Commissioned overtime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioned overtime?

So I've been debating on how to handle overtime. I don't want to offer it, especially since I'm only hiring PT employees right now. Plus since our job is seasonal in nature, I wouldn't want to agree to something I'll be sorry for come the holidays. I am available for appts 6 days a week, though like to only work 5 so my one day off (besides Sun) changes. With a bather, should I let them do the same: pick their day a week or two before; or do I say they work Tue-Sat? Also, if they want to come in the extra day, do I just pay regularly, or maybe offer commission for some extra incentive to come in. This way they're getting more money, I'm getting extra help without hiring a whole new person, and I don't have to worry about overtime the other 5 days. I'd still do a relatively low commission, like 20-30% for bb dogs.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Really good question. Do you have a CPA? If you do ask them how you should do it. Otherwise, I normally book everyone 4-5 days max, and track hours!! If you are busy enough for a four to five day employee to run over, they probably really deserve the one-two hours! I also make it very clear that were are not rich, and please watch overtime!

Comment

Erin,

I don't think that you can legally pay that way, but I'm not sure. For instance, if they are hired as hourly employees, you can't switch them to commissioned employee for hours over 40 (or your states limit for regular time).
      Also, I would not give the employee the option of the day off. That would tie you down to much and limit your flexibility. Once you start something like that, it's hard to change it. Write your schedule the wed or thurs. the week prior according to your work load.
      You might also want to consider, splitting your work week so your two busiest days are in separte weeks (ie: fri is the end of work week 1/sat is the beginning of work week 2) or something similar. This will help splitting up the hours in one week. My boss pays Friday - Thursday. This way, she can give "off" days during our slower days of the week. We are open 7 days a week (in some form) because we do boarding, but are only grooming 5, so our part-time person can come in some days and take care of things at a lower pay rate.

Comment

So if I hire PT, do I even have to offer overtime? Or is only over 40 hrs overtime? Right now I'm saying I'll need them 20-30 hrs a wk. so I should be safe? Anything over that is just their bonus of getting paid extra?
        Erin
        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I don't know if it is different in your state but in California overtime is anything over 40 hours worked in any 7 day period. So if you pay hourly and your employee works more than 40 hours that week you have no a choice but to pay them time and a half for any hours they worked over 40. So if you are looking for a 20 or 30 hour per week bather and they occasionally work a few more its not overtime until after 40 hours. This is not an issue if you just pay commission. There is no such thing as commission overtime as its not tracked in hours. I'm sure you could search the internet for overtime rules for your state.

Comment

You'll need to check your state laws, it may have changed, but even as few as a couple of years ago there were still some states that figured overtime daily instead of weekly. i.e. Anything over XX hours a day is paid overtime. I think most have gone to the weekly thing, but still good to check.

Honestly, if you're hiring part time, I wouldn't even address overtime except to say something like, "Overtime is not allowed unless approved by the owner/manager. Approved overtime is paid at 1.5 times normal hourly pay rate."

Comment

Overtime in Connecticut is anything above and beyond 40 hours in a work week. So being as only wanting someone for 20-30 hours they shouldn't make it over 40 within a week.

Comment

also...if you would maybe consider doing the schedule like this? not sure if it would work for a groomer...but this is what they did at the vets office i worked at doing the kennel. they would post the calander in the kitchen area. everyone at night (5 people) and the day people (3 or 4 i think?) would right down what days they are willing to work. they did this for the morning people and then for the night people. basically the employee's write down what days THEY are avalible to work...but if there is only one person on for a night they just pick anybody and stick them in that slot. the supervisors APPROVE the schedule and make any changes neccessary. so basically if i picked i only wanted to work say...mon,tues,weds,thurs. for the whole month i could look at it again and see one week says...mon,tues,weds,sat. then tues,weds,thurs,fri. then mon,weds,fri,sat etc. it wouldnt always be what i wrote down. they can totally switch it around. but you can also ask them this...would they prefer to work set days in a row? ie mon-thurs. or would they like to be scheduled how YOU schedule them? so say...you schedule them mon,tues,weds,fri. and fri you have a busy day and you schedule your other bather (if you have more than one) on thursday sat sun. (if you are open 7 days a week with other groomers). personally when i go in for an interview or an application..i let the person know that i can only work 2 to 3 weekends a month due to previous commitments that i have monthly. this works out for me and the person hiring me so they know beforehand and can work it out with other employees. first groomer i worked for i worked tues weds and thurs. 3 days a week. i made a decent chunk of change in those 3 days too. the other bather worked friday and saturdays. sun and mon they were closed. it worked out great for both of us as it gave ME a 4 day weekend to go do my weekend commitments.
                also...if your paying hourly and they are only part time..then there is no need to pay them overtime hours. or like someone else said...overtime needs to be approved first.
                JMHO
                Hound

Comment

Regardless of comission or hourly anything over 40 hours is over-time unless salaried. If with commission you have to guarantee an hourly amount and that is what over-time will be based on. If it is either commission or hourly (whichever is greater) it has to be atleast minimum wage.

Since, you are asking this question I am assuming she will not be independent.

They can work an extra day as long as 6 days together equal up to 40 hours.

Comment

Contact your state labor board. They can answer all your questions regarding overtime, minimum wage requirements, and any other labor related questions that are pertinent to your state.

Comment

Working...
                    X