Sales Tax on Grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Tax on Grooming?

Do those who lease their own business have to register to charge State sales taxes for grooming services?

Yes. As a matter of a fact, I just got done writing out my late check for last quarters sales tax.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

there is no sales tax on grooming in the state of ct. whether you lease or not has no bearing on collecting sales tax, if it is due.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

one more thing. you still have to register and file quarterly, or yearly if you qualify, even if the amount owed is 0.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

it depends on you state
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

No sales tax on grooming here in Ohio yet. I do sell a teeny tiny bit of retail. I do collect and pay sales tax on that.

Comment

WV does

We have to in West Virginia. I pay ours monthly. The beauty salons and barber shops don't have to though. I'm not sure why we do if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerfan View Post
                We have to in West Virginia. I pay ours monthly. The beauty salons and barber shops don't have to though. I'm not sure why we do if they don't.
                That just stinks. Could it be that the "tax collectors" think that grooming is a luxury and your own haircut a necessity? Hmmph!!!

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerfan View Post
                  There is no sales tax on grooming here either, neither is there for barbers and hair stylists. Wonder why its like that where you're at? strange

Comment

No sales tax on grooming in CT. They just get you on everything else. Like property tax!! I'm about to go into the poor house...hopefully it has cheaper property tax than the house I'm in now!!! $$$$
                    Erin
                    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

O guess since Texas does not have a state income tax, they tax everything else that they can. We pay taxes for just about any "service" along with product purchases. So, yes, I collect and pay sales tax on my grooming services. Worse yet, being mobile, I have to keep track of the tax rate for each little town I work in as I have to collect the tax for "that" city when I am doing business there. Then file long form to turn in my sales taxes so each city gets their cut.
                      What a pain.

Comment

7% in NJ and it sucks

I think that says it all

Comment

Is there sales tax on grooming in PA?

Comment

I sincerely thought I was the only one dividing my sales tax to a dozen suburbs every month! I don't know that its any comfort to know I'm not alone though... its still a serious PITA.

Comment

As far as I know there are only 2-3 states that don't charge sales tax. OH and CT are two I know off the top of my head. There may be a third.
                              In NY you have to apply to collect sales tax. I was able to do it online and had my permit within 2 weeks to post. I also had to get an EIN to get the permit, but that I did online too. Being mobile I have to collect sales tax depending on the rate of the customers area. Where I live it's 8%, most of my customers live where it is 7% but I'm always having to look it up. Then I have to report sales tax from multiple areas and fill all that out. Just got my first form to submit actually. Miss grooming in OH, no tax to deal with!
                              Oh and beauticians/barbers don't charge tax in NY either.
                              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                              X