"Are you good?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Are you good?"

This simple question was posed to me today by a potential new client. For some reason, it took me by surprise and I had to think about my response.

So, in that split second, I'm contemplating how grooming styles are subjective and what one client likes on a pet quality schnauzer may be horrendous and appalling to another. Then I'm considering how much time and effort that I put into the quality of my business and the finished product. After that, I pondered how highly referred and incredibly booked I am, and how much I love my dogs and their people.

But instead of all that, I merely answered with a smile "Yes, I believe that I am."

Whether or not I ever groom his dog, I'm certainly grateful that he asked that question. It was simple, yet empowering. (Please forgive my musings, I'm waxing philosophical today!)

If asked this question, how would you have answered?

Jodie

back when i worked in a shop, a couple comes in on a very busy day and asks me if i have any references. i told them i have 4 ( now 6 ) of my own dogs, who would gladly give me a reference. 7 years later and now on my own i am still doing their dog.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

It's funny you would bring this up.

We had a Scottie booked today for a VERY persnickty client. We rarely do her dogs, but she recently had surgery and can't do it herself.

She had talked to the "boss" about this and the boss asked me if I wanted it. YES, I would love to do it.

Well, she came in this am and proclaimed (after many minutes of instructions) that she only wanted my boss to do her dog. I explained to her that I was more than capable of doing her dog, but she just huffed and said she wanted "her" to do it.

In my heart, I knew I could do it, but this really got me thinking about my abilities.
      My boss called her and told her that "Renee is very good at what she does and will do a great job, probably better than what I could do" She also told her that this is how it was going to be or she could come and pick up her dog. Well, the client agreed to me doing the dog, and every thing turned out great, but I totally get what you are saying.

Doing "Katie" was a big boost for me and while I knew I could do a good job, there was that nagging little voice telling me to "put up or shut up"
      It was also a wonderful thing to hear my boss brag and speak so highly of me to a client that is known as being a PITA. Her reputation is on the line and I didn't want to let her down.

If I was asked this question, hmmmmm, I guess I could say "Yes, I believe I am" , but there's that nagging voice again! Just glad that the clients don't hear it, lol.

Comment

It does make you think, doesn't it?

I'm trying to imagine how I might answer this question if it had been posed to me. The only thing that came to mind is this:

"If you feel that someone who spends a lot of time researching grooming, who is constantly reading about grooming, attending seminars when they are available, who uses her tips to upgrade her equipment and/or to attend seminars, who asks a lot of questions about grooming is good at grooming, then YES, I am good."

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I might have said something stupid like...."Depends on what day it is."
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

I think your answer was perfect. If put on the spot like that, I think I would have answered about how experienced I am, education, qualifications, etc. Probably in a rambling manner!

The thing about these questions - would you really say "Well in fact, I'm a terrible groomer! This is my first day!"
            We had a new client ask us "You're going to be nice to the dogs, aren't you?" Again, as if I would say anything other than "YES", even if I weren't nice?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
              I might have said something stupid like...."Depends on what day it is."
              ROFL, I really did laugh out loud on that one. Pixie, I've seen your work, and you always stay patient, I can tell them, you are good.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Depends on the Day for me too!

I'm with you Pixie!LOL If someone asked me that on the Monday after APF I would have said "NO, I am not worthy to pick up a pair of scissors!" But a week later, Yeah, I'm good! Now I must say that I do pets. I don't have any customers that want a Continental, or a Dutch on their little Poodles. I am allowed to let the Bichons have 1" in the winter but they are already going shorter for the Florida Springtime.
                I love getting the mixed breeds looking their best with what the gene pool has made of them.
                But then please don't ask me that after a MultiPoo. Half of the ones I do make me happy and the other half make me want to fly off to the next Conference.

Comment

Or how about this response:

"No, not really. Is it important?"

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I have told people that when they really, truly love their dog it is always beautiful despite anything that a groomer does or doesn't do! My first grooming instructor told me that when there is absolutely NO pleasing a client it is because they really don't like their dog -- I believe this! After all, I now own a pug and she is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen in my entire life! LOL How good am I? If you love your dog, it will be PERFECTLY beautiful when I am done!

Comment

Being asked if "im Good" is easy enough.. I know Im not expirenced enough to groom a dog into the Eukanuba Show winners stand, but I can get pretty close..

But ask me if i'm going to be kind to their dog?!?! I cant help but to take offence to that kind of question.. I dont show it or get mad, but to me, that's offencive.

Your dogs safety and comfort are my #1 priority.. If he's a wiggling lil ball of teeth and spit, i'll send him home choppy and lobsided befor i get rough and mean just to finish the job and I tell people that.. I will do the best I can with every dog that's dragged into my shop.. but I will NOT mis-treat their dog just to make it look good and get paid..

Comment

Originally posted by MindysMuddyPaws View Post
                        Being asked if "im Good" is easy enough.. I know Im not expirenced enough to groom a dog into the Eukanuba Show winners stand, but I can get pretty close..

But ask me if i'm going to be kind to their dog?!?! I cant help but to take offence to that kind of question.. I dont show it or get mad, but to me, that's offencive.

Your dogs safety and comfort are my #1 priority.. If he's a wiggling lil ball of teeth and spit, i'll send him home choppy and lobsided befor i get rough and mean just to finish the job and I tell people that.. I will do the best I can with every dog that's dragged into my shop.. but I will NOT mis-treat their dog just to make it look good and get paid..
                        I'm with you 100% on that one. At grooming school and both places I worked they were into getting in perfect no matter how much it was stressing the dog out just to make the customer happy.

Needless to say this will not be my philosophy you will get a this is all I can do with cujo or nervous nellies haircut before it pees and poops and screams. If it makes them mad then they can take it to someone who doesn't care either way

I had only a few that despite even watching how hard it was or how much their little baby was trying to eat the scissors would be going can't you just get some more off around thier eyes? Response "Sure if you don't want to take them home with both eyes or no tongue."

Comment

valid question from a new client

You know this is actually a very valid question, what with all the hype of last year and this with the media touting the "bad" of grooming shops and salons. The media has actually done more to generate fear, rather then to educate clients.

So, the question remains...Are you good? well, who is to say? Stating an opinion is just that...someone's opinion. When I had my shop, we eliminated this problem by having lots and I mean walls of photos of client dogs. the photos did all the talking. Now that I am mobile, I use my web site for the same thing. I have lots of photos on the web site. I have a page following one dog through is Bubble Day, (his owners were thrilled to have him such a "star"). This is what happens behind closed doors, so to speak...

So if someone asks if I'm good, I send them to my web site, and the photos, let them make that decision...

Comment

"If you feel that someone who spends a lot of time researching grooming, who is constantly reading about grooming, attending seminars when they are available, who uses her tips to upgrade her equipment and/or to attend seminars, who asks a lot of questions about grooming is good at grooming, then YES, I am good."

Perfectly said Spikey although I would like to add one thing- lots of TLC included! It's more then just a job for many of us, it's a "calling".
                            www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                            http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I had a client with a Mini black Poodle, she wanted a 1" all over "sporty groom" No clean feet and no clean face . At the end of the groom she complained My dog looks like a poodle!
                              I guess I was not good enough that day!

I groom out of clients houses so they are right there for me to ask questions directly on how they want their dog styled . And bad is.... I am too honest! If I Myself am not happy with a groom I do on their dog I give a bit of money off or throw in a free mid month toenail trim or bath.

Comment

Working...
                              X