Ultrasonic cleaner for blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasonic cleaner for blades

I have been brushing the hair off my blades with a toothbrush then sticking them in the ultrasonic cleaner. They come out sparkling. After that I've been spraying them with Parvolan and then HV'ing them, then oiling them.

Does this sound like they are disinfected enough? What exactly is the ultrasonic cleaner doing other than limiting my need to sit and wash each blade in blade wash (Which I HATE doing---boring and time consuming).

Eventually I may just buy one of these machines, I HATE cleaning my blades, but at the same time I KNOW it's necessary.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

The ultrasonic cleaner is removing tiny particles of hair and debris, some of which may be so fine you wouldn't even notice it, but it'll still dull your blades.

To be honest, I'd skip the Parvolan and just dip them in H42, put them on a towel, and let them sit for 10 minutes, wipe them dry and oil.

Comment

Im glad this topic is back.

I still havent purchased a sonic cleaner yet. But I probably should. My wife is horrible about cleaning her blades and I end up doing it!

Here is how I do it. Run blades on low in H42 on junky Oster clipper. Stand blades in small basket on paper towel. HV blades to remove excess H42 and debris.

Then I oil cutter side of blade and place in her blade box.

Jason

Comment

gee Jason, what a sweetie of you to do that for her!!

Comment

Ultrasonics are what hospitals use to clean all the surgical instruments. It gets into the little crevices that just running a blade on a clipper can't do. A decent one for a small shop is about $200. The higher the hertz (freqeuncy) the better it will clean. If you get a heated one you have to be careful not to put any cleaners in it that are petroleum based, due to risk of fire. H-42 is a petroleum based product.

Tim
          Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
          123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

In your opinion

Tim do you think purchasing one is a worth while investment for me?

I have wanted to get one for a while just havent been able to bring myself to buy one.

Jason

Comment

Everyone that finally got an ultrasonic (a good one) says they were glad they did. It is well worth the investment and you can clean other things like your combs too in it.

Tim
              Last edited by lovessharpening; 03-27-07, 04:47 AM.
              123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Comment

you talked me into it

Ok I broke down and ordered it.

I will let you know how it works out.

Jason

Comment

[QUOTE= A decent one for a small shop is about $200. The higher the hertz (freqeuncy) the better it will clean. If you get a heated one you have to be careful not to put any cleaners in it that are petroleum based, due to risk of fire. H-42 is a petroleum based product.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Tim I have been reading both your and Jeff’s responses on both of the web grooming sites that I have recently found. If you don’t mind I have a couple of questions about the info of this thread. I would like a little more information. How much Hertz is recommended? Does anyone have any brand names they would recommend? At this time I am using H42 and like alott of other groomers, I hate cleaning my blade (I do it every afternoon).

I've looked at your videos. Thanks for the education.

Comment

Originally posted by lovessharpening View Post
                    Everyone that finally got an ultrasonic (a good one) says they wer eglad they did. It is well worth the investment and you can clean other things like your combs too in it.

Tim
                    You can also clean your jewelry in them. Your rings and things will sparkle like they do after you have them cleaned at a jewelry store. Because jewelry stores us ultrasonic cleaners too, lol.

Comment

Oh, I can't tell you how much happier I am since I've started using an ultrasonic cleaner.

I HATE HATE HATE cleaning my blades, like I said before, and also like I said before, I KNOW how important it is---not just for the dogs health, not just for my blades, but so my CLIPPER lasts longer as well.

So here is my new routine (call it laziness, but it works for me):

Each morning I quickly brush off the hair from my blades, slide the cutter over and LEAVE it over, brush out hair, stick them in the basket of the ultrasonic cleaner, let 'em go for about 10 minutes. Well, I turn the knob to "10" so I'm assuming that means minutes! Then I dump them out and tell all the vet techs, "Anybody want some french fries or shrimps?" because when I pull up the basket, I feel like I'm lifting a batch of fries out of grease! So I wrap them in a towel, put them on my grooming table and spray them VERY VERY well with H-42 on both sides, and let them sit for a minute or so. Then I HV them dry with a towel underneath, oil them quickly and get on my way.

I just can't stand sitting there running my blades through cleaner, wiping it off, bla bla bla...

I'm so glad I now have this otion at my fingertips.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I am putting together some info on ultrasonics for an article and the website. Once it is done I will post it here.

Thanks

Tim
                        123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Comment

For what a groomer will use this unit for, the low cost one in the Harbor Freight catalogue will do fine. It willmtake H-42 and beat the buildup off your blade pretty good.
                          If you want the high frequency machines you'll pay alot for it so the low cost unit will make the procedure affordable

I had one at work and it was the $150 unit and it cleaned blades just fine. Brush or blow the hair off and stick them in there for about 5 minutes at first. They will be nice and clean.

Jeff

Comment

I got an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight the other day. Worked great on my own blades. They were sooo clean! And easy too!

Today I had a super test for it. My father in law breeds poodles and of course shaves them down himself. His blades get gunky cuz he doesn't bother to clean his blades at all. Talk about disgusting! So, I took the cutter out of each blade, got as much gunk out as I could and then stuck them in the US cleaner with Laube blade cleaner. After 5 minutes I scrubbed some more gunk out and now I can send them off to get sharpened without feeling too bad!

Now I need some new blade cleaner tho!

Deanne

Comment

so theres on on harbor freight that is 30 bucks? is that one to small to get? or would that work?

Comment

Working...
                              X