in a while so I think she had the baby, but she had a child in a stroller, a bully breed on one side of her and a bully breed on the other side of her. So here is pregnant mom, toddler in stroller and a bully breed on each side of her, both on Gentle Leader or Halti leaders, neither trying to get ahead of her. And when I walked by? She moved to the other side of the road...every single time. I thought that was very thoughtful (she didn't make me go around her), and responsible.

I have to say, we have a few dogs who run around pooping in people's yards, but I think our responsible owners far outweigh the bad ones. I'm quite impressed!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I love jogging with my dogs, but there sure aren't that many around my neighborhoods.
    &as for pooping and peeing, I wish I could say people around here are nice about that too. But, nope. Several times I've discovered dog poop in my front yard, and my dogs are ONLY in the back yard running around unless on a leash. The saddest part? I've caught a man letting his dog poop in my front yard, and wasn't about to clean it up until I mentioned it to him.
    As for discipline, I have some wild dogs in my neighborhood. Either running away, or viciously barking. I'm not sure it exists in some peoples houses.
    Its not all bad though we have some very, very beautiful polite sibes that I see get walks with their parents everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
      that I've been sitting here on Petgroomer.com, I've seen FIVE people outside my window jogging with their dogs.
      Tammy in Utah
      Now see...if you had been sitting in your lawn chair on the slipppery banks of the Potomac River in 35 degree temps w/ blustering wind, gazing at the C & O Canal Towpath this morning around 8 am...you would have seen 5 joggers going by...but they were Sibes connected to a rig transporting yours truly wearing about 8 lbs. of MD's finest mud right down the front of her. Damn, GOTTA find my mudboard.

It's easy to distinguish the "lead dogs" this time of year...they are the only ones w/ clean faces.

For what it's worth in the "Healthy" category...I burned 50,000 "Happiness Calories" on our "run" this morning...and never had to stop to discipline anyone. (Did have one 3 minute break to untangle a Siberian "Dreamcatcher").
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

That really makes me feel good when I see this.

I think Cesar Milan has really got his message out with his show. Sounds like the Boxer guy was using some of his techniques.

A few weeks ago I was driving down a busy road and came up on a 15 year old boy on a bike with a lab running frre next to him zagging on and off of the road with cars going by. Made me cringe.

Comment

Ironically, the pregnant lady with the bullies I hadn't seen in a couple months was walking with her stroller...and 2 babies while I was walking. I stopped and talked to her and told her I hadn't seen her out walking so she must have had her baby. Yup. And her dogs? She said, "One thing at a time," LOL, she will start walking them again once they are used to having another little one around and she can control both little ones and the two bullies.

She said they are both pit bulls, but they don't look like the "big head" pitbulls I'm used to seeing. I told her I appreciated that she was a responsible owner with them, and was polite to walk across the street when I was coming by. I wish I'd told her I like put bulls, too, so she didn't think I was afraid or something. I was just glad she was so responsible.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
          X