Fired the only nasty client I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired the only nasty client I have

Several weeks ago, I received a call from a new client regarding her 9 wk old min poodle. She was terribly snotty and grilled me relentlessly about my credentials, where I've worked, how long I've been grooming, what I had for breakfast (you get the idea). After establishing a mutated version of trust, she scheduled "Fifi". The day of the first appt, the client's daughter delivered the dog 20 minutes late. Fortunately, I had a loose schedule that day, but I did mention that's it's good to be prompt so I can devote enough time to the groom. I had told the owner that I go very slowly with puppies, only doing what they can comfortably tolerate, etc. I was able to get Fifi thru the entire clip, including clean feet and face, and she looked great. The daughter was delighted and rescheduled on the spot for 4 weeks.

Yesterday was the 2nd appt, 10:00 AM. I get a call from the owner at 10:20 wanting to know when her appt is. I said 20 minutes ago, so we need to reschedule Fifi as I'm extremely booked up, I need a certain amout of time to do a really good job, and it would cause other clients to fall behind. I work an average of 10-11 hours a day as it is and didn't relish the idea of staying for 12. She's a little pissed, so I tell her I would be rushed, but if she could be here in 10 minutes, I would still do it. She says (nastily) that she can make it as they live very close by. The daughter is bringing the dog, and she wants to look at my poodle book and pick out a style. I said I don't do patterns on 13 week old puppies and nicely explained my reasons. She gets nasty again and says they'll be there ASAP. 30 minutes later, no dog. I call her back to see if they're on the way. Maintaining her wicked witch personality, she says they decided not to come as I "only gave them 5 minutes to get there" and that's unreasonable. I said, "So you just decided not come and weren't even going to call me? I wish you had been a little more courteous. I could have filled your spot with one of the 8 people on my waiting list." I was still being fairly civil and told her I felt she should find another groomer. She said that was her intention anyway as she didn't like my attitude! I told her, "You're the one who deliberately didn't call to say you weren't coming. I've been here the whole time waiting for you."

Here's the kicker: Late yesterday afternoon, I talked to my groomer friend down the road and found out the witch had also scheduled Fifi and her other poodle with HER at 8:30 AM on the SAME DAY as a new client! (That appt was just made last Tuesday.) They didn't show up there either and had called my friend about 10:15 to find out if they could still come. She told them that because they'd be late, she could only do one that day. I suppose that's when the witch called me to see what time Fifi's appt was. After I fired her, the daughter took BOTH dogs to my friend at 11:00 AM, even though they were told to bring only one. My friend is a lot faster than I am, so she did them both, but gave them a lecture on promptness.

I don't feel badly at all about dumping her. My self-respect will not allow me to tolerate this behavior. Nor will I enable this type of client to maintain her belief that the world revolves around her. That's the first time I've had to do this. Hope it's the last. I dearly love all of my other clients! Sorry this is so long. Thanks!

WOW! What nerve! You certainly don't need a client like this. She obviously has no regard for anyone. Too bad for the other groomer for taking her on. At least you'll sleep better! Good for you!

Comment

Good for you, there is no need to have to tolerate that kind of BS!!
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Well done, she was going to be trouble every step of the way. You'll be hearing the next chapter from your friend!

Comment

That's just plain rude. I'd be curious to know why she felt that she needed to make 2 different grooming appointments with 2 different people at the same time. And an hour late? Sheesh. I'm really glad your friend gave her the "lecture" on promptness, hopefully that will help her see that we have a schedule to keep.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Aren't you glad you got rid of her! What a relief! Who would want to deal with that everytime you had the dog scheduled.
            As I read your story it reminded me of a lady around here. She also has two dogs. I was warned about her from another mobile groomer, that she books, no shows and when she doesn't no show and you groom the dog she finds everything wrong with the dogs haircut. I was told that nearly every single groomer had fired her and had spread the word. So she apparently found some elderly woman to groom her dogs in her home for a few cheap dollars. Nothing was heard about her for a while and then she called me. I called her and told her my prices and she went on about how she was only paying such and such amount of money at the other groomers home. I told her that was a bargain and she wouldn't likely find a cheaper groomer and advised her to stay with that groomer. I said and hung up. She would eventually call me again but my next message to her was I was fully booked (which was what I was going to say to her the first time I called before she ranted and raved about my high prices).
            I found out she did find another groomer whose charges her ten dollars per dog more than I had quoted her. This groomer already knew about her and just gives the dog whatever haircut the groomer feels like. The dog owner, knowing full and well that no groomer will book her (I gather she was fired by the elderly woman and every other groomer in town and even twenty miles away tells her they are too busy which would tell you how bad a client she is). - well she completely kisses this groomers rear end!

