my own Chinese Crested puppy w/?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my own Chinese Crested puppy w/?'s

I bought my daughter a 12 week old Chinese Crested puppy. What suggestions would you have on taking care of her skin? I've never seen one here, so this is a first. I know they will sunburn and that kind of stuff, and food allergies..but what treatments do I use on her skin for protection? thanks for all your help!!! oh, her name is Piglet! cute huh? lol

Can't help you, but wondering if you're going to change your name to hairlessdevil now???
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

How sweet!

The people I've talked to that show them recommend Corn Huskers lotion for their skin- it's easy to get in most drug stores, and a bottle ought to last you a long time for one dog. Be careful with sun exposure, too.
      Also, they need to be shaved if you want to keep them truly smooth, and not have all of those little wiry hairs poking out all over them.lol
      They don't use dog clippers, they use electric lady's shavers.
      Love her name! :-)

Comment

hey hairless devil! rofl I like that one! too funny!!

Comment

Some of them can be prone to blackheads, and the breeders I've talked to recommend a brown sugar/olive oil scrub once a week if you start to see bumps. Just use a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, add enough olive oil to make a slurry, apply, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, then massage to exfoliate the skin. Follow that with a hypoallergenic shampoo. Corn Huskers lotion is a great moisturizer, and won't contribute to the formation of blackheads.

Of course, you'll need sweaters for cold weather. Wash them often. A dirty sweater can contribute to skin problems. And watch the texture of the sweater. You don't want to use a rough, abrasive fabric that could irritate the skin. No wool! Many cresteds are allergic to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
            Some of them can be prone to blackheads, and the breeders I've talked to recommend a brown sugar/olive oil scrub once a week if you start to see bumps. Just use a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, add enough olive oil to make a slurry, apply, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, then massage to exfoliate the skin. Follow that with a hypoallergenic shampoo. Corn Huskers lotion is a great moisturizer, and won't contribute to the formation of blackheads.

Of course, you'll need sweaters for cold weather. Wash them often. A dirty sweater can contribute to skin problems. And watch the texture of the sweater. You don't want to use a rough, abrasive fabric that could irritate the skin. No wool! Many cresteds are allergic to it.
            Owie itchy! I can't imagine wool on bare skin! Interesting advice, Helly, I never would have expected to hear olive oil and brown sugar to be slathered on a dog. Hope nobody mistakes it for a goodie and eats it!

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

hey Helly! thats a good pointer! brown sugar and olive oil..all natural...wow I will use that one for sure!! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                hey Helly! thats a good pointer! brown sugar and olive oil..all natural...wow I will use that one for sure!! thanks!
                Hey, try it on your own face or other dry skin areas on your bod. It works wonders. The sugar is not only a mild abrasive to help slough off dead skin, it draws out impurities. You can mix up a poltice of soap and sugar to draw out infection (and hair splinters), too.

The best part? It doesn't matter if the dog licks it. And if there's a bit of residue left on the skin somewhere, it won't do a bit of harm.

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                  I bought my daughter a 12 week old Chinese Crested puppy. What suggestions would you have on taking care of her skin? I've never seen one here, so this is a first. I know they will sunburn and that kind of stuff, and food allergies..but what treatments do I use on her skin for protection? thanks for all your help!!! oh, her name is Piglet! cute huh? lol
                  I am so jealous. I have wanted a hairless chinese crested for sooooo long. I WILL get one someday.

Pleeeeeaaaase post a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                    Owie itchy! I can't imagine wool on bare skin! Interesting advice, Helly, I never would have expected to hear olive oil and brown sugar to be slathered on a dog. Hope nobody mistakes it for a goodie and eats it!

Tammy in Utah
                    What? You've never heard of wool socks? Never worn a wool sweater?

Yeah, they are itchy, LOL.

And it wouldn't matter if somebody did mistake the sugar and olive oil for a goodie and eats it. It's food.

Comment

Originally posted by scrubapup View Post
                      I am so jealous. I have wanted a hairless chinese crested for sooooo long. I WILL get one someday.

Pleeeeeaaaase post a picture.
                      heres the contact info if you want to call the breeder, [email protected]
                      website is www.west10.gotpetsonline.com

sad, she is 12 weeks old and I am her 3rd owner already! first lady said she was too active for her 2 year old! duh, hello?
                      previous owner said she already had 3 other dogs, and 4th was too much! Do people just not understand all this before they purchase a puppy or are they just so compulsive? I will never understand people.. I would post pics but don't have a digital cam and I can't figure out how to send it from my cell phone lol its a blond thing! lol

Comment

c crested

We have a CC and I don't maintain his skin at all other than regular baths with a mild shampoo.
                        He does have blackheads now and then but nothing serious. He does have seasonal allergies. Takes Prednisone for that. Living in Florida, he'd be miserable if he didn't get his meds. We have yearly bloodwork done to keep track of his liver function. So far so good. He's about 6 years old.

If I put lotion on him he'd probably lick it off. LOVES to eat!!

Helly's right on about the wool. I have nothing wool in the house period.

I've never used sunscreen on him. He's out for about a half hour 3-5 times a day average, with access to shade. He's a reddish brown and creme color.

Great velcro dog! Very sweet and loving.

Not the brightest crayon in the box tho! (So he fits right in. )

Erica

Comment

I really like a product by Chris Christensen. Its called Ice on Ice. It can be used to dematt, as a conditioner, and finishing spray. It has sunscreen in it, and I like the fact that it doesn’t have an odor. At least not to my nose. Anyways, I would usually spritz it on the only Chinese Crested we groom, or any light coated dogs that got taken down really short.

Comment

Working...
                          X