No new customers on Sat's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No new customers on Sat's?

Well, I had 2 new cat customers at 8 this morning. One was gonna be a shave, he thought, and the other just a brush out, no baths. I figured 1 1/2 hrs, plenty of time to get them done. I had 2 min schn coming a 1/2 hr later, so I figured I'd get the shavedown done, then bathe the dogs, then let them dry a little while I did the brushout.

When the guy came in, the one he thought I might have to shave, had one of those turtle shell matts, and the rest of him wasn't much better. (oooh, I have pics...I'll post them.) The other one's stomach was all matted, and back legs. So I ended up shaving them both. They weren't bad, but one would NOT even remotely sit still, and for whatever reason the GH did not work, apparently I was doing something wrong. The other's matting was so bad that it took me 2x as long as usual.

Anyway, my point is, do any of you NOT take new customers on a Saturday? My day was nicely scheduled, but because I had to do these cats that took me soooo much longer than I expected, it stressed me out, and made the rest of my day very tight. Saturdays are usually busy, and I like to get out around lunch time or 1:00ish, but today I was out at 3:30, yuck!
    Attached Files
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

OMG! I give you so much credit for taking that on. I honestly wouldn't be able to do them...I'd be so scared. (Good thing for me I don't do cats). Most of my days are the same, but I do try to schedule new customers at the end of the day because I don't want to have to worry about being rushed to get to the next customer if they're a mess.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Re:No New Customers On Saturdays

At my Salon we do take as many new people as we have come in, however we don't groom cats on Fri., Sat., or Sun. Those being the busiest days, all the noise has brought more than one cat to near hysteria hence the rule. So far no customer complaints.

Comment

I hate those turtle shell kitty grooms. I feel so bad for the cats but some of them are very good about having that taken off. It's like they..."know." Or when they start helping, lol. I've had ONE cat that literally held out paws and legs for me, laid on her side, etc... The owners told me she was not only mean but VICIOUS. Not a problem here, she must o' liked me. WHich is funny because I'm really not a cat person as much as I am a dog person.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

NO, I do not take new clients on Sat, plus I no longer groom cats, not worth the money.

Comment

No new dogs on Sat, unless it's very slow, and then I book them as the last appt. of the day, just in case there are time consuming issues that come up. I don't make a habit of it , though. Saturday's my last day of the week and I like ending it on a happy & stressfree note. I don't groom cats at all.

Comment

That's the thing about a new dog or cat. As Forrest Gump once said "You never know what you're gonna get". Half the time the owners don't even know what they have so when they describe their pet and the condition they are in they are wrong. I had one person tell me they had a 65 lb Border Collie and when I showed up to groom it, it was a 100 lb shepard mix, too big and hairy for my van. They owners were clueless and not doing anything intentional.

Maybe it is a good idea for you not to take new dogs on Saturday. You don't want getting stuck at the shop cutting in on quality weekend time with that cute babe of yours and the family. Once you've seen and groomed the dog, then Saturdays would be fine. I'm hoping that if you explain this to the customer they will understand. The best thing is you are the owner so you can make the decisions and the policies work best for you and your family. Smart girl!
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

My Saturdays are booked till June so, no I dont take new ones in on Sat. Even if I have a cancelation. I make all my Saturday regulars rebook through the year so they are guarenteed a weekend. I also have to go through the year and take the saturdays off that I want for myself.
                Poor kitties. I have a couple regular kitties but I get alot of those "turtle shells" as well.

Its hard working on the weekends when you have little kids. My son is 5 and in preschool and my daughter is 2.

Comment

Pthhh... I dont only refuse to groom new clients on a Saterday, I refuse to groom Any clients on a Saterday
                  My Day OFF!
                  yes im a bit of a grooming diva

Comment

Me too. Saturdays are my days, so no grooming. There are plenty of other shops open on Saturdays, let them do it. :P Plllllll....where IS that raspberry emoticon? I miss it terribly, it expresses how I feel very well sometimes!

Tammy in Utah
                    PS: Erin, I'm sorry I never did give my response to your question but I'd always give an extra time slot to a new animal, unless it's a dachshund or something.
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Erin, I will schedule new clients on Saturdays, but I WON'T schedule new cats when I am by myself. I like to make sure I have back up if kitty goes psycho on me....lol

One thing to remember now that you have your own shop: YOU SET THE RULES!!! If you don't want to take new clients on Saturday that is absolutely okay. If some one new wants a Sat appt politely explain your policy to them. If they are not okay w/it then they probably are not the kind of clients you want anyway.
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I work every other Sat. morning till noon or 1:00. One or two evening a week. Depends on my kids schedules. Sorry my kids come first.

Comment

Maybe if they sound like they would be a good client, you could arrange a quick visit beforehand to meet the pet, and assess the time you would need for the groom. I find the Sat. people to be the most loyal and best customers.
                          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                            Maybe if they sound like they would be a good client, you could arrange a quick visit beforehand to meet the pet, and assess the time you would need for the groom. I find the Sat. people to be the most loyal and best customers.
                            This is a really goood idea too! I really like to meet new customers before the actual grooming or boarding so I know what to expect.
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

It doesn't matter what day of the week it is- when I have a full day scheduled, I don't take on any more work.
                              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Working...
                              X