Dryers/Time Saving Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryers/Time Saving Tips?

Hi. My business is a very small home grooming one and it has gotten a lot busier than almost 4 yrs. ago, so I purchased my 1st Cage/Table Top Dryer from Oster and I LOVE it! Now, I don't have experience with Cage Dryers. To save time w/heavier coated dogs, such as Goldens, is it ok, meaning will I get the same neatness if I blow most of the water and hair off w/my high velocity dryer then put them in the crate w/the crate dryer to get rid of the rest of the dampness so that I can work on another dog at the same time? Also, does "The Stuff" make dogs dry faster, cuz I swear it seems like it. That product is absolutely awesome for loosening tangles and mats and as you're drying you can just feel hair becoming like silk even on very short coated dogs and leaves them so shiny. I'm so excited that I'm becoming an actual steady business, but I don't want to ruin it w/short cuts that may not achieve nice neat results. Again for the millionth time, thank you everybody, I don't know what I'd do w/out this site. I know that part of my growth is because I'm really self conscious about what I do and I love it, but I know I couldn't have learned all the tricks, etc. that my customers love w/out you all.

Hi there,

This is a great question and you'll likely get a lot of different responses because each person has his or her own way of doing things so here's another one. I prefer not to kennel dry anything that has hair longer than a #7. BUT, like you, I want to save time.

Before I go any further, is your kennel dryer heated? Personally, I don't use those. They have the potential to be very dangerous.

What I do to save time now is to wrap the dog in towels. If it's a sheltie or other full coated dog like a golden, I will blow the drippy water off with the HV dryer, and then wrap the dog in towels, tying them or clipping them to the dog. Oh, before wrapping the dog, make sure it's coat is flat on it's back so that it doesn't dry sticking up in every direction.

Put the towel-wrapped dog ON a towel or two in a kennel and go to your next dog. Return to towel-wrapped dog later and it will not only be partly dried, if it's a golden, it's hair will be laying flat around the back and you can finish blow-drying it that way. This is a GREAT way to speed up the drying time of cocker spaniels while you work on another dog. YOu know how long those cockers can take to dry!

Good luck, it sounds like your business is doing well, and that is so good to hear, especially for home grooming (I'm planning on doing that one day).

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hi just wondering where to purchase the product The Stuff ive heard tell of it but didnt know it really existed any more.i live in canada wondering where it can be purchased thanks

Comment

Originally posted by groomer1 View Post
        hi just wondering where to purchase the product The Stuff ive heard tell of it but didnt know it really existed any more.i live in canada wondering where it can be purchased thanks
        I get it from Pet Edge. Just go on petedge.com. I love it, also, because it's hypoallergenic and has no scent so I can use it on sensitive dogs AND it doesn't mess with the smell of the shampoo I use!

Comment

Like Tammy I use a lot of towels. But I use a moisture magnet first, the mummy wrap in towels. Then I do nails and ears. By the time I've finished those, the towels have done their job. I brush and finish drying with the HV. In some breeds, like goldens, Labs, Shelties, etc I'll put them in a cage with a fan blowing on them just to be sure they're 100% dry.

Comment

Originally posted by groomer1 View Post
            You can get it at Ren's Pets Depot- www.renspets.com

Comment

I towel dry the dog rally well, and then put the towels in the bottom of the tub to absorb the water I'm off, that way if the dog sits down, it doesn't get wet !

Comment

I do all the big dogs that way...air force in tub, towel, brush, put in cage to finish drying, then take back out later, spray with coat polish..brush out , tidy up..and get it out! lol sometimes I will have 5 goldens at once drying while I have all the little dogs going through their grooms...I use Sahara turbo dryers..nice air volume and no heating elements..can dry 3 dogs at once with them! I don't want to have to wash 20 towels a night myself..so I do it this way...works for me!

Comment

Oh yes, what baddog mentioned is really really helpful! If I put a towel underneath a dog, particularly the big dogs that I dry in the tub, it helps their FEET dry a LOT faster, as well as absorbs the spraying water rather than just blowing all of it back on a dog.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot something too. When I'm blowing with the HV, I hold a towel in my other hand and blow the spray into that. It keeps the spray from settling back on the dog. It really does reduce drying time a lot.

Comment

Add The Stuff, about 10ml to your shampoo, rather than spraying it on. It spreads it evenly throughout the entire coat and they dry very quickly with a beautiful coat texture. You dont need to also use conditioner this way and it wont weigh down poodle and bichon coats. Yes it does make the coats dry faster.

Linda in Australia

Comment

Working...
                      X