Groomers Raise Your Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomers Raise Your Prices

In the last few weeks I have come across a few people who have taken their dogs in the past to groomers who groom in their own house (basement or garage). I have asked if they don't mind telling me what they paid because I was curious. One woman said, "I am embarassed to tell you". That's how cheap the price was. I feel bad for some of these groomers because they are not charging enough. We all know what a tough job it is and I want these other groomers to earn what they should be making. Maybe they feel they should charge less because they don't have a big overhead with a shop or mobile bills. I would like to see these groomers in my area raise their prices. They are worth it. Am I crazy for feeling this way?
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

I'm one of those groomers who works out of my garage and I don't charge a lot, enough to make me happy (most of the time) lol

My thoughts are this: if I worked in a shop for commission (which I have done) I make less then I do at home for a lesser price. I'm not splitting my commission with the shop. At a groom shop I would still have to have my blades sharpened and pay for them. My house payment is already being paid so I don't have any rent to come up with. Yes I do have to buy shampoo and other things but I'm still coming out ahead.

My prices are not cheap cheap cheap, but they are lower than most of the shops around here. I'm not overly busy but busy enough.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

There are two small shops in our town that have always had prices much lower than the going rate. Undercutting everyone else is just as distructive as price gouging especially since prices are low here anyway. A few dollars under the norm isn't bad but when they have prices 1/4 less or more everyone suffers! I am preparing to raise prices and have been doing a market analysis so that I can set prices on the higher end of the local price range. I think groomers should check what's going on in their area and set prices accordingly taking into consideration their own skills, experience, and demand for their services.

Comment

I just had a price raise March 1st. It was only $3.00. What is the highest you would raise them? I thought I would do another one in January, at least on the ones that I don't think are still up to what they should be.
        How would you go about re-evaluating your prices and getting them up to what they should be without upsetting everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
          I'm one of those groomers who works out of my garage and I don't charge a lot, enough to make me happy (most of the time) lol

My thoughts are this: if I worked in a shop for commission (which I have done) I make less then I do at home for a lesser price. I'm not splitting my commission with the shop. At a groom shop I would still have to have my blades sharpened and pay for them. My house payment is already being paid so I don't have any rent to come up with. Yes I do have to buy shampoo and other things but I'm still coming out ahead.

My prices are not cheap cheap cheap, but they are lower than most of the shops around here. I'm not overly busy but busy enough.

I have often wondered , do home groomers pay taxes?? Are you just pocketing all the money? As a business I have to pay sales tax(yup!), state/fed, self employment tax, ect.Do you garage/basement groomers do the same?? If not you make it hard on the legitimate businesses.

Comment

raising prices

I worked out of my garage at one time , I charged comparable to the P's in the area only because I groomed fewer dogs and the dogs were ready in 1/2 the time if they took them to a salon. I wasn't terribly busy but busy enough.
            If I were to do it again I would still charge the same if not morer you offer a more one on one with the dog and the client,
            less hectic atmosphere for the dog. Market your service in that sense and they won't Question the price as long as the quality is there.

"Groomers don't grow on trees, they are created through their passion for dogs, and the desire to work their tails off only for the small gratfication of their client licking their ear!"

Comment

My shop is an addition to our house we built for the shop and yes it is the same as having a store front down town. I pay everything they do. I am sure there are some people that do pocket money working from home but I am sure there are also people that do it that are mobile or that have a store front.

Comment

Your Price for YOUR business

I just had dinner with my SCORE mentor. He gently metioned that we need to get together to do a re-evaluation of my business and my business plan. EEUUCCKK!! I hate doing this more than taxes.
                Guess what? MY prices are based on what it takes to run my business and pay my salary. It does not have to do with what other groomers are charging in my area. I told him I am feeling full and need to think about offering a wait-list. He said "You need to raise your prices." He has never run a grooming business. He was an international acquisitions negotiator before he retired. LOL
                It is hard for me to focus on the "business" of grooming. Those of your who think that you have no overhead grooming in your laundry rooms and basements need to consider whether or not you are properly insured and if you have the funds set aside for the sorry accidents that we pray will never happen to the dogs while in our care or our customers while on our property. I have a feeling that that is where the grooming fees are being set so low. I just think that some of you are underinsured or not paying taxes and just riding along doing what you love and hoping that the worst will never be something that you will have to deal with.
                All I can say is I don't compete with prices. I am not competitive anyway. My competitive edge is professionalism and service. I charge what I need to charge in order to give professional service at the highest level that I know of at this time. My clients pay more for this because they appreciate what I offer.

