how to word raising prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to word raising prices

how do you word that you are going to have a price raise.

Im giving myself a raise as of April 15th..your price will increase by $5.00..lol

Comment

We posted this the last time we had an across the board increase. We did do up a letter for an additional increase, which I can post if you need.
      Effective Jan 1st 2006 there will be a Moderate price increase for some pets. Please feel free to bring up any concerns or questions regarding this policy.

Comment

When I first posted a sign announcing my price increase, I had a long explanation for it. But then I thought, "Why do I need to explain my reasoning?" So I took it down, and now all it says is Due to rising costs, price increase is as follows.

I don't think I raised my prices enough, but it's a start.

Comment

We posted a sign on the front counter back in October explaining that as of January 1, 2007 we would be raising prices slightly. I think as long as people are warned in advance they really have no right to complain. If they don't want to pay the increased prices they have plenty of time to make other arrangements. So far we have had a couple make smarta** remarks about how their dogs haircut cost so much more than their own haircut, and a couple changed from every 4 weeks to every 5 weeks, like that extra $5.00 is going to break them, but other than that no one seemed to care. One lady said "I'm so glad you raised your prices because you really deserve it". In her case we really do because her dogs are big and filthy and she's always late picking them up.

Comment

in over 25 years of grooming I have never posted, written or said anything ahead of time. When they come in I tell them their next grooming will be $3.00 or so more as rent/expenses have gone up. A few had a few choice words for me (raised them after 2 years) and a few said 'you are worth it'. Letters, like posts, can have so many meanings construed out of them.

Just say it in a kind, business-like manner and they will understand. I would also spell out to them how long this price increase will hold. If you raise annually a few dollars be honest. If this price increase is every 2 years tell them that also so they dont think you raise $5 each year. A bit much for most folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
              We posted a sign on the front counter back in October explaining that as of January 1, 2007 we would be raising prices slightly. I think as long as people are warned in advance they really have no right to complain. If they don't want to pay the increased prices they have plenty of time to make other arrangements. So far we have had a couple make smarta** remarks about how their dogs haircut cost so much more than their own haircut, and a couple changed from every 4 weeks to every 5 weeks, like that extra $5.00 is going to break them, but other than that no one seemed to care. One lady said "I'm so glad you raised your prices because you really deserve it". In her case we really do because her dogs are big and filthy and she's always late picking them up.

Next time they complain that their dog's haircut costs more than their own, ask them if their hair stylist expresses their anal glands or shaves their butts. That'll quiet them down in no time.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

We posted a sign last June, "Effictive Aug 1st, all full groom prices will increase by $3.00. Bath only and nail trims will stay the same. All prices include state sales tax." I dated the sign the day I put it up and it's still hanging now since lots of folks seem to think the first price they ever paid should be set in stone. Maybe I should just leave it up and raise prices every August!

Comment

I made it simple,put on a bright orange cardboard sign in November,
                  no price on it since some went up $1.00 - $2.00.

Price Increase
                  January 2007

Comment

WHY do we "need" to justify raising prices? Can you think of ANY other business that basically asks the customer's permission to raise pricing?

A simple sign is all that is needed: Effective 4/1/07, we will be raising our grooming prices by $5.

If you are apologetic or hesitant with ANY client, then they will see it as you not feeling WORTH the prices you need to make a comfortable living.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                      WHY do we "need" to justify raising prices? Can you think of ANY other business that basically asks the customer's permission to raise pricing?

A simple sign is all that is needed: Effective 4/1/07, we will be raising our grooming prices by $5.

If you are apologetic or hesitant with ANY client, then they will see it as you not feeling WORTH the prices you need to make a comfortable living.
                      Amen to that, sista!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a form clients sign that says "Prices are subject to change without notice," basically.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I misworded the last sentence...

I MEANT to say, they'll perceive you as not being a professional deserving of appropriate pay for your training and skills.

On another list I'm on, someone posted about Suze Orman having a show about how women put their skills/professions 'on sale'--we often undersell because we worry that people won't want to pay what we are truly worth. Suze gave an example of a female architect who was only charging $65 an hour for her services; she'd raised her fee to $85 an hour and was feeling "guilty"--when the market average is $100 an hour. Suze advised her to raise her fee to $120 an hour and if anyone said anything, chalk it up to the high cost of running a business. Now, I know there are male groomers out there, but this IS a female-dominated profession--and I believe that the "glass ceiling" in female wages is NOT totally the fault of the corporations or the government or whatever some tend to blame it on.

Comment

When I do my georcory shopping, I used to notice that prices have been raising all the time. For example, a jar of kimchi ( Korean style perserved veg )used to be $19.99-21.99, and I paid $24.99, which was 15%-20% more, last week. I didn't say anything, just bought it and it is the same in the restaurants.
                          I only explained to people who I knew might mind about my 10-15% raised prices, and everyone just accepted that, whether I explain to them or not. K9stylist1968 is right, don't sell ourself short, b/c we worth more than that.
                          I certainly wasn't the cheap one in my area already, but owners come for service, not for cheap price.

Comment

I just sent out a letter that said due to an increase in insurance, prices for small dogs and medium double coated dogs would be increasing. (This is true, went up $107 a month after they processed the fact that I moved my biz from VA to AZ!) The tiny guys went up $10 (I finally calculated what my bare min. fee would be...I am mobile), the others went up $5 to $10. I sent letters out 2 months in advance, and just started quoting new clients the new fee immediatly. I apologized if it caused any inconvenience. I did not raise prices for about 2 or 3 clients, because they use me every 2 - 4 weeks, and pay a huge tip that more than compensates for my increase...they are my "special treatment" clients. They are just so nice to me and seem so appreciative that I don't mind going the extra mile for them...plus, their dogs are soooo easy! When I increase for 2008, I will be simple about it. I will just politely state that there are new fees for the new year, and list their fee in the letter. Done and done.

Comment

" In order to provide you with the same quality services and products you become accustom to we will raise all grooming prices effective April 2 . Thank you for your continued support."

Comment

Working...
                              X