Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my clients died from the dog food! (They think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my clients died from the dog food! (They think)

One of my clients has 2 dogs. One is a 16 yr old Ckr/Doxxie mix and the other one is a young Tibetian Terrier. They went to Disney world three weeks ago and left the older dog (Crosby) at the vets. She started going into kidney failure while they were gone. They cut their vacation early and came back to be with her when she was put down. The vet said their was nothing else to be done because of her age. They just though it was age related until this came out about the dog food. They were feeding Crosby one of the brands (ole roy I think) of packet wet food. Little Crosby was a very spry girl, you would have thought she was only about 10 or so. So sad!
    SheilaB from SC

So sorry for your client's loss. It is so tragic that loved pets are dying just because they were fed! And I have heard some people claim that is the owners would have fed a better food....But that is soo wrong, ANYdog food company has the potential of receiving "bad" ingredients from their suppliers. the really sad thing is, since dogs are seen as "property" in the eyes of the law and since this (at least with what we know right now) is not intentional. There will probably no way for owners to get any conpensation.
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Nows a good time for a card and some flowers

I always think of loosing a pet the same as a friend or family. I hope you concider a sympathy card. I bet a lot of people are going to start thinking about pet insurence. I carry it on one of my horses, but didn't know untill recently they have it for house pets too. Sorry for the loss.

Comment

This is so sad. Now I've heard the company's response was slow! How many pets will die just because they drug their feet?! Sorry for you... losing a customer's pet always hurts so much because we feel their pain so deeply.

Comment

I am so sorry. This is such a horrible thing to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
            This is so sad. Now I've heard the company's response was slow! How many pets will die just because they drug their feet?! Sorry for you... losing a customer's pet always hurts so much because we feel their pain so deeply.
            I wouldn't put a lot of stock in "...the company's response was slow." People who are emotional will make a lot of statements that may or may not be accurate, and the press will both quote them and misquote them.

And look at it from the company's point of view. If you're producing a product that is in such massive quantity as pet food, you don't go into panic mode over one or two claims that "My dog/cat ate your food and died" unless they present you with conclusive evidence that there was something wrong with the food...like tests revealed the animal had botulism.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              I wouldn't put a lot of stock in "...the company's response was slow." People who are emotional will make a lot of statements that may or may not be accurate, and the press will both quote them and misquote them.

And look at it from the company's point of view. If you're producing a product that is in such massive quantity as pet food, you don't go into panic mode over one or two claims that "My dog/cat ate your food and died" unless they present you with conclusive evidence that there was something wrong with the food...like tests revealed the animal had botulism.

Good point Helly. I wonder how much time actually when by after first reports of a problem. Anyone know?

Comment

On CNN it had that they have found Rat Posion in the food. That makes me sick. Someone would have had to have put it in there.

Comment

The way I read it, the poison was on the wheat, to keep the rats out of the wheat while it was in storage, waiting to be sold, in China. No offense intended but I surely wish we bought our food supplies from countries with stronger regulations.

Stephen: You really do want to get veggies and fruits as local as possible. With NAFTA legislation more and more fruits and veggies (especially those at big box stores) comes from South America and Mexico and most of these countries still use DDT pesticide and others which were banned here LONG ago without question. Buy USA if you are concerned and don't assume it was because it is in your local store, especially big box stores. And the meats often come from South America too, and guess what their foods contain...this is why so many major chains like Safeway Stores and others are doing their organic line, they clearly know from consumer studies the future and in the last 8 years a TREMENDOUS number of EPA regulations have been dropped. You are wise to be careful, and remember, what doesn't pass for human consumption ends up in animal feeds...sad...but this is good news for many of you. While a lot of retail doesn't sell at groomers, if you educate your clientele in human grade pet foods NOW, after this big scare, you can get them hooked. This is a fantastic opportunity to let people know what by products mean, like dead companion animals from shelters, etc and start selling premium foods. In the health food store today I heard lady talking about their pet food and she thought the recall was dry food etc, and in less than 2 minutes I had her convinced to switch to Canidae which we buy there. This is an oppty for many of you to learn a lot about labels, make flyers for your clients, and get them hooked on your line of food. Don't markup too steep because they will need it year round, and maybe tie it in with their grooming appts. Older people? Make sure you offer to carry it to their car if you get them on big bags.

Comment

Stephen is right most people know nothing about what goes into their mouths let alone their dogs/cats mouth. Would you knowingly ingest parts of dieased ckns/beef/pork ect., so why should we let our animals eat that?

I know someone who eats only local produce, hormone free-free ranged animals etc. And when I meet her she fed her dog Science Diet. She now feeds California Natural and guess what her dog isn't itchy anymore. She just didn't know, now that she's educated she educates other.

Stephen Note: Thanks. I keep a lot of our consultation client info private but I can say MOST of our groomer clients in the last 3 years have added a great holistic food line to their shops/salons and marketed right, they tell me they are doing fantastic business, and now? This is the perfect time. There's not much retail to sell in the average business today, but this one works IF SOMEONE IS SELLING IT RIGHT. It cannot just sit there. People love to talk about what they feed pets, and if you do it right and educational, and they realize what you have done for their pet's health and happiness, well, the product sells and you have a loyal client. But you must learn to read labels, do your homework, etc to live up to the reputation...I also know groomers now making and selling in frozen bricks all natural or organic wet foods where legal, and DOING WELL. People come in once a week.
                    Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Working...
                    X