A cut the size of a quarter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cut the size of a quarter!

Today one of the dogs I groomed was a sheltie that got a #7F a/o. A little while after the owner picked the dog up she called back and told me she just found a cut on her dog the size of a quarter!

I about fainted...My first thought is: My career must be over, how can I send a dog home with a huge gash and not even realize it! I'm a horrible groomer and person in general! I told the woman I apologize and never saw any cut on the dog but please bring her in and the vet will take a look at it to see if it needs any medical treatment.

I finished my last couple of dogs a nervous wreck, and incidently ended up nicking one of them! It was a schnauzer and she shook her head right as I was shaving the ear, luckily I showed the vet who said it was no big deal and didn't need to be glued or stitched or anything.

So after I finished up I went to hunt down a vet tech to see if the sheltie's owner ever came in, the tech laughed at me for being so worried because the owner did come back and the dog didn't have a cut, it had a callus on the elbow which had been covered up by the hair.

The moral of the story is: Don't freak out until you know what the heck the owner is talking about!

ROFL I saw that coming, lol. I bet the owner felt like a heel, lol.

Poor Maggy! You try so hard, girl!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

OMGoodness !! That reminds me of the client that pulled a tick off of her dog, unfortunately for her dog that tick was the dogs NIPPLE!

Comment

Amazing how people are so quick to balme the groomer!!!!! I bet she never called to apologize!

Comment

i always found on days that I made a mistake, it would make me so upset that I would usually make another one too.

Once I nicked a pad and it upset me because the dog was a bleeder. it was bad, and then because I couldn't even hold my shears straight without shaking, I ended up nicking an ear. All within 2 hours time.

After that I just went home and gave the last bath dog to the owner to do. There was no way I wanted to make another mistake.

But I'm glad that your accident turned out to be nothing at all. It just sucks that you couldn't see the dog before getting upset. What a dummy pet owner to think that was a cut.. duh....

Comment

Thank heavens

Good, I didn't see it coming and was feeling so bad for you. Phew.

I had a guy call and say I must have injured the dogs Penis, it was really badly swollen and red. Well after a bit of inquiring, it turned out the dog previously had so much hair covering the man didn't know what the dog was like when he was, shall we say amorous. Too funny. I sure think of that sometimes.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
              Good, I didn't see it coming and was feeling so bad for you. Phew.

I had a guy call and say I must have injured the dogs Penis, it was really badly swollen and red. Well after a bit of inquiring, it turned out the dog previously had so much hair covering the man didn't know what the dog was like when he was, shall we say amorous. Too funny. I sure think of that sometimes.
              That is so funny. I had a similar situation one time. I was doing a little yorkie with a snap on comb, and, the comb popped off, so I ended up with a little ( about a half an inch) spot on the dogs back shaved with the #40. I was very apologetic when the owner picked up, but he was livid, and of course, management gave him a free groom.
              Well he was leaving, with the dog cradled in his arm, on its back, when he comes running up to me, yelling "AND WHAT IS THAT??!!!" Pointing to the little guys belly, where the tip of his penis was poking out from the sheath. I just looked at him and very calmly said,"That's his penis." The guy turns bright red and says, "I've never seen that before." and just leaves.
              What a "maroon".

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                i always found on days that I made a mistake, it would make me so upset that I would usually make another one too.

Once I nicked a pad and it upset me because the dog was a bleeder. it was bad, and then because I couldn't even hold my shears straight without shaking, I ended up nicking an ear. All within 2 hours time.

After that I just went home and gave the last bath dog to the owner to do. There was no way I wanted to make another mistake.

But I'm glad that your accident turned out to be nothing at all. It just sucks that you couldn't see the dog before getting upset. What a dummy pet owner to think that was a cut.. duh....
                I've had this happen too and oh my goodness what an idiot I've felt like and it get's you thinking, "maybe I suck at this". What the heck is wrong with me.

I'm sorry you had to feel that way all day, but glad it turned out good, hopefully she would apologize for her panic.

Comment

A few years ago I was shaving a sedated cat (at a vets) I start shaving and find a HUGE gash by his tummy. I freaked! But I hadnt even gotten to that area yet. Turns out the owners took scissors to him, when he freaked they mustve gotten him in the stomach.They brought him in for a sedation groom......He ended up having to be sutured. I about had a heart attack!

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                    OMGoodness !! That reminds me of the client that pulled a tick off of her dog, unfortunately for her dog that tick was the dogs NIPPLE!
                    Oh my gosh! Poor dog! Eek!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I have to admit, I have given skin tags pretty good yanks thinking they were ticks, I never pulled one off though.

Comment

I hate it when you find what you think is a tick but your not sure. Sometimes it just looks like a tick with the head buried in the skin but it's really a skin tag. I had one once that I was getting ready to take off, but realized it really was a skin tag. Yikes that would've hurt too. So that was a good lesson for me. I'll be making sure 100% that it's a tick if there's any question.

Comment

Working...
                        X