shaving down short haired dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaving down short haired dogs

Do any of you shave down short haired dogs such as labs? I hate doing this and tell customers no. What do you do?

I do. I don't like to, but I do. If you don't, they'll just go somewhere else and have it done.

I groom labs and pugs with a #7 reverse (I also use the clipper vac with the lowest amount of suction). THey look velvety. I've never had a problem with it.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I used to have to shave down a basset at one place I worked. It sucked. Now that I can choose, It's not something I offer for shorthaired dogs.

Comment

I don't like to do it, but if it's a house dog, I'll 7 blade it if I can't talk them out of it. My refusing to do it won't stop it from happening, they'll just take it to someone else who will do it. It's almost always because the owner is tired of vacuuming up hair on a daily basis, and let's face it, no amount of brushing is going to stop that. I don't think it hurts the dogs as long as they live indoors.

Comment

Sure, why not. It's not going to hurt them. We have mainly labs in terms of short haired dogs getting shaved. Heck, I have two beagles, and I shave them down!
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I'll do it, but it's usually people who don't like the shedding. I inform them that shaving a dog doesn't stop shedding, they still shed but the hair is now micro and will get stuck in their skin. I've had a few clients tell me that I was right and they are pulling hair out of their arms and such, but at least they don't SEE it on the furniture now. Hey it's more money... LOL......
            Becky

Comment

I give my own beagle a mohawk using a #10.

I used to have a customer in VA with two labs, they got a #9 a/o plus the furminator treatment. A $200/month bill to get rid of dog hair! I'm guessing someone in the house was allergic.
              Attached Files

Comment

I try to talk them out of it, but I do it, and I charge quite a bit.... a stupidity fee, if you will (but of course I don't say that to the customer).....

Comment

We get a few that want Labs shaved. Like everyone else says they'll get it done someplace if we don't do it. And it is fast easy money.

Lisa

Comment

Sure I do it. Why not take their money. Not my dog and I don't have to look at it lol. It does over time ruin their coats though.
                    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If the customer wants it and it doesn't hurt the pet, I'll do it. I don't think it's attractive, but who am I to judge what they want their own animal to look like?

I used to shave my own Lab when he got over 10. We lived in FL, he slept in my bed and he had cancer. It was easier to keep him comfortable with less hair...plus I was having to change the sheets on my bed EVERY DAY>>>NOT!!!

Comment

I do it too. I usually do a #5 in reverse, or a little longer. I always follow up with the Furminator so it truly helps with the shedding. I do this to my own lab. (I live in Arizona, so cold weather is not an issue. If it IS winter, and they are worried about the dog being chilly when it goes out, I just recommend a sweater or waiting until warmer temps). I don't even have any clients with an "outdoor dog". I also get some requests so that treating their skin condition is easier. If it is something that can spread to other pets, I just disinfect my equipment (and my apron, etc) and follow up with a good oiling on the blades. I wash/clip in their home/garage/outside instead of my mobile unit. (Keep in mind, I am a CVT and when I do this, it is because my clinic recommended it and referred them to me specifically...I can just see the replies from this now, LOL! Helping clients treat and control skin conditions is something I have plenty of experience in, in-clinic and in their homes FYI.) I think if a client requests this for shedding/allergies, you should definately follow up with some deshedding of the undercoat. They look sooo much smoother, even if you already do it in reverse. I don't clip the whole leg, just skim where I need to, to blend everything nicely. I usually go with the grain with the same blade for the tail, and the head gets blended however looks best for the individual dog.

Comment

Sure, I'll shave them. As others have said, if I don't, someone else will. I shave a bassett hound that comes in every four weeks. The wife can't stand the shedding, and the alternative was to get rid of the dog. A no brainer IMO.
                          I'll do anything an owner requests, as long as it's not harmful to the animal. If it gets them more love and affection at home, it's good.

Comment

Absolutely I'll shave them and have several as regular customers!! I don't mind doing it, and don't think it's difficult at all. I've never shaved a Lab though, most of the short/slick haired dogs I shave are small like beagles and the short haired terrier type mixes. Good luck!

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would not want to do this. I shave my own dogs. It does help with the dog hair in the house and on your clothes. I have many customers that do this also. If that is what they want, do it your making money from it. I think some dogs even look better if their heads are blended correctly and there are no track marks on the dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X