Nooses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nooses

Yes I now have plenty of time now to ask questions.

I am just wondering how many of you actually use the noose on a regular basis? That thing worries the hell out of me and I rarely ever use it. I even made it so that it will come loose if the dog falls off the table. (a can opener and a sharpie pen......patent pending. lol). Anyway, maybe I've just always had well behaved dogs up to this point.

I use the noose on every dog, unless I'm actually working on the neck and need it off. Honestly, in the almost ten years I have been grooming I've (knock on wood, lol) never had an incident, of choking, hanging, etc. I feel that the incidence of a dog jumping or falling off the table from not being hooked up would be greater than the possibility of the dog choking or something from the noose.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Forgot to add, if I have a dog that is struggling or has a throat or neck problem, than I will put the loop around the waist.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I always noose my dogs. Of course, my hands never leave their little bodies from start to finish and the noose is fitted loosely with enough slack not to hinder their breathing.

For me, the noose acts as both a "safety restraint" and a reminder to the dog that there's grooming afoot and they are expected to act accordingly.
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Sorry 2 words---Groomers Helper!
          And yes, I always secure dogs to my table.
          #1 it serves as a mental reminder to dog not to wander too far. For 98% of dogs this is all they need.
          #2 Falling off a table to the floor can cause serious harm! Broken parts, head injury, and injuries you may not see right away.
          I just dont get this not nooseing thing. Since when is keeping dogs safe a problem?
          IMO more harm can come from not nooseing and the GH makes it so they don't even back off table by accident (though I'd be watching for that too!).

Comment

Nooses scare me too! How do you make it like that? Very interesting. i kinda wondered why they wouldn't have a quick release or an emergency auto release type noose. Very scary as I just watched a dog who launched himself off a table today. Of course he was caught before anything happened, but the shop got really quiet afterwards.

Comment

In general, putting a noose on a dog is so much safer for the dog and for you
              than letting it loose on the table. If the noose is adjusted correctly, and a dog starts falling off the table, its not going to get very far, and since you are standing right next to the dog(which you ALWAYS shoudl be), you will be able to get much more control than if it was to be loose and wiggling every which way. I think people sometimes leave way too much slack in the loop and that definitely can be dangerous (I have to admit, i've been guilty of that).

Using a Groomers Helper almost totally makes falling off the table impossible.

There are groomers that work without a loop, but they are very experienced in the field and are able to read dogs' body signals.
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I'm as afraid of a noose as I am putting a leash and collar on a dog. In fact, they're both the same to me. The only time I'd be afraid to "noose" (I say "loop") a dog is if I were leaving the table. Of course, I would not leave a dog on the table, so there is no problem.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                  There are groomers that work without a loop, but they are very experienced in the field and are able to read dogs' body signals.
                  WADR, That is what you call it. I call it massive ego getting in the way of their professionalism. They never tell you about the ones who jump off of the table and hurt themselves or run away and get the shop's name in the headlines. Somehow we are supposed to just believe this groomer, by virtue of number of years experience, develops a sixth sense and can tell exactly what every dog is about to do so no safety procedures are ever necessary. I call bull corn!

I use a Groomer's Helper on EVERY dog EVERY time. My safety loop is always tight enough and my tether is always ready to be tightened at a moment's notice. I only take it off to do the neck and it is always tightened up to do the feet.
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Hi Jedd,

I've been grooming for twenty five years and I've always utilized some kind of restraint system to manage any dog that's in my charge. Even under the best of circumstances, things can happen quickly and the dog that you "thought" you could trust could immediately fling off the table in a blink of an eye. I know, because I've seen this or know of this happening to other groomers and the result of a small dog hitting their heads on the hard floor or breaking collar bones can be disasterous - not to mention of the real possibility of them escaping quickly out the door and out of your reach.

Best rule of whenever you have a dog in your charge, on your table and on a noose - NEVER leave them unattended EVER. If you have to leave their side, put them in a crate or carry them with you, but NEVER leave them out of your sight. This cardinal rule has served me well over the years and I've never had any unfortunate accidents or escaping occurring as a result of this important, yet critical discipline.

Respectfully,
                    Windswept

Comment

not a noose

It's not a noose! I call it a grooming collar or grooming loop. It doesn't tighten when they pull on it. I think it is safer because if a dog does put a foot off the table it can help the dog catch his balance instead of falling and injuring himself. That said, I never take a hand off the dog either.

Comment

Quick Release

Yes, I use a noose ALL the time. BUT I also use a "quick release" coupler with it. If a dog pulls hard enough it pops off. It will also prevent a big dog from breaking you table. I have had dogs walk backwards and slip their back feet off the table, the noose keeps them from falling completely off and I can pull them back up, or if they're really big dogs, the release pops. Little dogs can hurt themselves jumping off the table if they don't have a noose on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have been grooming for about 30 yrs. and I've always used the noose. It is my "way of doing it". But if you are not comfortable invest in a Groomers Helper. You will be very happy with the way it works and you feel safer.

The other thing you might check into is a small clip that attaches to your arm and the noose attaches to this clip. It is called a qwik-release clip. If the dog tries to dive-bomb off the table it will release the noose and no one gets hurt. I'm sure you could find it most of the bigger catalogues.

I think bottom line you just need to be really attentive to the dogs while they are on your care and on the table.

good luck,
                          sittingpretty

Comment

nooses are one of my pet peeves! i never noose around the neck,over the shoulder,under the leg on the ones that need it. most of my dogs stay put because i am there. i did a retired show cocker(made it to the garden) and even with a noose and a hand on her she would launch herself repeatedly off the table after anoter dog! made me insane. if a lead is tight a dogs natural instinct is to pull harder, the more you pull back the harder the dog pulls forward.sooo use the dogs instincts to your advantage,jmo.
                            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I will start using the loop more. I guess I just need to get a feel for how short, loose etc. is best. It does actually sound safer for the dog when you guys explain it that way. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X