Tip Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Question

i want to be fair,and do the right thing,but i want to be fair to myself too,i have a bather that comes in approx.3 days a week she hasnt been there to long,she just bathes dogs thats it,no brushing,ears,or nails,and ive been splitting my tips with her evenly,my friends,hubby,and local shop owners think im a big sap to do this,i feel bad for her shes a single mom,but hey my shops not doing that well i need the money too,a perfect example one of my regular clients with a shi,they just love me for some reason,they own a hom here,but spend most of their time at there home in palm springs,well they were here yesterday to do repairs on there home here asked if i could grrom jake i said sure,i gave him the haircut,but she bathed him,they never tip which is ok,because they are nice,but they said they missed me ay x-mas and gave me a 20 dollar tip,well stupid me i split it with my bather,she makes 9 bucks an hour,my friends say i should of just given her a couple of bucks
    advice please what would you guys do??
    thanks
    trish

If you are splitting tips then mabye you should teach her to do nails and ears. There are benefits to doing that stuff before that bath. She is getting an hourly rate and you are doing most of the work. I think you are a generous person for doing that, but ask her if she would be willing to do nails and ears before bath and see what she says
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Do what makes you feel good. Who cares what others think? You are the one that has to live with your decisions.

I can say that (being a bather), a tip or some other form of recognition does a world of good for moral. It also makes you a bit more consciencious of the job you do.

Maybe you could base your tip-off on the job she is doing. This may vary from dog to dog, but let her know with each bath, how she could improve. I bet you would see a big change. Heck, you may even want to teach her how to do the other things. That's a win-win for both of you.

I commend you for your thoughtfulness, caring, and consideration.

Comment

Don't loose her over tips! If she good at what she does and is reliable, give her some of the tips from baths only. Besides unless she's hovering over you, how would she know how many tip you receive??

Comment

I'm with you on that. When I was in NY I split all my tips evenly with my bather. Without a proper bath the dog's wont look as good. You may be doing all the hard work and more work, but she is saving you time and helping the dogs look good..

It's all up to you, don't let anyone tell you how you should do something.
          Becky

Comment

There are 3 of us in our shop, me, the other groomer/co owner and our bather. All tips are put in a tin and usually at the end of a week we'll split the tips. I give the bather 1/4 and then the other owner and I split the rest evenly. ($100 in tips for the week = $25 for bather and $37.50 each for us) I may never touch a dog that a tip has been given for and vice versa, it's just easier and simpler to split everything evenly b/c we're all working in some way or another. The bather only baths and fluffs out, nothing else concerning the dog so I think 1/4 is fair plus she is paid hourly. In your case you've already started with 1/2 so it would be hard to cut back but I guess if it were just me and a bather I would probably consider half too depending on what other responsibilities she had.

Comment

They're your tips. Do what you want with them. And don't tell anyone else what you're doing. It should be between you, the bather, and the fly on the wall.

Comment

The Golden Rule

I think this applies to this situation. Do unto others as if you would like them to do unto you......or pay it forward, one good deed..etc. and add what the others have said, "don't tell anyone"..

Comment

When I was a bather, it made my day when a customer would tip and specifically say "this is for the BATHER". Otherwise the owner would keep 100% of the tips on bath dogs. I agree that for a bather, it makes a world of difference to be recognized in any way. Even if it's buying pizza for lunch, splitting tips, or just telling her how much you appreciate her. It's not an easy job, as we all know! I think you're very generous to be doing what you do; good for you.

Comment

I really think that it is something that you should decide. Don't let others influence. Is your bather happy? Will you risk losing her if you cut tips? Just some things to think about.
                    FYI, the bathers at the shop that I work at get the tip split evenly. They just bathe and dry. BUT, they also don't make nine dollars an hour like you mentioned.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

remember

I was a bather at one place, and one groomer always gave me some of the tip she got on any dog she was tipped on.

I always respected her more than anybody else.
                      She made me feel like I was more than just a grunt.
                      The only other coments I ever got, where when something
                      was wrong. Never when something was right or well done.
                      She taught me how to treat people.

I don't see how a couple dollars of money you might not have gotten anyways, could be spent more wisely.

Comment

wow i wish i was paid 9 dollars an hour! LOL! but as for tips...the last place i worked at...the OWNER of the dog would usually give me the tip themselves and not hand it to my boss. it is up to you to give her tips if you wish to. she will really enjoy working for you and remember you as the really great boss who split the tips with her. also ask her if she would be willing to learn how to do nails,ears and pads. then if you really wanted to you can show her how to groom bbt dogs...and give her half or 40 percent of that groom. believe me...i wish i had had a boss as nice as you...i was only paid per dog AND i did some of the clients...AND she NEVER gave me any extra money for doing all the work on the dog! that 60 dollar collie i brushed out for her and she just trimmed the feet? got 4 dollars for bathing it. never saw an extra dime. same with that 70 dollar pyr...washed,dried AND groomed one of them...she just trimmed feet...saw 4 dollars for it. although with the collies and the pyrs (there were 3 of each) she WOULD help wash and dry them...but she would still pay me as if i washed and dried all 3. but...if she washed two and i washed one and dried three...then its still all fair correct? i felt i got ripped off of money i should have been getting...but stupid me didnt say a dang word..figured she might fire me if i said something...well i ended up getting fired ANYWAYS so it wouldnt have mattered.
                        i say...split the tips with her if you want to. do you pay her daily or once a week? what three days does she come in and work? if its the last three days of the week...i would just write down the total of the tips that you got for the three days she worked...and then add it to her check.
                        JMO
                        Hound

Comment

We split tips evenly also! They are split every day and are according to either hours worked or full day/half day equivalents. I think it is fair really. I have always told everyone if they want to opt out they can. No body has yet. It stops a whole bunch of greediness.

Comment

Originally posted by redbird View Post
                            I was a bather at one place, and one groomer always gave me some of the tip she got on any dog she was tipped on.

I always respected her more than anybody else.
                            She made me feel like I was more than just a grunt.
                            The only other coments I ever got, where when something
                            was wrong. Never when something was right or well done.
                            She taught me how to treat people.

I don't see how a couple dollars of money you might not have gotten anyways, could be spent more wisely.
                            BAthers are not grunts, I'd rather hire 3 bathers and groom all the dogs myself, sometimes groomers can be such diva's.

Comment

I have a bather, and if somone tips on a dog that is a bath only, I give her the whole tip. Its hers and I think motivates her to do a good job and it tickles her to death to get a tip! If I get a tip on a groomed dog, I keep that tip for me...It works for us I also give her the tip when its tipped, not at the end of the week..

Comment

Working...
                              X