Does being pregnant affect the dogs anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being pregnant affect the dogs anyway

Hi i recently found out that i am pregnant and i was going to go back to work but i have a question. Does anyone know if being pregnant affects the dogs in anyway when you groom them....do they sense it and become difficult at all? Should i be worried about anything grooming and pregnant? I've never been pregnant and i have not worked due to the fact i just moved to this state. Would grooming be a bad job for me? I was a groomer for 3 years before and wanted to try something else but that something else was construction and i don't think that would work so the only thing i know is grooming. I hope this makes sense if it doesn't tell me and i'll try to change it. thank you for your time.

There are lots of women on this board (including me) who worked when pregnant w/no problems. You just have to listen to your body and do what it is telling you to do. Take more breaks than usual and eat a lot of nutritious snack to keep your energy up and your nausea down. Stay away from chemical dips and shampoos.....stick to the all natural as they are usually safer. You may want to stay from kitties and especially not clean any kitty litter boxes while pregnant. And of course don't do any heavy lifting! Make sure to tell your OB what kind of work you do in case there is something specific w/your pregnancy that he thinks you may need to do differently as well.

Good luck to you and congratulations on the pregnancy!! W/a little care you can very well work straight through to delivery if you want to. BTW I never noticed that the dogs picked up anything "different" about me. The only thing that changed was that I had to watch to not give them whiplash w/my belly when they were on the table....lol
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Go about your daily life as normal. Limit your lifting and all will be fine. The dogs may sense it. But they will not turn nasty or anything.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

you'll be fine. I groomed while I was preg with both of my kids. Even up to the last days. I took 4 weeks off after giving birth, and jumped right back in.
        The nice thing about grooming while preg, is that the babies get used to dogs barking, the dryer noise, and if you have to have them with you while you are working, they usually sleep through all the noise cause they are used to it.
        You'll be fine.
        I also groom cats and my doctor told me that I could continue grooming them.

Comment

I worked until my due date with my first child and worked until I went into labor with my second. The only thing I did was I did not lift any dog over 40 pounds, I would groom big dogs on the floor if no one was around to help me lift them. But with 2nd child I had a hydrolic table and a walk in tub so it wasn't anything different I had to do. Dogs were calmer I noticed because for the most part I was calmer. I think if they sensed anything it would be that motherly instinct to protect your young and not mess with you.

Comment

Never being pregnant myself I couldn't say BUT my assistant groomer is having issues. She is only 4 months but is easily frazzeled, no patience with the dogs like she use to. I know how frustrated she can get these days with dogs that struggle and fight and won't stand etc..... I have really had to back off her duties almost to the point of where there isn't much she can do. I pay her commission and she isn't making much $$ now. I am still trying to find a good replacement for her and start moving her to office duties and washing my small dogs for me and changing her to hourly. She does want to return after the baby, but then again she will still have challenges until her strength is built up etc.....Anyone have employees who have had this situation?

Comment

My baby just turned 6 mo yesterday. I can't believe it's gone by sooo fast! I posted on the old board about how freaked out I was, blah blah blah. I had just opened my own business 3 months earlier, and OOPS...I got pregnant. Well, I worked til the day before I went into labor, and groomed 6 dogs that day (2 std poodles, and a huge wheaten X among them). Then I was back to work 3 wks later...not by choice though! I needed the money, and didn't want to shut my shop down for that long.

I had no problems with dogs behaving differently. My dogs were a little more protective it seemed, but just enough to make us wonder if that's what it really was. I worked same as usual, no changes. From 2nd trimester on, had hubby to help me with the really biggies, like St. Bernard's and Newfs, otherwise I was by myself. I lifted til the end, but never pushed myself farther than I thought I could go. I figured if I'd been doing this all along and I felt ok with it, I'd be fine. I don't suggest someone who's never tried lifting their GSD to go do it at 7 months, but if you're used to that kind of work, feel free. That's just how I felt, a lot of people feel differently.

I wore gloves for flea shampoo even though it's all natural, and medicated treatments. Hmmmm, trying to think of what else. Oh, the last couple months, I started losing patience with difficult dogs. I think it was cause it was harder to move so I couldn't control them the way I wanted, and I was tired from getting up and peeing 15 times a night, and carting around a 30 lb growth, etc.

It's definately doable. I want to be pregnant by July again so we can have another one. And I was NOT a kid person. Now I want 20!! Go read my posts on the old board, I think it was in the off-topic forum. Around Jan or Feb '06, a lot of people gave me a lot of great advice...and some not so great or comforting, but don't worry, you'll be fine. The ends justifies the means in this case.
              Erin
              No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

6 months already Erin? Wow..time flys don't it? Mine is 1 month today.

I took a few days off before I had the baby. Only because I was tired of hubby nagging at me that I was working too much.

I didn't change a whole lot of what I did, other than not lifting. I didn't notice any difference in the dog behavior, but like someone else mentioned, my patience was short fused towards the end of the pregnancy. So, I just took more breaks on the dogs that were getting to me.

I had a c-section and am going back to work this Wed. I had 4 weeks off. I'm ready to go back to work. Actually, I was ready to go back 2 weeks ago. I hate sitting around at home, and I hate having my shop closed for this long.

Comment

I've worked with two girls who groomed when they were pregnant, and with both the dogs seemed to sense it, and were more difficult (hormones maybe?)
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by mskittylitter View Post
                    Never being pregnant myself I couldn't say BUT my assistant groomer is having issues. She is only 4 months but is easily frazzeled, no patience with the dogs like she use to. I know how frustrated she can get these days with dogs that struggle and fight and won't stand etc..... I have really had to back off her duties almost to the point of where there isn't much she can do. I pay her commission and she isn't making much $$ now. I am still trying to find a good replacement for her and start moving her to office duties and washing my small dogs for me and changing her to hourly. She does want to return after the baby, but then again she will still have challenges until her strength is built up etc.....Anyone have employees who have had this situation?
                    She must be having a girl. When I was pregnant with my son I worked until the day before he was born. Some dogs did sense it, but they wanted to snuggle me, my poodle would lay across my belly and never let me out of his sight. Now I am 8 months pregnant with a girl and I do tend to get frazzled unlike with my son. I have cut my work load down this time, she seems to tire me out!

Comment

grooming while PG

I worked full time up until the night I went into labor; had a c section and was back at work in 10 days with baby in tow. Didn't wanna, but we had no money at all, my income is what we lived on most of the 26 years we were married. Finally wised up last year and kicked him to the curb.
                      Deidre

Comment

I had difficult pregnancies, and didn't work with either one. But still, I can offer some advice. Like other people have mentioned, listen to your body. And also listen to your doctor. Eat small, nutritious meals several times a day. When you have to pee, go do it. Don't try to wait. All that added pressure can cause you problems later. Get enough sleep. You need it. It's not just an old wives tale; dill pickles will settle your stomach if you have morning sickness.

A word on morning sickness; as annoying as it is, it's a good thing. It means your body is responding to your pregnancy well.

And a word on kitties; if you normally groom cats, or if you have a cat, ask your doctor about running a titer for toxo. If the test shows you've been previously exposed, you're immune and have nothing to worry about. If your titer is negative, it might be wise to not groom cats or clean litter boxes.

Comment

I also groomed up until the last few days while pregnant with both of my boys. There were really no additional problems either time -- did keep a pack of saltines in my cabinet the first trimester! LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X