Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was NOT good

Not good at all.

When I got to work, it didn't look like I had all that bad of a day. Boy, was I wrong. When I first walked in the door at 9, I discovered a minor mix-up. I had a basset that needed to be done first, as it was boarding and was going home early. Not a problem. But I also had a toy poodle, whack job owner insisted he does not want the dog crated at all. I was to do him straight through, and call 20 minutes before I expected to finish, so he could be there when the dog is finished.

OK, I can do this. I bathe Mr. Poodle, wrap him in towels, and put him in ex-pen while I bathe the basset and do her nails. Blow her off quickly and pop her in a crate to finish drying while I get back to the poodle. While I'm working on the poodle, my boss comes back to have a chit chat about his owner.

It seems Mr. Owner is a total fuss budget. He used to bring the dog to the previous groomer, but got mad, threw a fit, and went to another groomer because (get this) she put his collar on wrong. The tags were hanging backwards! So if he throws a fit, don't take it personally. We'll just suggest he take his problems down the hall.

When I'm ready to start my scissor work, I call the owner. He complains that I couldn't possibly have done a good job that fast! But he'll be there in 15-20 minutes. He gets the dog, looks him over, doesn't say a word. I ask if there's anything he'd like me to change. He doesn't know. His wife will have to check the dog over. And he leaves.

Next dog is an old land shark disguised as a Shih Tzu. His breath is horrid, his teeth are all but falling out, but he's not afraid to use them, just the same. Can't muzzle him due to health/breathing problems. He's supposed to get a groom, but all I can do is give him a bath. Owner is very understanding, but I'm scared to death the dog is going to drop dead at any minute.

Next dog; hysterical 3 year old Corgi mix, getting his first bath. And I do mean hysterical. It was not fun.

And so it went, all morning.

But wait. It gets better. Last two dogs, nail trims only. They're boarding. Fetch first dog from kennel. She's about 100 pounds, but a good girl. Nails are done in no time. I go te fetch her brother, a Great Dane. They are kenneled together. He comes out, she goes in. Then she changes her mind and comes out, he goes back in. In, out, out, in. I'm caught in the middle, end up flat on my back, bang my head on the floor, scrape my shoulder, bruise my butt, and dislocate a couple of toes. Lucky for me, they're "trick toes". I can just pop 'em back in place, but it hurts like heck.

I did manage to get the nails done on the Dane, but now I can hardly walk. My foot is throbbing, my toes look like little sausages. If I had to work tomorrow, I'd call in dead.

And the good news is Mr. Fussbudget didn't call back to complain. All in all, take a tylenol and call it a night. Sorry it wasn't a hot one, Helly, but isn't it nice that we all understand?

I don't even want to look at my printed schedule for Monday. I want it to be next saturday already, lol.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Helly, My goodness girl, sounds like you had one of "those" days! Have a drink, (or something relaxing) soak the toes in epsom salts and take a rest!

Hope thing feel better tomorrow.

Comment

oh Helly! I feel for you! I hope you have a nice long relaxing weekend!!! try to forget the war for a couple of days!!! keep your chin up (and your toes!) lol

Comment

Poor Helly

I havent posted much recently, been extremely busy.

But I couldnt help feeling bad for you on your awful day.

First Bath on a 3 year old dog? GROSS!

Jason

Comment

Not Good

Oh Helly, you have my sympathy. I bet the first thing you did was look around to make sure that nobody saw you take that spill. Just make sure that you show your boss the bruises and tell them that you are considering applying for hazard pay.

Comment

So, is there a right and wrong way for the tags to hang? From the sounds of some of these employers that some have, do you have to ask permission before you call in dead?

Comment

Sometimes you just can't win. Next time you do Mr Poodle you will probably take a few minutes longer and Mr Owner will get mad about that also. As far as your two huge nail clip dogs...I have this awful mental image of you laying on the ground by an open crate with these two huge dogs walking back and forth over you with your mangled toes in the air. Hope you have a nice restful Sunday.

