Cat Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Attacks

Here is an article about a woman whose cat attacked her after she simply opened the door. And her last sentence in the article? "This isn't the first time."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17557841/

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

TAKE IT TO THE SHELTER????

That cat needs to go to the vet to be PTS immediately. Why would this person even CONSIDER passing this vicious animal on to someone else? That is absolute idiocy!

If an animal is vicious, it does not need to be kept alive! It's an ANIMAL, not a person. Human lives and human safety---and even the lives/safety of the countless perfectly nice and healthy (mentally and physically) animals needing homes are FAR more valuable than the life of an animal like that! The animal rights way of thinking--to place animals on an equal plane with humans--is insanity.

Comment

Cats can kill!

Spikey,

One of my customers was bit on the ankle by his cat and he died a week later from complications from the bite.

Chuck

Comment

HOLY CATS!! HE DIED FROM THE BITE WOUND? MAN, I'M GLAD I DON'T GROOM CATS ANYMORE! THATS HORRIBLE! I had a silver shaded persian, back 14 years ago. He was very affectionate until my daughter was born. After I brought her home from the hospital, he started "stalking" me. He would growl at me, stalk me like he was going to attack or something. Ears laid back...growling! gave me cold chills. I gave him to a friend of mine that already had 9 cats. He did great! never had a problem with him??? I never understood his behavior change, other than to say he was jealous? dunno

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you all, that is why I emphasized her last sentence, "This wouldn't be the first time." OH MY HECK, that is scary.

THe problem is that people don't seem to give any credit to cat bites. Even my own husband who likes cats said, "I was bitten by many cats when I was young and I never had a problem." My response? "Yeah, well, neato for you, I've heard stories of people dying from them or being in the hospital for WEEKS from them!"

If I get any sense of naughtiness at all in a cat I groom, it's either DONE, or I'm getting help. No way am I going to risk myself too much to groom a cat. That's what TDK is for, lol.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            Spikey,

One of my customers was bit on the ankle by his cat and he died a week later from complications from the bite.

Chuck
            Chuck, I just told my husband what you said in this post. Do you know what he said? "Hmm. The cat must have had a disease!" I said, "I don't think so."

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I can't believe the owner's solution is take it to the shelter, that only makes the cat the other's problem.

Comment

Wow!

Talk about an animal not playing with a full deck! Very scary stuff, and how sad for the owner.

Comment

Got to the bone.

Spikey,

The owner had a compromised immune system and was elderly. But there have been many people who have died from the resulting infections caused by cat bites. Tell your husband he was lucky. I know of groomers who have lost their hands and arms from cat bites.

Thats why we "always" use e-collars. They are your best protection, other then the Groomers Helper of course.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                    Yeah, I'm with you all, that is why I emphasized her last sentence, "This wouldn't be the first time." OH MY HECK, that is scary.Tammy in Utah
                    I was referring to the remainder of the "this isn't the first time"... line. Where the woman says she's going to take the cat to the shelter. No shelter--VET's office for immediate disposal of that dangerous cat! Nice of her to risk the health/safety of the shelter workers because she can't make the right decision....

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                      I was referring to the remainder of the "this isn't the first time"... line. Where the woman says she's going to take the cat to the shelter. No shelter--VET's office for immediate disposal of that dangerous cat! Nice of her to risk the health/safety of the shelter workers because she can't make the right decision....
                      You said it. I can't imagine why anyone would put up with that. I wouldn't take the cat to a shelter either, not if it's attacking, acting like a nut job.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I know of a groomer that was bit by a cat and had a miscarrige two days later. It was so sad , she was 6 months!

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                          Chuck, I just told my husband what you said in this post. Do you know what he said? "Hmm. The cat must have had a disease!" I said, "I don't think so."

Tammy in Utah
                          Just what disease, other than rabies, does your husband think a cat can have that will kill a human that quickly? Especially when the cat doesn't appear to be ill in the first place. Granted, there are plenty of zoonitic diseases, some of them deadly. But in most cases the animal is pretty sick before the human gets sick.

A cat's mouth harbors some pretty heavy duty bacteria. And their teeth are like large bore needles. Unlike dogs, who tend to bite an tear, cats tend to just bite. In effect they're innoculating you with whatever bacteria they have living in their mouths. If you do a good job of flushing the wounds, and you have a very healthy immune system, you might beat the infection. But you might not. And when you don't, you could be in for a long haul. He should ask a couple of ER doctors and nurses what they think about cat bites.

Comment

Oh my gosh!!! She shouldn’t take it to the shelter. What if someone adopts it with a small child?!! That just scares me to death to think an unsuspecting family could adopt this ticking time bomb!!! I know of someone who did this with a dog that snapped at their toddler. They took it to the shelter, but they were too embarrassed to admit it was their own dog. They said it was a stray that showed up at their house. Shame on them!! They should have at least informed them that the dog was aggressive towards children to insure that it was adopted by a home with adults only. But back to the cat, I do agree that if it’s that aggressive towards humans, it should be euthanized.

Comment

I made an old customer really upset w/me. They had a ShepX that was a BIG fruitcake. It took a loooong time before this dog would trust me, and for me not to worry that she would bite me when I was walking or bathing her. She kenneled w/me quite a lot. Anyway, these people had elementary school age kids and apparently Abby bit one of their friends on two separate occasions. The parents of the child threatened law-suit after the second bite if they didn't get rid of the dog. They kenneled her w/me for a while so they could try to find her a home, but of course no one wanted a mean dog (they were honest at that point). Then they decided to take her to the shelter to give her a better chance!!!!! I told them to watch the headlines to see if they ever saw Abby. They just paid the bill, gave me an ugly look and walked out the door. The positive thing is that my local shelter probably euthanized her straight off anyway because she was extremely animal aggressive as well. I never saw any headlines, so I kept my fingers crossed!
                              Last edited by sheilabgroomer; 03-13-07, 01:42 AM.
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X