Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a question, need advice...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have a question, need advice...

    OK, on Nov 16 I took over a new salon with a large client base. Its been great so far. My problem is with cleaning.

    OK, at the smaller home salon I just used bleach n water with a touch of Mr. Clean with Febreeze (bc i love the smell)...I have done the same here but I dont know if its bc the volume is so much higher and Im using more but the inside of my nose is like raw meat. I know its the bleach, it used to bother me when I was young when my mom cleaned with it but I had always just thought that she used it too strong but I'm not using it strong. Anyway, my nose hurts so bad I can't hardly kiss my hubby bc when he touches the nose or the side of my cheek on one side it just kills me.

    What are some other disinfectants that you guys use that may not be so "abrasive" to my nostrils??? I thought about using Lysol but frankly it stinks...I mainly need something to disinfect the cages n kennels

    Please let me know any suggestions pleeeese...I'm gonna go neosporin my nostrils b4 I get started today...yuck

  • #2
    Quat

    It's a disinfectant that smells like lemons and it is safe for the dogs. We use it where I work for the kennels, floors and tables. I think you have to get it from a janitorial supply place. Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Clorox makes a cleaner with bleach already measured into it. I like the scent but that is personal opinion talking here.

      You dump it into the water to bring it to the strength you need.

      As long as you don't insist on up-ending the bottle of cleaner into the bucket, that would probably work as well as anything.

      Comment


      • #4
        256 disinfectant. You can get it through petedge. It is made for kennels, vets and grooming salons. Smells great and you can choose from like three different types. I like the orange.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's a good rule of NEVER to mix household chemicals. The reactions between them can sometimes lead to poisonous gases.

          I'm concerned that you mentioned Mr. Clean because it sometimes contains ammonia. Ammonia and bleach mixed together creates chlorine gas that can kill you.

          Also, when cleaning, make sure you have good air ventilation. Any type of discomfort that you're discribing cannot be good for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by b0uh View Post

            I'm concerned that you mentioned Mr. Clean because it sometimes contains ammonia. Ammonia and bleach mixed together creates chlorine gas that can kill you.

            .
            Excellent point.

            I have a friend that ended up in the hospital for weeks after she mixed bleach and ammonia. She had no idea it was unsafe to do so. It ended up scarring her lung tissue and she now has a chronic pulmonary problem as a result.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by b0uh View Post
              It's a good rule of NEVER to mix household chemicals. The reactions between them can sometimes lead to poisonous gases.

              I'm concerned that you mentioned Mr. Clean because it sometimes contains ammonia. Ammonia and bleach mixed together creates chlorine gas that can kill you.

              Also, when cleaning, make sure you have good air ventilation. Any type of discomfort that you're discribing cannot be good for you.
              this is a very true statement ammonia and bleach cause toxic fumes .be sure any product you mix with bleach does not contain even a hint of ammonia..

              Comment


              • #8
                You can check out this link for a good citrus based cleaner.

                http://www.awesome-cleaner.com/index.html


                Awesome is a safe general purpose industrial, commercial, institutional, and domestic cleaner. It's superior ability to penetrate and suspend soils prior to and during rinsing, provides a clean residue free surface.

                I use this product on just about everything and you can buy it at the dollar stores.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Simple Green works well for me - no fragrance or volatile organic ingredients to avoid impacting indoor air quality- nontoxic, biodegradable, noncaustic and nonflammable. I can get a little heavy handed with the bleach, too. Simple green seems safer and I have used it for years, while I still use bleach just not quite so much. Hope you feel better

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another thing to keep in mind about bleach is that while it does have disenfecting qualities, it DOES NOT clean, so you are left with "sterile dirt".

                    And regarding the issue of mixing bleach with anything, just don't do it. Even if it's not mixed with another cleaner, it can still be dangerous. I know someone that was using bleach to clean up a puddle of urine left by a great dane and she passed out from the toxic fumes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kputman View Post
                      And regarding the issue of mixing bleach with anything, just don't do it. Even if it's not mixed with another cleaner, it can still be dangerous. I know someone that was using bleach to clean up a puddle of urine left by a great dane and she passed out from the toxic fumes.
                      That's because urine produces ammonia as it breaks down. And bleach doesn't give you sterile dirt, it gives you disinfected dirt. You can't sterilize with bleach.

                      But ammonia isn't the only thing that will cause toxic fumes from bleach. Lots of chemicals will cause the same reaction. It really is a bad idea to mix bleach with anything.

                      There aren't very many disinfectants that will kill parvo, and that should be one of our main concerns. Even bleach has to be measured accurately if you want it to kill parvo. Too much or too little, and it doesn't work.

                      I work at a vet clinic, and we clean kennels with Spic & Span. After wiping them down and letting them dry, we then spray with a 1:30 mixture of bleach and water, wetting all surfaces completely. Again, let it air dry. Bleach will not leave a residue. It evaporates, along with the water. But if you just feel you must...wipe with cold water.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I generally use Simple Green for mopping up but issues arise(skin problems and any other health issues) I use Lemon 256..Kills everything.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          if you guys have it in the US...I use a Lavender PineSol. Really nice smell.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bad news

                            Sounds like the higher volume of your mixture is creating higher amount of chlorine fumes, which is messing with your nostrils, and probably your lungs. Stop immediately!!

                            You probably need to go and get checked, and use a non-harmful cleaner.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              *256* Wintergreen!! Love the stuff! And it's smells so fresh and minty. Love using it and I feel it really does a thorough job.
                              A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X