Scissoring Rounded Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scissoring Rounded Legs

My speed is picking up on my grooming until I need to scissor rounded or barrel legs. Any advice on picking up speed for this?

Practice, practice, practice...lol...speed will come naturally when you feel comfortable w/this part of grooming. Getting the front legs barrel round and matching was one of my biggest challenges, but once I "got" it the speed followed right behind.
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Use snap ons to set the length, then you just need to tidy it up.

Another trick is to clip the back and side parts of the leg, but not the front. Leave the coat a little longer and it'll cover the feet better. Then pick the leg up, hold it straight out to the front, comb the hair down and scissor any hangie downies and stickie outies.

Comment

If you own "Notes" check out the section in the back on the shih tzus and it will show how to use a clip-on-skimming and follow the bone structure of the upper legs to set a length. This is a real time saver. If you don't own "notes", I highly suggest it.

Comment

Pick up the leg and hold it in front of you part the hair down the middle of front and back side with your comb and scissor each side of the part.
          Next look at the side of the leg and part the hair down the middle using your comb on the side, part from the inside of the leg as well, now scissor the front part and the back part. All that will be left is the area where your hand was at the bottom of the foot/ankle. and you will have a perfectly round leg.

Comment

good topic, I not only have the problem with speed, I can't seem to get them to stay still for it. I do a much better job if the dog will let me hold their front legs out forward. Rear legs aren't usually my problem- it's always the front. But if they are not cooperative about it, then forget it- it always turns out ******. There's got to be a secret to getting them to stay still and let you scissor.

Comment

Snap on combs

This has always been a downfall for me too. I agree with Helly, using a snap on has helped speed things up for me alot. I go down the leg, then up the leg - both directions. Then scissor to tidy up the ends and even it all out. It knocked at least 20 minutes of scissoring off for me...I am telling ya, it used to take me FOREVER to scissor legs. You can use the snap on even if you're going for a longer look on the leg - just use a longer snap on.

Comment

Like Helly said, the easiest way I've found is setting the length w/the snap on, then pick up the foot in the "pointing position", if they try to pull the foot away, let them but don't let go.just keep holding it, be calm, give em that look like, are u done yet? Then proceed. Once you have a routine, you'll get faster.

Comment

AAAwww man I have been using the combs all over the legs!

Now I know What I have been doing wrong and why My legs come out so skinny sometimes!!!!

Comment

I find holding the leg at the arm pit, putting a slight amount of pressure will make them extend their leg for me:-) then I can scissor my pillars.

Comment

I have been using bulk thinners for everything. Takes a little practice, but it is quick and fun and almost mistake proof.

Comment

bulk thinners? you mean you don't use the straights at all, just use the thinners to do the barrel look? I never even thought of that, maybe I should invest in some better thinners.... So does that mean I should try getting thinners that are longer with larger teeth? I only have 2 small pairs that are very small teeth and they don't take a whole lot off at once.

Come to think of it, I have some grooms I can't hardly get through without frustration to make the dogs look neat with their cooperation, I think that my actually help me.

Comment

Crystal I'm confused too. I don't know how you could get barrel shaped legs (I call them "stovepipe legs" same diff), with thinners.

I use straights, and I hold the leg out by the two middle toes, or sometimes I hold the dog by the larger pad on the bottom of the foot. I comb (not brush) and fluff outward and shake the leg into a natural position. I scissor around the leg (learned this from former employer), starting from the top or side, and scissor AROUND, not "chunk here, chunk there, sticky outie here, sticky outie there, snip snip snip..." Nope, I scissor around the leg, parallel with the leg.

But it's still hard for me, I don't have a very steady hand. I try real hard though.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                            Pick up the leg and hold it in front of you part the hair down the middle of front and back side with your comb and scissor each side of the part.
                            Next look at the side of the leg and part the hair down the middle using your comb on the side, part from the inside of the leg as well, now scissor the front part and the back part. All that will be left is the area where your hand was at the bottom of the foot/ankle. and you will have a perfectly round leg.
                            I'm confused how do you part hair down the inside and outside of the leg while holding it up in your hand? Maybe If I saw if being done it might make more sense.

Comment

Tammy, that's how I do it too.

But how do you deal with dogs who hate their feet being touched and just wiggle right out of it. that's the part that gets me frustrated.

The only thing I use thinners for is blending and bulk thinning, then all the other times it's straight shears.

I hardly ever use curves anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X