Client Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Issue

So I have butterfingers and accidentally posted a thread before finishing...maybe its out there somewhere, it so sorry.

I have a client later this afternoon whose dogs are always in bad shape even though I do them every 4 weeks. Last time I did her little Yorkie I told her he needed to go to the vet ASAP. He was hunched over and obvisiously in pain. Her other dog has horrible eyes, always pussy and infected. She claims to have a prescription from her vet that she is using but I never see any improvement. She always says she needs to get them in to the vet but is embarrassed to take them looking bad. Every time I say okay they look good, get them to the vet. Today she called and left a message to tell me the little Yorkie died three weeks ago and she was just heartbroken. I am so mad and I don't even know the whole story yet. I'm considering rasing her price until she goes away or at the very least refusing to do her other dog until she can prove to me she had taken him to the vet.

I guess I need you guys to tell me to chill out and how to diplomatically handle this. I have no doubt that she really is heartbroken about her dog but what does it take to get through to people? Anyone have any similiar experiences?

Maby she does have a prescription! You shouldnt be judging her .I have dogs here for grooming that have cronic eye infections even after treatment.and to raise her price to make her go away.or have proof of a vet treatment is not being very professional.She is being a responsible groomer to be going to u every 4 weeks .get over it and be a professional groomer.thank you

Comment

I had a similiar situation months ago..I posted about it on this board also looking for advice. The dog's eyes were incredibly pussy. I told her that I could not groom the dog until she saw a vet. I simply told her that I couldn't expose other animals to whatever her dog may have, not knowing what it was.

Don't you just feel terrible for that little dog, and the one that passed. Sometimes people just don't care if something is amiss.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Question

Do you know that she didn't take the yorkie to the vet? Maybe she did and whatever he had was untreatable? Or undiagnosed at the time of death, or treatment wasn't working. The dog with the icky eyes, well, you can ask her to have the vet write a note that it isn't contagious and ok to groom. That's fair. But the rest sounds pretty judgmental. Her dog is dead, she is heartbroken and you sound like you don't think she cares? Just tell her "I told you so". That might help you feel better.

Comment

I'm with you. I would ask to see the info from the vet before you continue. It is actually very professional. We are groomers for the health of dogs also, not only cosmetic reasons. Tell her that it's a requirement from the state or whatever to try to keep contagious infections to a minimum or something like that. Like the Chow mix I groomed the other day who's leg was full of dead tissue and should be amputated but the owner refused it. She may have a prescription from the vet, but she may not be using it. Or she's not using it like she's supposed to.

Or if you require shot records than you should have the vets name and call the vet yourself to see if she's getting her dogs in there..

FYI just because someone brings their dog in for grooming it doesn't mean that they take their dog to the vet. I know plenty of people like that. They want their dog to look good, but they don't care if it breaks a leg or what not. Some people seem to think that if a dog is pretty than it must be healthy.

One of my friends (whom I let into about this). Her cat was hit by a car, so she gave it a bath instead of taking it to the vet. I finally talked her into taking her cat to the humane society. It got treatment and a new home.

So please before anyone judges anyone or criticizes anyone please think about different kinds of people. Nobody is perfect and does what they are supposed to or what they should do.
          Becky

Comment

If you ever suspect a dog is sick you should refuse services until they take it to the vet.

1. you don't want to pass anything on to your own customers

and

2. you dont want it to die on YOU!

You dont have to be mean about it or anything just explain that you need to keep ALL the animals in your care including hers safe.

Having said that, there are dogs that just have those chronically gross eyes and it isnt contagious. Specially older dogs.

Comment

most awful mouth I have ever seen.....

A few weeks ago I had a schnauzer come in (reg. customer every 10 weeks or so). His teeth have always been a covered in plaque and bad breath, but, this last time I seen him it was so disgusting I seriusly gagged a couple times. I know he was in pain cause he kept avoiding letting me comb out his face/beard. I pulled his lips back to look at his teeth and was horrified. They were awful green, all of them, caked to the tips. Several of them were pussing and a couple oozing blood. (Not joking here.) I swear to you the front 'canines' I could litterally push on them and they would move. Like a childs loose tooth. someone else picked the dogs up. I stressed severly this dog was in need of a vets dental attention. I also left soft spoken message on they're answering machine at home that day. I never heard from her. I guess I will know when they come back in a couple months..........yuk.