So in time thats what will happen to your lady x. She will not really understand why all of sudden all the shops are full and cannot book her while meanwhile groomers tell one another as a fair warning.

Comment

Oh my. You don't by any chance live in southern Illinois do you? She sure sounds like someone I've run into recently. No. Wait. This woman has standards, not minis. But she's such a case that if she ever calls for an appointment again, the first available is going to be February 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                Oh my. You don't by any chance live in southern Illinois do you? She sure sounds like someone I've run into recently. No. Wait. This woman has standards, not minis. But she's such a case that if she ever calls for an appointment again, the first available is going to be February 31st.

Oh thats too funny! I love it.
                And what time would the appointment be? 2500 hours?

Comment

But she's such a case that if she ever calls for an appointment again, the first available is going to be February 31st.
                  Woman, I don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you say, but I'm telling you, I take it all to work with me and they think I'm such a hoot! And they don't believe me when I tell them, "Nothing I say is original." If they only knew!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                    Woman, I don't know where you come up with some of the stuff you say, but I'm telling you, I take it all to work with me and they think I'm such a hoot! And they don't believe me when I tell them, "Nothing I say is original." If they only knew!

Tammy in Utah
                    If you think I'm bad (or good?), you should hear some of the stuff my kids come up with.

Honestly, for me, I think I spend too much time hanging out with drag queens.

Comment

ROFL, too much time with drag queens, eh? LOLOLOL Oh my stars, I'm so sheltered!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Is this the lovely lady w/the freebie St Poo groom? I still can't believe the nerve that chickie had!!!! Feb 31st......you make me laugh Helly!
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Good for you

I've actually been selective with my customers from the beginning. Luckily I had enough to get me by. a for instance: A potential new customer recently called, Aunt of a customer, who wanted discounts for her 5 dogs - two of which needed trimming. One, lol, only one? had fleas. Well I explained I'd have to see the dogs, and that likely not just one with fleas. She'll call back she says. The niece calls me and says don't hold her Aunt against her. Aunt calls a few days later, says she hurt her back can I come groom the 5 dogs that day? When pigs fly, I think, but say no not possible, usually at least a week ahead booked. So she says she'll call her old groomer. Good Idea I say. She calls again says she changed her mind and wants me to groom them on my VM. I leave message with her VM saying I can fit them in Friday. No call back. A couple of days later she calls, I recoconize her unusual voice and accent, and she says: Are you the groomer that does my dogs? I say NO, not adding a thing. (I don't yet groom her dogs, hee hee). I never heard from her again, a few weeks now. Celebrate.
                          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by MissKitty View Post
                            Oh thats too funny! I love it.
                            And what time would the appointment be? 2500 hours?
                            Naaaa. If she can wait until there's 31 days in February, I'll give her a 9pm appointment. That way she can show up, and no one will be there. And I'll charge her a $1,000 missed appointment fee, too.

Comment

One in our town also

We have a lady with lots of money who thinks it is a privilege for groomers to do buisness with her. She also thinks we should do her dog for nothing. In my shop her file was marked and highlited "WILL NOT GROOM THIS LADIES DOG!!" So a couple of years later she made an appoitment at my shop when I was out of town. My staff promptly called her back and canceled the appoitment. She showed up any way. Again she was told that she did not have an appoitment but the bath allown was going to cost her $100 and any groom would be $175. She still used me for over a year and learned not to mouth off at my shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X