Managing multiple groomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing multiple groomers

I have 2 new groomers coming in. My question is how do you keep up with appointments? for who? times? who groomed what? I thought about getting a big dry erase board to add names and instructions on...with 3 columns, one for each groomer. What systems do you use and what is the easiest way to do this? note: I do not send the client card around with the groomers.All client files are kept in my office/grooming room.

If I recall, baddog uses the method you mentioned above, ask her.

I am scatter brained, I don't know HOW I would keep track, LOL.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

at one shop i worked at bathing...they just had a notebook and they had it in two columns. ie...
      Sarah-
      fluffy bunns at 8
      kipper at 9
      suzie butter at 10
      etc etc
      then
      Kelly-
      buddy at 830
      snuffy at 900
      fluffy b. at 10
      etc etc...
      this way they each knew who's dogs they wer that were coming in...also the dogs were dropped off all at once and some came in later on during the day.
      now if you do by appointment...then i would just schedule their dogs and put on a dry erase board..
      sara's dogs and her dogs scheduled for whatever time it is and then kellys dogs and then your dogs. give them a COPY of the card or write down what the owner wants done to the dog unless a receptionist checks in/out the dogs. another thing that would help is putting a dry erase board in the bathing room (if you have a bather who bathes the dogs) and put down WHO is doing what dog...ie..if you have 2 or 3 dogs coming in at staggered times...put down fluffybutt-breed-and groomers name or initials. this is what worked for ME when the dogs all came in in the morning...whomever checked the dog in would come in and write it down on the board. so if 3 of one groomers dogs where there and only one of anothers then i would wash one groomers, set it in a cage with towels, then wash the other groomers, set in cage with towels go back to first dog and dry then dry the other dog this way they both have dogs ready for them.
      Hound

Comment

We just use an appointment book with seperate columns for each groomer. And when I managed the corporate shop, we did the same thing.

If I didn't want the groomers to have access to all the client information on the pet's card, I'd invest in some lined file cards, put the dog's name, d.o.b. and breed on the top of the card, and let the groomer have that to work from. They can make whatever notes they feel they need for that pet, not only groom notes, but pick up time, health, behavior, what shampoo they use, or anything they feel necessary for future reference. You can keep those cards in a seperate file box, in a place where the groomers have access to them.

We pull all our file cards the day before, sort them by groomer, and each groomer can pick them up when they come in. We have a white board in each grooming room (we have two), with hooks for the dog's leash/collar, and slots that hold the cards. The dog's name is written on the board next to the hook, so there's not much chance of mixing them up. When the dog is finished, we pull the card from the board, make our notes (including additional fees for mats or flea treatment) and take them to the receptionist, who enters the info into the computer and calls the pet's owner if they need to be called.

I don't care if I have the owner information on the card, but I like to see the pets history, so I can make note of health changes, or seasonal changes in the groom. That way, when Fluffenbutts owner says "Time for his summer cut" I can look back at what I did last summer, and start asking questions based on that.

Comment

hmm what if I bought those lil clip boards, hung them on the cages with the grooming info on them and what groomer is to do it? On this client card I can have them list what add-ons they used or whatever special instructions are there, and they can initial it and turn it in to the front desk when the dog is ready to go home? then I would know, who groomed, how much, when ready and have those cards turned in everyday so I will know how much they get paid? does this make sense? if you see a problem here that Im not seeing, please tell me quick!!! LOL thanks ladies!!! (I already have a bathers board, so they know who the dog is, who is to groom it and what shampoo it gets)

Comment

You could use clip boards, or you could get cage card holders. I don't see why it wouldn't work, either way.

Comment

I had postcards made, it has all of the basic info and place for add-ons (I will send you a copy:-). We put each postcard on the kennel and that cards follows the dog all day and on the back are little notes on attitude. Only client info is dogs name and breed. When I opened my salon a couple of years ago, I sat down with an attorney- as long as you do not make the client info accessible you can prosecute if they leave with client info.

Comment

I use a dry erase board, each groomer has their own color marker, I put the dogs name, cut, time in/out and price.....never phone #'s or anything that can be used to "help" the groomers start making a list. This works great for me and it makes it easy to figure commission for the day.

Comment

I just get the names of the dogs on an index card, what they are, what they get and the time they're due out. I tried the dry erase, but I'm horrible at keeping up with things.

Comment

The dry erase board also allows me to see how efficient my shop is running.

Comment

You could put up a dry erase or chauk board by each station.
                      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

123 Pet

I have 123 pet software which seperates the dogs by groomer. Also every morning I simply print one piece of paper that has all the dogs including their grooming instructions. Cards will soon be a thing of the past.

Comment

The problem with using just a dry erase board is that the groomer has no way to track past behavior, doesn't have info on health issues, etc.

Index cards allow you to do that without giving access to client info.

Ours were set up like this

Fluffenbutt Jones, toy poodle, d.o.b. 10/02
                          history of seizures
                          Hypo-A shampoo & conditioner
                          not a biter, but fussy for nails

00/00/00 #4 kennel cut. CF,PF,Roman TK. fleas p/u time noon, $$+$ flea tx
                          00/00/00 same grm, no fleas, ears red/itchy ref to vet, p/u 1pm $$
                          00/00/00 same, ears worse, wild child today, p/u 11am $$
                          00/00/00 same, ears improving, small lump on chest, hard and rigid, ref to
                          vet, wild & fussy, p/u noon $$+$$ hth
                          00/00/00 same, ears ok, behavior worse, biting/nails p/u 1pm $$+$$ hth

This allows the groomer to quickly see the pets health issues, history of behavior, and make note of any changes noticed.

Comment

We use cage cards (not the actual file, we make cage cards for each visit) Like Helly said it will have health issues, muzzle warnings, haircut and shampoo instructions, etc.
                            Plus with a dry erase board I can tell you right now I tend to have a bad habit of rubbing against them, and erasing stuff. If something gets erased it may be a pain in the butt to correct.
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                              We use cage cards (not the actual file, we make cage cards for each visit) Like Helly said it will have health issues, muzzle warnings, haircut and shampoo instructions, etc.
                              Plus with a dry erase board I can tell you right now I tend to have a bad habit of rubbing against them, and erasing stuff. If something gets erased it may be a pain in the butt to correct.
                              My dry erase board has a shelf under it so you couldn't rub up against it. I am the only one doing any erasing! If a groomer erases it, they don't get paid for it! I just like having all my info in a central location , so I can glance at the board and know exactly where we are for the day, I don't have to waste time onterupting a groomer to ask if "bingo" has been groomed yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X