Comment

The OP stated that the woman said "She always says she needs to get them in to the vet but is embarrassed to take them looking bad." If that's the case , she is not being judgmental. Also, as a "professional" groomer, I have the right to request a note from the vet on anything that I feel may be contagious, or be dangerous to groom for me, other dogs, or that particular dog. IMO it would be unprofessional not to do so. I would think that a shop, (or mobile) that would just "get over it and do the groomer when something medically could be going on that is detrimental to the dog is both uncaring to all the other animals in the shop.
                don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

No Show

When I got to the client's house today there was no-one there, despite her message saying that her husband would be there. I left my card and went home, kind of relieved. I will continue to do her other dog (if she agrees to a no show fee) and continue to try to get her to take it back in to the vet. I think its been a long time since he's been in and I know those eyes have got to be painful.

Groomer1 you are right I should not judge, she may have taken her Yorkie in immediately for all I know and maybe she does have a current prescription.

Comment

FuReal ---I probably would have passed judgement immediatley as you did, I mean her track record has not always been the best. I am sure though, that you will feel better, once you know the whole story.

Anytime a pet is lost, its sad....

Comment

I work at a vets office and I've come across people who won't get their dog treated. Just today I shaved a chow mix and the ears were swollen and flakey/crusty, very yucky looking. I called the owner and asked if she would like to get the ears checked by the Dr. and told her the price and she decided against it. I feel so bad for the poor dog, he was very sweet and gave kisses during the groom.

Comment

Originally posted by FurReal View Post
                        When I got to the client's house today there was no-one there, despite her message saying that her husband would be there. I left my card and went home, kind of relieved. I will continue to do her other dog (if she agrees to a no show fee) and continue to try to get her to take it back in to the vet. I think its been a long time since he's been in and I know those eyes have got to be painful.

Groomer1 you are right I should not judge, she may have taken her Yorkie in immediately for all I know and maybe she does have a current prescription.
                        Well, she might have a current prescription, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's working, or that she's using it.

I'd gently suggest that you need a note from the vet before you can groom the dog again, lest he have an infection that's contagious, or an allergy to something that you might make worse with the products you use.

Comment

Oh, it just makes me so angry when a client doesn't listen. I have just the example, and this just happened in the past week.

This client got her yorkie in another country, it is clearly mixed with something else, but he's a cute little bugger. He would pull his face away each time I tried to handle his muzzle. When a dog does that I immediately think to look at the teeth, which I did. ROTTEN.

I filled out a dental form that has pictures---you check the box next to the level of periodontal disease the dog appears to have, which also has the recommended treatment and length of time they should have the dental done. In this case it was stage IV & I told her he needs a dental ASAP. This paper also talks about the damage the body organs can take from the bacteria on the teeth. I talked to the Vet in our office who had given the dog a recent exam. He, too, told the owner the dog desperately needed a dental.

So when she came to pick up the dog, I mentioned the dog pulling his muzzle away and how that is often a sign that the dog's mouth is in pain. "Oh, no, he's always done that." Well enough, I can't argue that for sure, but one thing was for sure: THAT DOG'S TEETH WERE ROTTING!

Last week she brought him in because he was drinking, but wouldn't eat. Geem, maybe because it hurts. They did blood work and the dog has chronic renal failure. Yep, kidneys are kapoot. So when she came to pick him up after his groom last week, she said "We're just going to take him home and let him live out the course of his life there, not here at the hospital. We're 'naturalists.'"

FINE---so "naturalists" don't believe in taking care of teeth? Or what? I know I know, but to me she was using it as an excuse for "We think things happen for a reason," and deep down I think it's because they are too cheap!!!

I'm just venting now, but this poor dog can't eat because his mouth hurts and he doesn't feel good, and she just wants to take him home and let him die "naturally." There's nothing "natural" about a dog that has been bred and bred and bred to look a certain way, have hair a certain color, be a certain size, etc. There's nothing natural about OWNING an animal, having it live in a house...but they're 'naturalists' and want the dog to just die without any pain meds, nothing.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                          X