furunculosis ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furunculosis ???

In groomer to groomer magazine they had an artical on this a border terrier was hand stripped and bathed she developed a deep skin infection that spread to her bloodstream she died.

It said it is post grooming problem 24-72hrs after a groom. Don't bathe a hand stripped dog for at at least 2 weeks.

diluted shampoo and cream rinse should not be saved over night. and mixing bottles and pumps should be sterilized daily.

Typically painful lesions develop on the back severs redness swelling and turn to large bloody oozing boils that need antibiotics asap

has anyone ever heard of this and do you sterilize your mixing bottles???

it makes sense to me. I use the hydro surge wall mount. I dont have to dilute shampoo first..it does it automatically as you need it. I don't hand strip either.

Comment

Where I work, schnauzers are stripped and bathed all the time. I've not heard of any of them getting hurt from it. I don't strip dogs, myself. I don't know how to do it.

Comment

I hand strip alot of dogs before I bath them and have never had a problem. I generally don't sterilize (spelling) my mixing bottles but rinse them out really good and not everyday. I still don't understand how hand stripping a dog could cause that unless you were extremely rough on the coat.

Comment

thanks for the replies It really worried me. I sure don't understand it

Comment

The way the article read, isn't that it was caused by the handstripping. It is caused by bacteria growing in the pre-diluted shampoo that sits around mixed for days and using the same shampoo buckets to apply the infected shampoo without sterilizing

They say the infections happen even with dogs who just have a bath and/or dogs who get shaved. The theory is that the process of shaving, stripping and or brushing the dog and/or pushing the hair around vigorously in the bath allows the shampoo to penetrate the hair shafts and or open pores and let the defective/ bacteria ridden shampoo penetrate the skin pores more easily.

We did have a few occassions where I worked where dogs broke out with red itchy bumps within a few days of being groomed so maybe they had a milder case of this same thing because some were just baths and some were full grooms and of course the owner said the vet called it clipper burn.

Comment

[QUOTE=PetsRus;31693 I still don't understand how hand stripping a dog could cause that unless you were extremely rough on the coat.[/QUOTE]

The same way plucking ear hair can cause infection. You pull out hair that isn't quite ready to come out, leave open pores, introduce bacteria into the skin. If you intoduce enough bacteria, the dog gets an infection. If it's a particularly virulent strain of bacteria, and/or the dog's immune system isn't up to par, the dog dies.

I'd be interested to know what they meant when they said "strip". Was the coat being rolled, or did they strip him bare?

Comment

I've never heard of this...but I did have a dog a couple of years ago that needed Benedryl (sp?) before bathing cause it got bumps on it's back. We could never figure out why. Used all the vet shampoo, nothing seemed to make a difference. She was an Aust. shep. Don't know if this could have been what they're talking about.

Comment

hmm makes scence

where I worked before we made a bucket of shampoo up for the PRIMA machine sometime it wouldn't all get used and we would forget about it and a couple of days later it was slimy looking. And inside the PRIMA we would have to bleach and scrub the inside because a slimy scaly residue would build up. So check your PRIMA's if you have them. I like my recirculating machine. I still clean it with bleach water once a week. Or more if needed.

Comment

I don't understand how the bacteria gets in the shampoo. Does it come from the air and then grow in the shampoo? Is it in the water that's mixed with the shampoo? Can it get into the undiluted shampoo when the cap is off?

Comment

i too had never heard of this ... and very suprised to hear that it can be life threatening. they gave the example of a border terrier in england that was handstripped, then bathed - there was then an infection that went into the dogs bloodstream, poisoning her and she died. :-(

but does the bateria come from the shampoo itself? or dirty tanks? i don't get it.....

Comment

This article is also confusing the daylights out of me. I did some research online & there is very, VERY little info out there on "post-grooming furunculosis" - like 4 results total. Lots of info on regular furunculosis, but it isn't helpful to our application.

The article is implying that the bacteria is getting into diluted bottles of shampoo & then being spread to other dogs. It states "The bacterium ... is grown from affected dogs and the shampoo that was used on them". It says we should only make as much pre-mix as we need that day & sterilize bottles nightly.

First of all, HOW is the bacteria getting into the bottles of shampoo? When I hand apply shampoo, the bottle is not really contacting the dog. The shampoo either drizzles along the dog, or I put the shampoo into my hand first. Then the bottle goes away on the shelf.

Second, wouldn't using a bathing system like the Groom Star, or Hydrosurge, eliminate this risk, seeing as the shampoo bottles are nowhere near the dog? There is simply a tube going into the bottle (on the floor or a shelf), and all the dog contacts is the spray nozzle (which one would hope is self-cleaning to some degree!)

Very confusing!!

Comment

Its not just confusing, its...oh heck, I can't even think of the right word.

Let's think about this for a minute.

Shampoo is not sterile. There are bacteria on the outside of the bottle, at the very least. Our water is also not sterile. Our hands are not sterile. Our tubs are not sterile. The dog's skin is not sterile.

Let's examine that last statement for a minute. A dog's skin is not sterile. There are millions and millions of pathogens on a dog's skin at any given time. There are millions of pathogens under the dog's skin, too. The inside of a dog is no more sterile than the outside of a dog. Taking that into consideration, if stripping a dog is causing that much trauma to the skin, wouldn't it make sense to wash the dog in an antibacterial soap to remove as many of those pathogens as possible?

Comment

Plus, couldn't it not even be the bathing at all, but the bacteria in the grass that it rolls in right AFTER it leaves the grooming shop??? Or at home in the carpet, or along the sides of the couch, or......etc etc.
                            Erin
                            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Bacteria is in our water, air and in our dilution bottles. If you keep using the same bottles without sanitizing them before the next dilution, you are breeding bacteria. When you open a bottle of shampoo and do not use it within a certain time period, the undiluted shampoo will go rancid as well.

As for my recirculating system, I run a diluted bleach solution, or a kennel sanitizer through it at the end of the day. This system is no worse than an unsanitized dilution bottle.

That has to be some pretty rancid shampoo for a dog to die from it! Wouldn't you think that the shampoo would smell horrible?

Comment

Working...
                              X