bouvier help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bouvier help!

I need some help doing the fall on bouvs. I've read NOTES but still not sure quite what and where to clip and cut. I've done this girl twice now, and she looked better the second time, but still not what I hope for. Bring on all your ideas - maybe I just need the right words to get the right idea. (She is coming on Saturday, so there is still time!) Thanks very much!

Well, I'm FAR from any kind of expert...I kind of just wing it, but I think I do an alright job with it. I hope for us both you get some more confident replies, lol. Anyway, I take a 1 1/2 comb (Romani combs, so pretty short, just slightly longer than a 4F blade I'd say) rev along the topskull, and let it skim off the eye socket bones. You're only taking off from the eye bone ridge BACK, not in front of it, that's supposed to be part of the fall. Now on the sides, I'm not too sure...on all the pet bouvs I do I clean it out more like a schn than probably what a bouv is like, cause most people want to be able to see the eyes clearly. The cheeks are left full. I also don't clean out under the eyes at all, just comb the goop out. Then on the top of the muzzle I comb it forward, and then part it right in front of the nose. I don't trim what hangs over the nose, cause it starts to look choppy I think, so I part it to fall to either side.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Bouvier Falls

Ok I talked to the mom (showed Boviers for 15+ years before she got the Pulik).

The top skull is flat on top and even with the eye line or little below, The beard is full from there. The fall is trimmed at an angle in front of the eyes much like a Kerry (you're opening the eye up so they can see the livestock) Dont over trim. The fall is trimmed at the front of the nose, or behind (keeps the hair dry) which ever you prefer. The fall will naturally part in the middle and blend in with the beard.

She recommends thinning shears because you want it to look very natural. She would strip their heads for shows but as the dogs retired she woud use a 7F on the topskull. Their bodies ranged from an inch to a 5F w/longer legs (summer).

And yes I call her if I have a question about a show groom that Notes can't answer.
      Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

somewhere on this board are a few pics of my bouv crew, trying to find a head study hopefully will find it before saturday for you....

What has been said is good, the only thing I really dont like to see on bouvs is when they are given elephant nose falls.....hehe...you do open up the eyes but do not open up to far(looking at the dog from the front you should be able to see the dog has two eyes, heheh, unlike a SCW that has less appearance of eyes from front). I take thinniners and go from corner of eye to center of eye, just to set a beginning, then look at the dog from the front to make sure both eyes are even and a fall is present, then tidy up with the thinners. Remember you are creating a flat topscull that is broard in appearance, so dont thin out the sides down the cheeks to far or you will end up with a schnuauzer. Hope that helps some.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by foxhound lady View Post

The fall is trimmed at an angle in front of the eyes much like a Kerry (you're opening the eye up so they can see the livestock) Dont over trim.
          This is the part I need more info on!!! How far in front of the eyes and where to start - above the eye? at the corner? where to stop? LOL

Thanks so far - keep the info coming!

Comment

When you are setting the eye hold your scissors from the outside corner of eye to opposite side of the nose. ( / ) like that
            Next hold the head up a little and cut any hair hanging over the eye WITHOUT cutting the line you just set. Leave a long point at the end of the eyebrow just like a schnauzer but use thinners to make it blend into the beard on the nose. Don't shave to much in between your 2 eyebrows, just a little bit of a V, not all the way to nose. thin here only.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by nicshred View Post
              somewhere on this board are a few pics of my bouv crew, trying to find a head study hopefully will find it before saturday for you....

What has been said is good, the only thing I really dont like to see on bouvs is when they are given elephant nose falls.....hehe...you do open up the eyes but do not open up to far(looking at the dog from the front you should be able to see the dog has two eyes, heheh, unlike a SCW that has less appearance of eyes from front). I take thinniners and go from corner of eye to center of eye, just to set a beginning, then look at the dog from the front to make sure both eyes are even and a fall is present, then tidy up with the thinners. Remember you are creating a flat topscull that is broard in appearance, so dont thin out the sides down the cheeks to far or you will end up with a schnuauzer. Hope that helps some.

What a gorgeous Bouvier!!!! I miss those guys, since I left FL (14 yrs ago) I have only groomed 1 or 2.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

YES!

Nicshred and Poodlefluff, that is what I needed! I will keep checking for more info, and if anyone has a good picture of the face, that would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

(If I remember, I'll take pictures on Saturday. She is light colored, so her face should show up better than the black dogs do! LOL)

Comment

I dug out the pics of our group winning Bouvier (Buddha). They were taken in early '90's but their very good head shots

Hope it helps.
                  Attached Files
                  Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Working...
                  X