Stolen tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen tip

Yesterday I had a Schnauzer in for a groom. About 15 yrs old and she keeps going down to the horse pen. Owner wanted body left long for winter. She wanted a clean face due to "Sweet Pea" enjoying the horsie turds to much. And then poodle feet due to snow balls and horse turds. Sweet Pea was pretty funny looking but she won't have a matted beard next time.

Now the strange part. Mom dropped the dog off. Her teenage son has been picking up the dog after the groom for a few years. Mom calls and asked how much for the groom. Then says she is sending a check this time instead of the usual cash as she found out her son had been stealing the tips she had included for the groomer. Son comes in, I tell him the amount. He gives me a funny look, pulls the check out of his pocket and slowly hands it to me. Does not look very happy about giving me the check. I figured he was looking for a way to ask me for the change back since check was written out for more then the groom price. He then just takes the dog and leaves. I think his evening was ruined. Oh and he brought his girlfriend with him. I guess there went his date with her.

Busted! That's funny as crp!

I think there should be retroactive compensation for all the stolen tips...plus accrued interest plus punitive damages.
    I'm thinking either cash...or haul hot water on all those freezing mornings.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I wonder how did his mom figure it out. Why would you steal someone's tips? That is so low. I wonder if his mom punished him or said something to him. If she didn't, he probably will find a way to steal from her again.

Comment

Ha ha! Good lesson for him. I'm glad he was caught! If I were his mom I'd make him earn those tips by brushing the dog in between grooms.

Comment

What's wrong with kids these days! I had the same thing happen to me except I was the one who busted the kid. It was one of my once a month clients who always gave me 10 bucks. Her work schedule changed back in June and she TOLD me she would be sending her 17 year old with my pay and tip every month from then on. Well first month no tip, I figured he forgot it or something so I just blew it off. Next month same deal, when he handed me the money he was very nervous and the money was tightly folded ..odd. Next time my client called me personally and told me she would be sending a check and cash tip this time because she didn't have enough cash for my tip? I thought it sounded like she was implying she had always sent a tip, so I cautiously asked, "I am very grateful for your tips and it's not required of you at all, but I was just wondering if you had sent a tip with your son the last two times?" YES! she said, you know we love you! ..wait, Did you not get the tips!?! Before I even answered her she started cursing at her son. I thought it was kinda funny until I realized why he was stealing and why she didn't even need to hear my response before jumping on him. He is an addict and apparently had been on a thieving spree to support his habit. I would have never even asked such a question, but my instincts told me something was wrong here.

Comment

I have one of those teenagers that picks up her mom's shih tzu. Her mom caught her too. She wondered why she always came home with the dog and a starbucks everytime. She actually called and asked me if she was leaving the tip. Now mom just picks up.
            If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

I wonder how mom knew he was stealing?
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                I wonder how mom knew he was stealing?
                Mom's always know.
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Yikes! What is this an epidemic of teenage boys that steal groomers tips? The same thing happened to me! Sneaky li'l petes!
                  "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                  Quote:Cath

Comment

I had that happen to me once. I called the owner about something after her sons came to pick up, and she asked me if I got the tip. "No." "Oh, my son must not have given it to you." You think????

Kids!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I had a funny one. The grandaughter (12ish) comes in to pick up the dog. I tell her how much and she has a check in her hand already made out for $7 more than the groom amount which is what the owner always tips. She stares at it for a minute then asks me for change. I knew if was a tip and tried to explain it to her but she wasn't having any of it. I finally convinced her that I would credit her grandmothers account the 'overpayment'. She seemed satisfied and finally left. Next time the owner came in and handed me her usual check with $7.00 tip included.

Comment

I learn so much here. I'll have to be on the lookout for this!

Comment

Here's a good one. I groomed a yorkie for about 6 months - every 6 weeks. Owner liked the job, etc. So, one day she missed her appt., I called and asked if they were coming. The grandson answered the phone, said he didn't know anything about it and he would talk to his grandmother. I didn't see the dog for over a year after that. Finally the grandma called and made an appt. She hadn't come back to me because the grandson had taken the money she gave him to pay me and tried to groom the dog himself...then told the grandmother that I had done the groom. The dog was obviously a disaster. The kid finally 'fessed up and was punished...but I lost a whole year of grooms because of this kids lie.

Comment

Working...
                          X