Comment

clarify

I dont know how this has come up. I am confused as to how you know people are charging less if everyone charges differently. Are these groomers taking size and condition of pet into consideration? Are these groomers charging by breed or hour? Do they charge more for difficult dogs? I know that groomers charge different ways. I agree with the comment about store fronts and mobiles also being capable of not reporting income. I dont think your place of business means you do or do not report income. People at all walks of life cheat or dont cheat Uncle Sam.

Comment

groomers raise your prices

In home groomers, ones who charge low prices, also keep the average price of grooming down, hurting the industry, and others. We in shops have to pay taxes, and get a comm. The other commit about setting aside moneys for insurances, and accidents is also correct. If you let customers be cheap, they will.

astrordog

Comment

Being a Professional Groomer is more than knowing how to groom and doing it for money. It is: Running a professional business, it is displaying a professional appearance, it is treating your own business in a professional manner and so much more.

Paying Uncle Sam has nothing to do with your location it has to do with the LAW.

Until we have the majority of grooming salons paying workman's comp, following the IRS guidelines for Independent Contractors -vs- employees, outdated grooming products that are now hazardous removed, only safe animal designed products being used, proper liability insurance, all taxes being done and accurate reporting we will always have HUGE price differences.

As a business owner, I can tell you it is NEXT to impossible to have Legal Independents and providing all of the above with employees, I can't undercut, I have to charge more and so will you.

Comment

Originally posted by MommyEtch View Post
                        I dont know how this has come up. I am confused as to how you know people are charging less if everyone charges differently. Are these groomers taking size and condition of pet into consideration? Are these groomers charging by breed or hour? Do they charge more for difficult dogs? I know that groomers charge different ways. I agree with the comment about store fronts and mobiles also being capable of not reporting income. I dont think your place of business means you do or do not report income. People at all walks of life cheat or dont cheat Uncle Sam.
                        Well, I can't answer that for sure, but I can say that there is at least ONE shop in town that starts their cocker prices $10 less than mine!

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I was out on a mobile job last week and a woman with two Bichons came up to the van and was asking me about the service and pricing. I told her $50-something per dog. She kinda sheepishly laughed and said, "you won't believe what I've been paying.... $45 total for BOTH." The grooms weren't good (not horrible, but not good), so the Devil on my left shoulder wanted to blurt out, "well, ya get what ya pay for, dontcha...." Instead, I just said, "I hope you tip her well cuz you're getting a DEAL there. Just out of curiosity, where are you going that is so low?" She said, "So-and-so at the vet's down Antioch." Now, this is an affluent area--NO reason this groomer should be charging 1982 prices. The woman stayed around chatting with me for awhile, saying she'd have to think about taking such a price jump, but she did hate leaving the dogs all day and having to wait several weeks for an appointment.

Would it be tacky of me to stop in that vet clinic and talk to that groomer about this (and the "other") grooming website, so she can enter the 21st Century and NOT have to groom 25 dogs a day to make a living???

Comment

As a home groomer with a Salon in my garage I absolutely pay taxes...I am no less legitimate than any other business. I am licensed, insured and everything else it takes to run a business - like others mentioned it has nothing to do with being at home. It is the law! I have no choice, I wouldn't be able to operate in our town if I wasn't legitimate. In response to Wet Noze's post, I am comparable to all the Groomer's in my area as far as pricing. What I offer may not be so comparable however. My clients know they get more for what they pay for when they come to me as compared to a couple of the other shops in our area - it is becuase I am home based and also becuase I am the owner and have the freedom to run the shop the way I want. I cater to my clients needs and they know it. There is a groomer in our area that goes to your home to do grooming - she and another shop are by far the cheapest I have ever seen. I would not be able to afford to offer prices as low as they do. But their clients are getting what they pay for. Our styles of grooming are completely different and I can respect that. Even with their extremely low grooming prices, I still stay busy - so they aren't hurting me. I personally think there's a place for us all.

Comment

I am a home groomer also, I do charge a bit more than the shops around I give better service and individual attention to each pet. I do tawxes insurance and all that I am legal.

Comment

Working...
                              X