Snap ons on yorkie,westie or cairn heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap ons on yorkie,westie or cairn heads

I watched a marlene romani s/o video in which she uses a snap on backwards going up the sides of the cheeks of yorkies and on the top of the head does anyone else do this? It gives a good layered look.

I usually take a longer comb on the top of head and face, take off extra hair then scissor finishing. If the body is a #0 comb, then a #1 comb for head, depends on what kind of face/hair I am deal with.
    I began doing this after I watch the same DVD, I practiced on some dogs that needed to be trim shorter for finish, now I can pretty much freely use my comb with vac on heads.

Comment

I do this on most of the breeds I do with round heads. I love that it's so quick and easy. I don't think I'd do it if I didn't have a CV though. I think it really makes those Westie heads so cute! I usually do a longer comb then I'm able to shape the last little bit by hand. Yorkie heads I probably do 50/50. Depends on what look the owners want, sometimes they want that long look just neatened up, so I don't use the clipper, I just sciss the bottoms of the beard and cheeks, otherwise, it's the clipper in rev.
      Erin
      No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Yes! Yes! Yes! I love doing this.

I use the clipper vac so I use a 1" comb from back of the head to front on Yorkies and westies, but it depends on the overall clip, of course. NOW, what I do differently is I go down the sides of the face, not up, and then I scissor neaten---this is only so that I don't take more off than I want so I can shape it with my scissors. I'm sure doing it UP the sides of the face will be great, I just haven't tried it.

It makes life SO much easier!

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I always do this on faces to set the length and save time. I then finish it up by trimming the long bits like a hairdresser does layered hair to make it lay nicely. I did the layer cut on a yorkie today on the whole body. I only took off about 1/2" overall, but he looked SO good and mom was just thrilled! She likes him long, but not to the floor.

Comment

I don't have a CV and I use longer combs on the top of heads in reverse, but never reverse on the cheeks. First, I go with the grain to set the look. Then I go reverse on the back of the head to blend.

Comment

Most of my yorkies that get "haircuts" get a fairly short (1") trim, or they get the "westie cut" or the short short body, with longer legs, like Spike. So the 1" works for this...

But if the dog is longer, then no way, I just scissor.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

You can go any and every way on the head with a comb, just experiment with lengths, generally we would use a half comb with a 7f, 5f, 4f body, A with 3f or 1/2 comb body, C with A body, etc. Vacs make it easier and neater with less finishing, especially on Westie heads as the vac gives you the Westie look very nicely, I would usually use a C on a Westie head. The only thing you cant do is go upwards on the sides of the head with the same size comb because it will give you a terrier look ( well you can if you want a terrier look), UNLESS you have a very round faced dog, eg pure shih tzu. If you want to go upwards just use a longer comb, or just scissor to tidy after going downwards. Clear as mud....lol. Experiment with the combs, they make life very easy.

Linda in Australia

Comment

yup! haven't seen the video, but i go from back to front all the way around for really round heads for more square tbh i then go front to back. finish with my thinners and they're good to go! what a time saver.

Comment

if an owner wants a really short topknot, I will use a #1 comb on the top of a poodle head, going from front to back only! I cheat lol helps to take down really long top knots too! But I would use longer snap ons!

Comment

I have always scissored anything that was longer than a 3F. Since I got my iVac I have started experementing w/snap on's also and it is a LOT of fun!!! I am a little hesitant still to use a comb on heads, I am just worried that I will take too much off, but I am getting better at it as time goes along. BTW, it takes me a lot longer to use a snap on than to scissor. I am assuming that as I get better at it I will get quicker??? That is one of the purposes of a snap on isn't it....lol
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Snap ons make things so much easier. Too bad they never taught us anything about them in school! You do have to experiment depending on the look you're trying to achieve. I've only done back to front on the top of the head and with the grain on the face. I'm interested to see how it looks.

Does anyone have a picture of a reverse on the face with snap-ons they can post?

Comment

My next major purchase is going to be the clipper vac. I am going to intergroom in NJ next month and maybe they'll have one at a lower price. When you use them do you usually go a blade size of comb longer?

Or does it just save on brushing?

After that I want one of those hydraulic tubs and bathing systems for christmas (Santa are you listening).

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                            I have always scissored anything that was longer than a 3F. Since I got my iVac I have started experementing w/snap on's also and it is a LOT of fun!!! I am a little hesitant still to use a comb on heads, I am just worried that I will take too much off, but I am getting better at it as time goes along. BTW, it takes me a lot longer to use a snap on than to scissor. I am assuming that as I get better at it I will get quicker??? That is one of the purposes of a snap on isn't it....lol
                            Sheila, TRY IT! I'm serious, it feathers the hair, it layers it, and it takes off length. I do that and then just scissor neaten, and it works!

Scissoring is great, this is just a good way to take some length off BEFORE you scissor. You just need to take the edges off with your shears and you're done!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Yes you do need to use longer blades and combs with a vac, how much longer depends on the suction of your vac. I have a small vac with low suction so only need to go up one size but something like a large shop vac would require two sizes up.

Sheila, just use your longest comb and then go down in size until you get the length you want. Also have a look at www.groomingsmarter.com Debi has pictures on there. I also think Spikey has posted pictures of round heads done with combs here somewhere.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X