45 years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 years later

Some of you have heard that I think part of the reason I got into grooming was due to a neighbors small Standard Poodle being a matted mess. They were telling me they were taking the dog to the groomers but that the groomer charged more since they didn't brush her. I was a teenager and thought, OH I'll Just Brush Her and SAVE her money. Wow, did I learn the hard way, one couldn't "just brush" her. Rock hard mats.

Well 45, at least, years later, driving by the old house, thought I'd see if anyone I knew still lived there. I remember thinking as I walked up, best not tell them I'm a groomer, likely the old now daughter has dogs that might be in bad shape.

Daughter still there, moved into her parents house after they died. So here I am visiting with her and she had a little parti color Poodle, a horrible matted mess and her Grand daughters ShihTzu/Poodle a matted mess and bitey. Unfortunately I had my grooming outfit on so it gave away my profession. The owner said she didn't want to take the dogs where she'd taken them since they put her down so bad for the dogs condition. YAH, DOH? I hope she doesn't call me, but point being while we try to train customers: OVER 45 YEARS LATER, A GENERATION DOWN: same horrible condition.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

SAD

That's depressing Leah! Hopefully you made an impact on the mother, but doesn't look like she shared her knowledge with the daughter. SAD! It's tragic how often this kind of thing occurs.

Comment

So that don't care, teach the next generation not to care too. It sucks to be those poor dogs.
      Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Wow. And the "yah, Doh" part: ROFL, too true, too true. And how very sad. I wonder if we groomers handled clients like this differently we could make a difference? Well, I know I've tried, but people just don't seem to "get" it. But I certainly don't put people down, that's for sure---then they really wont come back.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I try my hardest to educate people about matted dogs without trying to insult them. I think we see it so often that we say things to people without considering they just may not know better. Some matted messes have become my best clients and are now thrilled to have a clean stylish dog.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
            Wow. And the "yah, Doh" part: ROFL, too true, too true. And how very sad. I wonder if we groomers handled clients like this differently we could make a difference? Well, I know I've tried, but people just don't seem to "get" it. But I certainly don't put people down, that's for sure---then they really wont come back.

Tammy in Utah

Unfortunately it seems like so many people have the mind set that they are just dogs. I know a lot of my OAY's act like they spoil their "precious" pups because they get a grooming every spring. It is sad that there are still so many mind sets like this out there!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
              Unfortunately it seems like so many people have the mind set that they are just dogs. I know a lot of my OAY's act like they spoil their "precious" pups because they get a grooming every spring. It is sad that there are still so many mind sets like this out there!
              I have at least one of these, Sheila. I have a schnauzer that gets groomed once a year and has to be sedated because of it. The owner calls him "baby" and all these other sweet words, but if she could only see us trying to give him the shot, lol. What a stink butt! He's actually a pretty sweet boy when people aren't trying to catch him to give him a shot, lol. But the owner thinks she's doing him a great service. IT's so sad. She was pregnant with her first child when I saw her this last time, she's from the "other side of the tracks" if you know what I mean, and I have a feeling that the dog is really going to take a back seat when the baby comes.

Oh, and the same day she came in, she said her boyfriend was killed in the early morning hours during some kind of robbery. "And you're bringing the dog in for a groom?" I was a bit taken aback. Guess I shouldn't complain though, huh? She had more than a good enough reason to miss her appointment but she made it in anyway!

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

funny the only OAY's

I've had to do since housecall has an appointment tomorrow evening for two dogs. Gee it's only 9 mo. this time. Last time it was likely a couple of years. Horrible messes, but nice temperaments at least. I left a reminder call today.

Well the guy calls and says the Cocker is in bad pain from a huge tumor, and just to come in and groom the Cock-a-poo sort of mix. Then he asks me where he can get the Cocker put down tonight thinks she's in bad pain. I recommended an E R Vet. I said, Do you want me to still do the other dog tomorrow night? I said cancellations are not okay normally, but I would understand in this case if you wish to wait till another day. Naw, he says, the other dog needs grooming. (sort of like the boyfriend being killed, but get the dog groomed, Tammy). OMG, he made the appointment early last week, oh, can you imagine if I'd have groomed the matted mess dying dog. Poor dog, but at least he feels bad for her, sort of.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                X