Customers allergic to rubber bands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers allergic to rubber bands...

Ok I've been grooming off and on for 15 years and this is a first for me! I know some people are allergic to latex, but I have never heard a customer point out that her dog can't have a bow with a rubber band because she is allergic! Anyone else have this happen? What else can be used to make bows with?

yarn? Just use a bandana?

Comment

I have one client that is allergic to the rubber bands. I have some of those small little barrettes and I just use those. Or just throw on a bandana.......
      Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
      Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Sharbelle Originals has started to use a synthetic band for their bows. I know this because one of my finish groomers is allergic to latex and those were the only bows we coud find that didn't use latex. It is some sort of a clear band; it isn't latex and they hold well. The bows themsevles are very pretty and customers always seem to pick the Sharbelle bows when we offer them.

Comment

Both Sally's and most dollar stores have bands that are non-latex. WalMart probably has them too. They're really stretchy, and I don't like them much, but they work. They're made from polypropylene, and they say they won't cause hair to break.

Comment

polyurethane
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by THE_Redneck_Diva View Post
              Sharbelle Originals has started to use a synthetic band for their bows. I know this because one of my finish groomers is allergic to latex and those were the only bows we coud find that didn't use latex. It is some sort of a clear band; it isn't latex and they hold well. The bows themsevles are very pretty and customers always seem to pick the Sharbelle bows when we offer them.
              Thats awesome! Thanks for the info.

Comment

we have sillicone bands,they dont get wound up in the hair so bad BUT they slide out easier~I think they are for little kids but hey whatever works right?

Comment

Our clients sometimes have issues and as Professionals we must be privy to the facts. Latex can be a serious problem for some people and another is an allergy to Nuts. I didn't realise that a young child could have suffered serious health issues because I used a Coat Oil that contained Almond Oil. They didn't mention it until they picked the dog up and asked if the product did indeed contain any nut products,I was busy and said"I don't believe so" but the fact I mentioned that an Oil product was put on the pet triggered a question in the owners' mind and when she got home,the husband called.The pet was quarantined until they received my call and a child was spared a visit to the ER. Let's keep our minds open to the variables associated with our products. The Shampoo and Conditioner I used had no listing of ingredients so they could have been just as guilty.

Comment

I used to use Offray ribbon and tie bows onto the collars of the dogs. Really cute looking. Had one client that had a bad reaction to the bow. Turns out because of her Spinal Bifida she had a problem with the sizing in the ribbon.

So all over the dogs records in red marker was NO BOWS!

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                      Our clients sometimes have issues and as Professionals we must be privy to the facts. Latex can be a serious problem for some people and another is an allergy to Nuts. I didn't realise that a young child could have suffered serious health issues because I used a ... been just as guilty.

OMG I never thought of a nut oil causing an allergc reaction.......thats something to remember!thaks

Comment

I use the little plastic bands

Originally posted by WashingTheDog View Post
                        Ok I've been grooming off and on for 15 years and this is a first for me! I know some people are allergic to latex, but I have never heard a customer point out that her dog can't have a bow with a rubber band because she is allergic! Anyone else have this happen? What else can be used to make bows with?
                        I get them for my little girl at the $ store...like 500 for a $1...they don't stick to the hair and work great...when I do use premade bows that have the rubber bands on them I always put the plastic band on first then put the bow over it...its alot easier to remove...holds tight but doesnt stick to the hair...my son is also allergic to latex is how I noticed the difference

Comment

thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
                          X