Comment

OMG sounds like my day... Had a snow storm here so everything is messed up!! First dog cocker puppy 2nd time I groomed her jeez she is a brat I felt like rippin my hair out out second dog yorkiepoo want semi short is usually a good boy, not today I felt like rippin HIS hair out, last dog, cause everyone else cancelled is a cocker that is old and blind she is very good I am thrilled to do this dog.... not today she tries to bite , scratch and any thing else to be bad today I felt like screamin!!! I did go and get some luck of the irish later on I needed it!!...Glad this week is OVER!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
                    As far as your two huge nail clip dogs...I have this awful mental image of you laying on the ground by an open crate with these two huge dogs walking back and forth over you with your mangled toes in the air.
                    I have almost the same image.

Hope you have a restful even. Put your feet up, set back and just veg in front of the TV (no brain power needed there) or whatever you enjoy doing.

At least this day is over and you have tomorrow to rest up.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

I hope tomorrow treats you better! Just be glad you have a day off! I'm going in tomorrow to do most if not all of the 19 (yes, 19!) departure baths scheduled for Monday, you gotta love spring break!

Comment

Oh My, So Sorry.

I hope your head is ok.Didn't your shos help? guess not. You always seem to be working sooo hard, doing dogs I don't take anymore. Sleep late tomorrow and I hope someone brings you brunch in bed.

Comment

Annie

Actually your day sounded like a piece of cake compared to mine. Mine started out with a toy poodle that had to be out by 10:30. No problem so I start her and am told my two collies have arrived. They have not been groomed since November and owner wants the girl asap. Really is that not funny or what. So I demat girl and boy is she blowing her coat. Then I finish toy poodle. Finish girl collie and start the boy. Her owner comes and gets her and says she will pay when she picks up her brother and goes home to inspect her. The boy is way worse than the girl. He is also 11 years old and really should have been clipped down. Dogs that old with bad hips should not be tortured. I am very gentle with them and have been dematting for years but it really bothers me when people do not maintain an older animal. He needs grooming on a monthly basis not twice a year and his owner always has some excuse. No matter how gentle you are with them they are still going to be sore. If from nothing else having to stand so you can do your job. I finally get him dematted at 2:00 and still have my scottie to do by 2:00. Another day in the life we have chosen. Then I have an oversized old airedale and a mixed terrier and a poodle in a lamb cut. Then I have my phsyco Lhasa, gotta love those Lhasa's and last but not least a poodle in a continental whos owner shows up when she has not been finished. Thank god she does'nt mind as long as I can bring her home since one of the employees told her when she called that her princess was done. That makes nine and I'm sure I forgot one or two that I just can't rememberat this hour and what am I doing up so late anyhow? Oh yeah and the collie lady promised she would bring her kids in next month. Boy have I heard that before. All in the life of a groomer but I would'nt change anything for the world.. I truly love working with all these animals.Even the bad ones are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
                            Sometimes you just can't win. Next time you do Mr Poodle you will probably take a few minutes longer and Mr Owner will get mad about that also. As far as your two huge nail clip dogs...I have this awful mental image of you laying on the ground by an open crate with these two huge dogs walking back and forth over you with your mangled toes in the air. Hope you have a nice restful Sunday.
                            ROFLMAO - I had this happen at doggie playtime once with a pack of fifteen. I was throwing balls for them and one big lab got me behind the knees and I went flat out on my back, knocked the wind out of me.

I couldn't get up fast enough and two seconds later I was the toy and surrounded by these fifteen large dogs chewing on me and playing pig pile on my chest.

Helly- Hope your not too sore today. I'd be soaking my whole body in espsom salts and bubble bath while having a chocalate martini.

Comment

Run a nice warm bubble bath. Dim the lights. Light candle. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Put on nice relaxing soft music. Take phone off the hook. Get in tub immediately!
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X