Vets giving grooming advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vets giving grooming advice

We've had a couple of clients request that their puppies be completely shaved b/c their vet told them that it would make the 'adult hair' come in. Two of the breeds recommended for this were the poodle and schnauzer. We talked the poodle owner out of shaving her dog but not the schnauzer. The schnauzer was white and I've seen maybe one white one that had decent hair anyway, but is anyone else getting requests like this? Am I wrong in thinking that shaving softens the coat or did I miss that memo?

I know that for a schnauzer that clipping it's hair will change the color and texture. I HAVE heard a number of people on this website suggest shaving down a Bichon for this reason, however I am hesitant to try it, lol.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I had a lady with show poodles tell me she 15'd her dogs to get te hair to grow in thicker, i'm still not convinced.

Comment

Yep Baddog, that's what I've been told (on the boards), and I just can't do it...

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

With poodles, when you cut the puppy hair it changes the texture of the hair so that its not the fluffy fly-away hair afterwards.

I groomed a 4 mo. old min. schnauzer about a month ago (first hair cut). I used an 8-1/2 blade on his body rather than the 10 blade I use on most schnauzers. He came out real cute. He's scheduled to be groomed later in April. I'll see then if the texture of his coat changed.

I had a yorkie puppy that kept matting -- mats came out easy enough on the puppy coat -- but I clipped her down because the owner wasn't keeping her brushed out. Her coat has grown out some in the last 2 grooms but hasn't been matted so I'm thinking the clipping changed the coat texture so that it is not matting these days. The owners like her fluffy.

Comment

I have clipped down young dogs (not young puppies) like Poodles, Bishons, Shih-tzu's and had nicer coats come back in. Usually the reason we clip them down is because of matting, or the owner is just tired of the flyaway coat. It doesn't always work, but I have seen nice results. Some dogs, like some people (lol) just don't have nice hair. Now, as far as doing this on Schnauzers or other harsh coat??????????
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

But when you cut off the puppy fluff wouldn't the next growth be the better textured coat coming in anyway as opposed to the clipping that "changed" the coat? What you've actually done is to get rid of the icky coat faster. Assuming that the dog is going to develope a good coat at all.

Lisa

Comment

If nothing else, clipping them down when they're going through their coat change removes all the puppy coat permenantly. It's gone, gone, gone. What grows back is adult coat, with adult coat texture. And if you clip off all the soft puppy coat, it's not there to cause strange divots in the coat, making top knots fall over, and all the other problems puppy coat can be responsible for.

Comment

Yes, Bichon babies will actually have a better coat, faster, if you take them down closer, say a # 3,2,1 snap on combs. Also, comb the hair on the ears UP and shape into the round head, not much there, but it will help the better coat and the shape allows for the hair to fluff, instead of just hanging with the weight. Same for Poodle babies, but leave the ears long, lol.

For breeds that should be hand stripped , like terrier bablies, I'd card the coat, then take off the length (for a pet) with clippers, but the carding would help maintain the harsh coat once it starts to grow in. Unfortunatly most pet owners won't let a terrier baby get long enough to card correctly before they want it clipper off.

Comment

I have heard this too but never have suggested it to a customer. I could see it getting rid of all the puppy fuzz. I did have a Asian lady come up to me while we were out eating one day tell me that I should shave my childs head to make it come in thicker (it is thin). She said in her culture they do this and the hair comes in thicker. I always wondered if it were true but I am not going to try it.

Comment

Shaving doesn't make the hair come in thicker it just shortens the puppy coat. Adult hair has already started to come in you just can't see it to much because it is shorter. At about 10 months old poodles loose their puppy coat and adult coat takes it's place it is critical to keep the poodle brushed during this coat change because it will mat badly in what seems like over night. As for human head shaving I have heard this but wouldn't want my child to be the guinea pig -thin hair looks better than no hair IMO. Ya'll are too much fun.

Comment

It can take up to 2 years for most coats to mature. If any puppy isn't going thru the coat change state then puppy hair will grow back in. I've shaved plenty of puppies because other people telling them this and then they come back and complain because they still have the puppy coat. It might work in some cases, but not all. I always try to talk people out of it.
                        Becky

Comment

Working...
                        X