Scared To Be Creative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared To Be Creative

I've seen many pictures and been to grooming shows where they give the dogs all kinds of creative haircuts which I think is fantastic. Like turning yorkies into schnauzers, giving yorkies bellbottoms, mohawks, dyeing, and so forth. I would love to try this but I'm afaid to. I'm scared my customers won't like it and I'm sensitve about being criticized because I'm kind of new. I'm just getting comfortable with the standard clips and puppy trims and just can't cross that line. I need some moral support to make it happen because right now, I am stuck in my fear. I would like to take the plunge but can't seem to.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Hopfully I will not get into trouble for this one.
    What I do is offer My "laid back clients" a special "experiment price" to let me try different styles on their dogs.

Comment

I know how you feel. Best way to start getting creative is go to the humane society or a rescue and offer your services free. That way there is no one to get mad if you screw up.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Show them some pictures of different cuts

I was thinking, even for myself that maybe if you create a book of creative cuts that some customers might go for it. As long as they agree to it ahead of time. They might not like the way it looks on their dog and some might think it's great cause they got a "special look" no one else has and get all excited and tell others and create referals.

As much as it hurts to hear criticism you have to take it for what it's worth and sometimes consider the source. Sometime you know you've could've done better (even though you tried hard) and get embarassed and apologize and other times you gave it 200% and some people are never happy.

Go for it, every new experience increases your confidence to one degree or another.

I was wanting to show customer pictures of those Japanes grooms because I like a lot of those but the link disappeared and I don't know how to find it again.. If I find it I'll put it up here.

Comment

Originally posted by SuziJ View Post
          Hopfully I will not get into trouble for this one.
          What I do is offer My "laid back clients" a special "experiment price" to let me try different styles on their dogs.
          I don't see why you would "get into trouble". I think this is a great idea. Just give the owner an idea of what you are thinking of doing and make sure they realize it may not come out as planned....lol
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

So what do you do when your client gives you one of these funny requests?

If it's for the schnauzer cut on a yorkie, just pretend it's a tiny schnauzer and trim away. I have a silky that gets a schnauzer clip, I can't stand it but the owner loves it, lol. But it's the same as putting the pattern on a schnauzer.

When you are asked to do it, what choice do you have, other than to say, "Yes," or "No." Of course you'll say yes. This is where your creative juices begin flowing, the pressure is on, and you will do a good job, they're expecting it.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

The next time you get a shave down dog who's not too matted to brush out, practice a different, creative trim. Take pics, too. Then you can always shave it off. This is also a great way to get scissoring practice.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

You have to pick and choose your client carefully, but I usually try getting creative on the dogs who's owners don't know what they want, and the only instructions I can get out of them is "Just make him cute." So instead of falling back on the dreaded "Teddy Bear" trim, I get creative.

I do a lot of modified schnauzer or westie trims on Yorkies. The owners request something short and easy to care for. So that's what they get. Lots of mixed breeds end up with some sort of terrier trim. I do one little mix like a tiny Bouvier, one like a tiny SCWT. The owners don't specifically ask for it, they don't really have anything in mind. They just want it easy to care for and cute.

And just recently I had a little dog who I was told is a Papillon. Nope, she's not. I was stumped at first. There's no way to make her look like a Pap, although she has the ears. Last time she came in, they wanted her short, and a clean face. As soon as I clipped that face, it hit me. She's a Chinese Crested Powder Puff! So I clipped her to look like a hairless; clean face, short body, long mane, tail, and feet. My goodness, was she cute. And her owner was thrilled. It was basically what they'd asked for, but with a lot more style than just shaved down all over.

So when you get those requests for "Just make him cute and easy to keep up", let your imagination take over. See just what you can carve out of what you have to work with.

Comment

I have a few regulars clients that if I asked to try something different on their dog I'm sure would say "Go for it!" They trust me enough to know I wouldn't do something that would hurt their pet, and are up for just about anything. Maybe if you have one of these special clients you could ask them. It's only hair and it grows back!

I like the suggestion about going to the animal shelters and doing some of the grooms there for free. Good way to get some creative juices flowing.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I have a few yorkies that come in for a "westie" trim. I think it looks kind of cute, to be honest.

I have both a Chow and a Brussels that get the lion cut. A Springer and a Labradoodle that get mohawks. That's about as creative as I've gotten so far.

Comment

[QUOTE=DAPER DAWG;30043]I was thinking, even for myself that maybe if you create a book of creative cuts that some customers might go for it. As long as they agree to it ahead of time. They might not like the way it looks on their dog and some might think it's great cause they got a "special look" no one else has and get all excited and tell others and create referals.

Everyone is so constructive. I love you guys! <<HUG>> Showing pictures sounds like a good idea. I could print them out from online to show some of the customers who might be willing to have some fun with Fido. And you're all right- it's only hair! I feel like I'm working up to it.......thanx!
                      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                      X