undercutting your employer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undercutting your employer??

ok, I just made a new thread about MANAGING MULTIPLE GROOMERS. I just found out last night, that on Friday, this new groomer was working when a client came in that she knew. I noticed she went outside to talk with her. They both live in the next county, and apparently knew each other. The groomer that just started told the client that she would groom the dog at her house for 10. less than what I would charge her!!! Can you believe that??? it so happens that this clients husband works for my brother also and they had dinner together Friday night when this was mentioned! What do you make of this? I already have dogs scheduled for her to groom on Tuesday, so Im not calling her this weekend to say anything. Should I just can her ass on Tuesday evening? Should I give her a good slap upside the head and give her another chance? I couldn't believe that she would stand in front of my business with my client, and stab me in the back!! Shes been waiting since xmas to come back, since I only allow her to groom the big nasties! but still, stabbing is stabbing, and she just told me Friday afternoon how happy she was to finally be back, that she loved working with me! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I would confront her, simple as that! I had an employee bring in her neighbors dog told me it was hers and she was just going to bathe it when we were slow. Anyway- I hired a contractor last week for some work, and the contractor is the NEIGHBOR (people always find the truth). Well, recognized the dog, found out they paid her $40 and so I took it off of her commission sheet.

Comment

Just pretend you're Donald Trump and say "You're fired". Don't wait until all your customers start to dissapear. What she did was despicable. If she was my employee, I would tell her not to bother coming in and tell her why. Maybe she'll learn something.
      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

As an empolyer I view that as stealing. Fire her after she works Tuesday, and tell her why, be very blunt. You should have your groomers sign a non-compete clause and not let them have direct contact with YOUR clients. Why would you ever permit a groomer to leave her station to go outside and talk to your customers??? I do not hire groomers that smoke, they take too may breaks and stink up the shop when they come in from a ciggie break. You can never trust this groomer again, next she'll steal your client cards!

Comment

I suspected one of my groomers was not recording all of her dogs on the book and was pocketing the full comission. This happened when I was on maternity leave and wasn't at work full time. I never actually busted her doing it, but I did start watching her very closely. It was a HUGE relief when I did finally can her azz. Once you loose trust in someone it is extremely difficult to get that trust back and can make for some tense working situations.
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

I would can her. That is dishonest and WRONG!
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I would tell her that something has gotten back to her about this little deal she made. Let he squirm and try to explain. And then, as "The Donald" would say..."Its just business....your fired."

You do not have time for those that are not loyal to you and your business. It sends a strong message to other employees as well.

Comment

I am happy to not have employees

A mobile groomer I know here wants to grow so big she can live in Sedona and have three vans with girls grooming for her, whike she manages the books.So far she has had two separate men who trashed her van and did dogs on the side on Sundayts on her products, equipnt, gas etc on Sundays., She let them take her new WNT home with them. The girls were doing it too. They left and went on their own, no dobt with some of her clients. I don't talk to her aymore. She keeps on truckin....I pass her now and then. She grooms in one and the newer WGT for her employees.I think she is always booked, but has tremendous expenses. I know she offers credit card now thru Wells Fargo.Often the owner of the mobile .has to go and redo a dog.She trains her girls,she said.

Comment

It sounds to me like she's not a good match for you, and you're not a good match for her. She's wrong for doing something like that right in front of your shop and you. Definitely not professional. I'm not sure giving someone all the big and nasty dogs would make anyone happy either. I would suggest that maybe she would be much happier grooming in the county she lives in.
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

That is totally unethical and as someone else mentioned, akin to stealing.

I can remember a while back, a couple of posters were talking about "grooming on the side" and I brought up how that would create a conflict of interest. They didn't feel it was a conflict because they were not grooming close to their place of employment. Where is the loyalty?

While I have friends (and relatives) that want me to groom their dogs (on the side), I've never done it. My boss has been very good to me and she deserves better. Any employee that would stab their employer in the back in that way, deserves what they have coming.....

If she will stoop that low, there's no telling what else she has been "stealing" from you.

Comment

Bye Bye birdie...

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

You may want to consider having them sign a no compete clause. It is really innapropriate for her to be grooming on the side, especially since she waylaid the person right outside your shop! Good grief! That is not excusable. And if you don't decide to fire her, you definitely should confront her!

I know that grooming on the side like that at my work would get me fired, and I would agree! I think it's wrong. The ONLY dog that I groom on the side is my aunt's dog, and that is only because she would never come to my work anyway. She lives too far away, and the dog is too nervous.

And something else, it's bad enough to groom on the side dogs that aren't your clients, but to take a client from you like this lady essentially did? Much worse!
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                          Bye Bye birdie...

Tammy in Utah
                          I second that

Comment

On another recent thread we discussed professionalism and lack thereof in the industry. This example highlights the problems that exist. Can you imagine a person in another industry like finance or healthcare doing things on the side? They would be called on it in an instant and fired. I would confront her immediately, re-schedule the grooms and let her know that unfortunately word "travels" and she better not be in contact with any of your customers. I would look for a reputation as a manager that doesn't put up with any dishonesty. Then explain exactly what happened to your other new employee, let her know that you mean business and will be watching every move. Also, as mentioned, get non-competes signed. Sorry this happened to you, it is very upsetting to deal with.

Comment

I "undercut" my employer - with her full knowledge and permission, though. We have an ultimate trust and it's a really wonderful thing. I used to rent the mobile vehicle from her once a month to do family's dogs, but now if I am within 5mi I can stop by and do them at no charge. I just say "hey I'm doing my brother's yorkie today since I am in Springfield" or whatever. I would never do it often (mm, maybe once or twice a month?) and world never profit from it because I appreciate my employer. We've also gotten some new business in those areas because I stop by to do them, so those new grooms more than "pay" for my 30 min usage of the vehicle without profit coming in. I really have it swell, I tell ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X