Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Emergency - How Do I Tactfully Close The Salon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Emergency - How Do I Tactfully Close The Salon?

We had a death in the family over the weekend...It was somewhat expected, but not this soon. I've had no time to prepare! I'll be flying out Wed-Tues (to AZ)...So my question??? I have booked appointments for most of these days. I haven't called to re-schedule them yet (I just booked the flight today). I wanted to get opinions on what to say when I call them and what to expect from clients after I tell them - I don't know if I can deal with alot of angry people right now. Most I think will be understanding, but some are new and have had these appointments for several weeks and I don't know them at all. I'm so afraid to annoy people with inconvenience, but I have no choice. I just need advice on how to do it professionally yet tastefully. Also, while I'm gone, should I also leave it on my answering machine the dates I'll be closed? Thanks in advance for all the advice and support - I'm emotionally exhausted!

Sorry to hear of your loss. Explain your situation. If they get anger with you and don't re-book then they aren't worth having as clients.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers.

I'm sure that MOST people could not be angry in this situation and will happily reschedule with you. I would however, go ahead and have the reschedule dates ready when you call. I would also definately use the machine to let people know what is going on and that you will return their messages as soon as you are back to work (giving the date). You might want to NOT schedule any appointments your first day back and use that time to "catch up" Make return calls, manage your upcoming schedule, and get some rest.

Take care

Comment

Heres the first thing. Any client that does not understand a death in the family will be no client of mine. They call and reschedule because they farted and it smelled like marigolds, so don't hesetate for feel bad about this. I would just call and tell them why you are calling and reschedule them. If they give you ****, don't reschedule them.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

So sorry about your loss

I think it sounds like you're on the right track already. Like you said, just call anyone with a scheduled appointment and either reschedule or tell them you will call back to reschedule when you're able. Also, your idea about leaving a short message on your answering machine with the dates you'll be closed for those you have not been in contact with is a good idea.

Don't worry, new clients and old will understand. Your ideas are about as tactful as it gets. I know you're worried about your business but your family is your priority right now. Take the time you need and I'm sure everything will be OK. If anyone gets angry about it, quite frankly, I think they have a screw loose and you don't need clients like that.

Again, very sorry about your loss. Hope you're doing OK. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Comment

If your clients don't understand, that gives you a insight to just how good of a client they really are. Call everyone and BRIEFLY explain the situation and set a "call back" day for when you return, don't spend hours on the phone rebooking today. Assure them they will be given priority scheduling and keep it short. As for your phone message........

XYZ grooming will be closed the week of (enter week) due to an out of state family emergency, I will return calls on the (enter date) . Please keep your messaage as brief as possible, thank you in advance for your understanding."

Comment

I hope you're doing ok. I know how it is when you are expecting someone to die. It's still very sad though.

Yes it would be best to leave on the machine when you will be gone. Then hopefully you wont get angry people when you do finally call them back to schedule an appointment.

Just explain what happened to your clients and if the new ones seem bothered by that and not understanding then they must have only themselves and have no love in their heart. You wouldn't need them anyway.

Fly safe.
              Becky

Comment

I hope

anyone will be understanding and even helpful when you call them. If they are not, wish them well, and get off the phone. Just state what happened and that you will do everything you can to accomodate them, but you will be unavailable for those certain days and will re-book according to when appointments were made originally. (don't let them know you might not remember, sound sure, they'll never know)

Bless you at this time.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Please accept my condolences at this difficult time.

You don't owe anyone more than the briefest of explinations. "I'm terribly sorry, but there has been a death in the family and I must reschedule your appointment. I'm sure you understand." If you can't handle saying "...death in the family..." or you don't want to play 20 questions, substitute family emergency.

Your answering machine message can be similar. "Thank you for calling. We will be closed from XXX through XXX due to a death in the family. Leave your name and number and I will return your call between XXX and XXX. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

If you're up to it, put a sign on your shop window "Closed until XXX due to family emergency"

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Even when it's expected it's still difficult.

When my boss has had family emergencies we did as everyone suggested. We called, and explained that there was an emergency, that we would be gone x date to x date, and most were very fine with switching appointments, and very understanding. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if you're shop it's probably a good idea to put a sign on the door explaining that you will be gone for however many days.

I will be sending thoughts and prayers your way for this difficult time!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

wow! I had tears in my eyes reading all the reply's...Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. I can't tell you what it means to me. Bless you all!

Comment

I, too, am so sorry for you and your family. I had to go to a customer's daughter's service, and had to cancel some appointments. I told them I was very sorry for the inconvenience, but obviously this was not planned for. Then without waiting for a response, I thanked them for their understanding. It would take a real jerk to give you a hard time after you've thanked them for being understanding. If they aren't, then they have a major problem and God forbid they ever need someone to be flexible in a time of great need.
                        Erin
                        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I actually ran into a situation like this when I still had my shop. I would call everyone on the schedule and explain that due to extenuating circumstances you will be out of the shop between such and such dates. I would explain that it’s a family emergency and then offer to reschedule them as soon as possible. You’ll be surprised how many people will understand. Especially your regular clients. Most people have been in a situation like this at some point in their life, so in most cases your clients will be understanding because they’ve been there too. If they don’t understand, then perhaps they should seek out another groomer. And yes, I would change your machine to let anyone who calls know that your out due to extenuating circumstances.

I’m very sorry for your loss; I know how draining it can be. I just went through a loss in December. You and your family are in my prayers and I hope that you can find peace in the coming days.

Comment

Sorry for your loss; my prayers to you and your family. I can't add any more to what everyone else suggested. I can't see anyone giving you flack for having to go to a funeral, but if they do they aren't worth keeping as clients anyway. Take care of yourself.

Comment

My sincerest condolences to you at this difficult time.

Like everyone else said, most people won't give it a second thought. I've had to cancel on a new client I hadn't even met before because my dad was rushed to the ER one time. (He is fine.) If someone is upset enough to be stupid then you really don't want to have to deal with that person on a regular basis anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X