I had to help be the bad guy to my own dog today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to help be the bad guy to my own dog today

My poor sonny get a bad bite in his armpit at daycare/playtime yesterday and had to go to the vet today I had to help hold him and get the muzzle on him and forcefully tell him to cut out his thrashing around and behave himself. Turns out he must of got bit earlier and the big gash in his armpit is an abcess that erupted (The poor thing)

How come it is so much easier to do that with other people's dogs but not so much with your own.

I did warn them to get a muzzle ahead of time because he snapped at me last night when I was cleaning it up and that is unusual for him and I didn't want to know what he might do to them.

He's usually very well behaved and listens but not when pain is involved and this is the second time he has gone to the vet ( The first with a shattered nail length wise up to his toe) where a LOT of pain was involved and he just wasn't having it and I don't blame him.

He started whining and panting and stressing as soon as we got in the exam room, I think he remembered them trying to yank his nail out before he had sedation. I had to leave him there to be knocked out cause it is already infected and it needed a drain and some anitbiotics. I came home and cried.

Boy he's not gonna be my friend for the rest of the day. The vet was like I can't believe you can hold him and pick him up that way.

How the heck do you get the icons into the text section now?
    Last edited by DAPER DAWG; 03-23-07, 12:00 PM.

I know the feeling. One of my girls freaks out with the vet and my other girl absolutely loves the vet. These are cats, by the way. For the girls, we have a vet that does house calls. I have to be the one to hold my girl when the vet comes over. Her dad wont do it, because as soon as she starts whining he wants to let her go. He starts saying.. I cant do this. So the rest of the day, everyone hates me. I have to lock up my good girl because she wont let the vet do anything! She tries to sit in his lap and starts kissing him while hes working on my other girl.

Comment

I love my dogs, but it does not bother me to correct them if they do bad. When Diamienono was younger she used to have to be muzzled to do her nails. I had no problem doing it. So if he got bit awhile ago, why didn't the daycare notice it or tell you? HMM. These things happen, but they should be supervised at all times and you should be told of incidents.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Oh so sorry to hear about your poor dog. He was in pain, I think its only natural for him to snap.

I had a bout with 12 kidney stones this past fall, I was in pain and was ready to bite all nurses, doctors and my husband, if they didn't get me pain medication asap!! LOL

I am sure that he will forgive you as soon as he gets home.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvkitties View Post
          Oh so sorry to hear about your poor dog. He was in pain, I think its only natural for him to snap.

I had a bout with 12 kidney stones this past fall, I was in pain and was ready to bite all nurses, doctors and my husband, if they didn't get me pain medication asap!! LOL

I am sure that he will forgive you as soon as he gets home.
          LOL - that's too funny I'm a miserable patient too I hate doctors.

That's why I felt so bad, I knew he was in pain but I needed to be firm with him so that he could be treated.

He's been sleeping all day so hopefully he won't be up all night again trying to lick that spot so I don't have to get up and put the E-collar back on cause he kept running into the walls with it when he got home.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
            I love my dogs, but it does not bother me to correct them if they do bad. When Diamienono was younger she used to have to be muzzled to do her nails. I had no problem doing it. So if he got bit awhile ago, why didn't the daycare notice it or tell you? HMM. These things happen, but they should be supervised at all times and you should be told of incidents.
            I called the day care immediately and no one saw him get bit and they looked around the yard for anything sharp. This is the second time he had unexplainable boo boo's ( he's been going there for 3+years). It does make me worry as to the level of supervision sometimes and they swear someone is with the dogs all day. This is a really nasty bite and abscess.

I'm going to have to re-asess(sp) whether or not I want to board him there and have him go to playtime while were on vacations because, now I don't feel safe knowing whethrer or not they would catch anything wrong and he could be there for days with an unnoticed problem like this.

Normally I don't feel bad correcting my dog, just today because I know he was in a lot of pain and I had to be stern to avoid having the vets staff being hurt and to get the cut treated (Although at almost $400 they could endure a little pain). He normally listens very well and he looked at me like I was a traitor. (just my quilty conscious I know) but he wouldn't even drink water I tried to give him when he got home like oh no now what are you going to do to me.

Comment

Well, sometimes a dog has no other way to communicate, so all they're left with is biting a making a "scene," LOL.

Yesterday Spike had his blood drawn for his heartworm test, and the techs had to put this teeny weeny itty bitty muzzle on him because he kept snapping. He looked hilarious with this smashed little muzzle and it made his head look big compartively speaking...he looked so dumb! Poor Spike!

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Daper Dawg

believe me...i have worked at a doggy daycare where it was just me and another girl...she worked in the office and i was in the back ALONE SUPERVISING 20 TO 30 LARGE DOGS! all by myself! it was one big room...they all ran around together...and its very possible that if the person was outside cleaning the yard area that dogs inside CAN get injured and no one see's it happen. if the daycare your going to only has one large room that is NOT divided then i would switch daycares. yes someone may be back there...but someone might not ALWAYS have their eyes on the dogs. it was hard enough trying to supervise all the dogs at one time...but if you have a fight going on in one corner..and you are splitting that up...and then theres another fight going on in the opposite corner or even outside...then theres no way you can be everywhere at once. i would make sure that the daycare your going too has at LEAST 2 to 3 SEPERATED rooms. im sure you can pop in unexpectedly also...we got in trouble if the person in the back had to go to the bathroom and the person in front was busy and had to go back there to supervise the dogs for ya! if i were you...id seriously consider switching daycares.
                JMO
                Hound

Comment

Hound lover - yeah they have three seperate areas for playing and take turns letting them out into the larger play yard. I tried bringing him to another daycare closer to home but he hated it. He really loves going there I'm just not sure I'll board him there again and let him play. Because if he has a bad cut like this that no one notices the bacteria could enter his bloodstream and kill him. No one knows the signs your dog is in distress as good as you do.

The last time we boarded him, he came home with a nasty rash around his penis. I really want to find someone to watch him at my house and bring him t playtime so. they can check him at the end of the day for possible boo boo's like we do.

He wasn't even really trying to bite at the vet he was just thrashing and trying to get away from us. I wanted the muzzle on because I felt if we cornered him and he had no choice he'd use the teeth. I know I would've if someone was poking at my tender abcess.

Comment

Working...
                  X