Labradoodle puppy,, it's funny...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labradoodle puppy,, it's funny...

Yesterday I groomed my shave down Lab. The lady always wants him a different length. I'll do a #7 or a #0 or a #1 1\2 reverse, yesterday I did a #2 reverse. Well she started to ask me when to bring her new puppy in for grooming. She's 14 weeks. I told her puppies should be started at 8 weeks but the law in area states that no dog can go to a groomers, day care or boarding until they have their rabies shot. So groomers in my area get to do our new puppies at 4 months. Then she asked me how much it would be. I told her I don't know, my boss does the pricing. Then she said, well I asked a groomer at (salon name here) and they would do a puppy for $20. So she asked me again how much it would be. Again I told her I don't know, I don't make the prices. Then she said that hopefully my boss would do competitive pricing and that it wouldn't cost as much as she would be full grown. I told her it wouldn't be, she said, "good because I don't see paying $XX for a puppy. That's how much Caper (the Lab) is and a Labradoodle is twice that amount for grooming.

Well a little about this lady. I've talked about her on here before. She's loaded. D&G sunglasses a suede and real fur jacket, ever year she has a new car. The list goes on. Her dad pays for most everything she has. She wrote a check yesterday for the Labs grooming and asked us to hold it till Tuesday because she just had to pay a really big bill. Can you say, the breeder. Her dad pays all over her bills. Makes all of her car payments etc. She blows her money on clothes. I wish I could do that.

Anyway when my boss got there I told him about it and he just laughed. He said, "we don't do any dog for $20". Then he asked me if she told that other salon how old the dog was and how big she was or did the other salon think it's an 8 week old puppy. I didn't know. My boss and I both had a good laugh. She spends a lot of money to buy this puppy and then doesn't want to pay to have it groomed. Boy will she be upset when she finds out that this puppy has to be shaved every single time like her Lab. Of course she has the poodle hair and she likes it long and curly. However this lady will not brush her dog, it takes to much time out of her day to do it. That's why she has her Lab shaved... LOL
    Becky

Here we go again, people cheaping out on the grooming. I am so sick and tired of this I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!! Those doodles costs big bucks, are a ton of work and the owners don't pick up a brush. I do a bunch of these and I have my owners trained. Bring them in every 6 weeks and keep them short or find somebody else. Oh yeah...and this is what is costs $$$$. Maybe next time these people should buy a greyhound! Tell your boss to charge double for the puppy. They take twice as long to groom. LOL
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
      Here we go again, people cheaping out on the grooming. I am so sick and tired of this I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!! Those doodles costs big bucks, are a ton of work and the owners don't pick up a brush. I do a bunch of these and I have my owners trained. Bring them in every 6 weeks and keep them short or find somebody else. Oh yeah...and this is what is costs $$$$. Maybe next time these people should buy a greyhound! Tell your boss to charge double for the puppy. They take twice as long to groom. LOL
      You're so right about the puppy price. If we do a full groom than we charge the same for a puppy that we would for an adult because even though they are smaller it usually takes as much time, if not more, and they are generally a little more difficult!
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Just got a little exasperated! Maybe I'm gettin' old!
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
          You're so right about the puppy price. If we do a full groom than we charge the same for a puppy that we would for an adult because even though they are smaller it usually takes as much time, if not more, and they are generally a little more difficult!
          I totally agree. We used to offer a "puppy price" and I won't do it anymore. Puppies take twice as long, they're twice as hard to do, bigger liability, and then the owners get all upset when you finally raise their 'puppy price'. So from now on, puppies are the same price as adults.

I did see a sign at Pet-- the other day though, $14.99 for a full puppy groom. Those poor groomers!!

Comment

I completely agree with you guys. Same price if not more for puppies vs adults. I can't stand to groom puppies because they are so difficult. Also not being able to groom them until 4 months old. It will be completely matted by the time I get to do it anyway.

When I worked with my boss that taught me to groom she wasn't taking in any new Cockers, Wheatons or puppies. But the daughter of one really really really good client got a Wheaton puppy so she made an adjustment for her. It was a really calm Wheaton, and a puppy on top of it all. She had her puppy in every 4 weeks.
            Becky

Comment

I hate doing puppies...they are so wiggly and cute and wiggly!

I take my time with puppies, to me it is a training and learning process so they won't be scared and learn how to behave, but it can be frustrating!!!

I don't give a discount for puppies. Same price as a full groom, because they are so much work to help them understand to stand and be still! lol

Comment

Ditto Chicken, my sentiments exactly!

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I agree with everyone about same price for puppies and adult dogs. However, I don't believe that getting mats out on a 4 month old puppy would be that difficult given that is "puppy coat." On the other hand that dog will be a groomer's nightmare when it goes through coat change.

Comment

Working...
                  X