The Sweetest Man, breaks my heart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sweetest Man, breaks my heart!

I have a problem when it comes to the elderly clients. I LOVE 99% of them. I have a VERY sweet 81 year old man who comes in w/ his elderly poodle (also sweet but VERY fat!). It was his wifes dog before she passed away.
    So it's just him and Lucy the poodle. He has no family.

He came in today for his appt. and asked me if I would board her w/ me while he has a pacemaker put it. He was telling me how they want him to sell his house and go to a group home. (his docs). He said he has no family and doesnt want to move out of the home him & his wife shared together. It just broke my heart. I assume he will have the dog put down since she is so old anyway. This man is just such a pleasure to have come in, why do I feel so horrible after watching him leave today? ...... He always has a smile on his face and such a sense of humor... I will miss him if he goes And Lucy too!

That is very hard. Don't you just wish you had all the resources in the world to help people out? That poor little poodle, too.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Oh, that's so sad! I have an elderly gentleman who comes in with his deceased wife's toy poo as well. He gets her cut so short so he doesn't have to come as often, but she's groomed regularly, and you can tell he really loves her. I think it's their link to their spouse after they're gone. I can't imagine being in your position...so hard! Short from moving in with the guy though, there's nothing you can do...well, maybe take the dog if he does have to move, and then giving him visitation rights? That's a lot to take on for you though. Maybe you can find the dog a home that would be willing to take this on. Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you.
      Erin
      No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

That is so sad. This guy would probably do anything for his pet even with limited mobility and resources. Then you have the people with abundant resources that don't do anything for their pets. Doesn't make much sense. I feel the same way you do. I am a softy for the senior population. I hope somehow this works out for him.

Comment

Terribly sad!! Maybe he can find an assisted living which takes pets?

Comment

making me cry....

Comment

I have a client like that also. Hes in his 80's, widower, no kids no family. Last Christmas I invited him to spend the holiday with me and my whole family to exchange gifts. It was really nice having him here and he enjoyed it so much. We had a huge get together,presents galore big dinner. He said he had never had such a nice Christmas and almost cried thanking me for having him. It really made me think of the true meaning of Christmas. Hes still a client and Im still looking after him! I love him like a grandpa

Comment

oh how sad! we will all be old someday as well.

Comment

I can't see very well, tears are in my eyes and the words are blurry. How sad for this man to be all alone, no family, no friends. I hope he doesn't sale his house. Even if he dies in his house it is something that means a lot to him. All the memories he has there with his wife.
                  I have special clients like him also. We treat them kindly in hopes that somewhere someone is treating our parents with love and respect if they are still living.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I know.......Im still thinking about him today. I am not going to even charge him for boarding the poodle. He is on a fixed income and I know he cant really afford it. She will stay w/ us at our home while he is in the hospital. So sad. I have SUCH a soft spot for the elderly, I always have. Its good that so many of us have such big hearts!

Where I used to work, one of my most loyal clients was an elderly German lady. Well as the years went by so did her mind. She developed Alzeihmers (sp). I would go check on her. Drive 15 min. out of my way to do pick up & delivery..... finally she was sent to a retirement home close to my house. The staff there was amazed I was just her groomer! lol. I had groomed for her for 6 years by this point & felt like one of her grandkids. I was a little over protective of my favorite lady! Her sons were about an hour away and had families of their own, they couldnt thank me enough. I know she is far gone now...mentally. Before I moved here I arranged for the home to hire a mobile groomer for her schnauzer but she didnt understand why I wasnt going to groom her anymore. It was so sad....

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                      I have a client like that also. Hes in his 80's, widower, no kids no family. Last Christmas I invited him to spend the holiday with me and my whole family to exchange gifts. It was really nice having him here and he enjoyed it so much. We had a huge get together,presents galore big dinner. He said he had never had such a nice Christmas and almost cried thanking me for having him. It really made me think of the true meaning of Christmas. Hes still a client and Im still looking after him! I love him like a grandpa
                      That is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time!
                      Erin
                      No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Reading all the posts, it makes me realize why I'm on here. This is one great group of people. Keep doing what you're doing. You're all making the world a better place just for being here.

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                          That is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time!
                          I agree! What a wonderful thing to do!
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

That is so sad; it's too bad there aren't more resources available so the elderly can continue living in their own homes with the pets they love. I groom a Brittany for an older man with a bad heart; when he comes in he needs to sit for awhile because everything wears him out. But when he sees his dog after her groom he lights right up; he gushes over her, he loves her so much. I can't imagine him giving up his dog; she brings him probably the only joy he's got left in his life. It breaks my heart any time I hear an elderly client talk about having to give up a pet. Seems so wrong.

Comment

we should try to help

Give a little bit
                              Give a little of your time to me.....
                              There's so much that we need to share
                              So send a smile & show you care,
                              by Supertramp

One of my biggest fears is one day I will be old & have to live without a dog.

Many more places will allow dogs than you might think.
                              Lend a hand. Offer to help. Educate those who will learn.
                              Don't give up.

Thanks!!!
                              Erica

Comment

Working...
                              X